Clear All

• August 2021 finds

The first one is an interloper - I neglected to include it yesterday;

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 August 2021 007.JPG
Views:	767
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1057096

I've not listened to it yet. It looks a bit earnest. Orch backing on a couple of tracks was what swayed it.

Name:	1 August 2021 015.JPG
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	1057097

There were a few Arthur Lyman records there today. This was the cheapest.

Name:	1 August 2021 016.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1057098

Great photo on the sleeve. It was probably an influence on the purchase, Spanish guitar not being my normal thing.

Name:	1 August 2021 011.JPG
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1057099

I've never heard these guys before. Hence this and the next 3.

Name:	1 August 2021 013.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1057100

Name:	1 August 2021 010.JPG
Views:	775
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1057101

Name:	1 August 2021 012.JPG
Views:	798
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1057102

And there was this:

Name:	1 August 2021 014.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1057103

something to look out for is that on most of the Baja Marimba Band sleeves there's someone having a pee in the background.
    It was Julius Wechter's band - he replaced Arthur Lyman on vibes in Martin Denny's band and after writing "Spanish Flea" for Herb Alpert formed his own band on Alpert's suggestion. Don't think I actually have any LPs, just a couple of 45s ("Along Came Mary" was a Northern soul spin)

Comment

At least 2 of those are WRC sleeves - not their best work. Still not listened.
      Grim Lounge Cowboy
      Electric Banana
      Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 03-08-2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
        At least 2 of those are WRC sleeves - not their best work. Still not listened.
        Whatever happened to all your hardcore modern composition finds? I'm missing those since you came over all exotic, like.
        "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

I still play the old faves.

One problem is that the hit rate is too low. Back when there was a big sale here that was less of a problem.

I got a Rzewski lp from DustyGroove a couple of months ago. The first listen didn’t impress.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post

Name:	1 August 2021 014.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1057103
            Looks interesting. He appears on this which is a nice comp:
            https://www.discogs.com/Alex-Attias-...release/349393

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

I’ve listened on YouTube. Not sure it is a keeper. Surprisingly mainstream.

Comment

It seems to have been a good month for finds here. I finally scored a copy of a vulture classic in the wild. Misty by Collage. 50p.
                Skip
                Animated Egg
                Last edited by Skip; 04-08-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I've been quite lucky these past few weeks getting in commission bids at auctions on boxes of LP's and leaving it to fate whether I won them or not.
                  Thankfully some gems have turned up most notably a very unusual edition of Sgt Pepper which I'd not seen before along with a collection of Blues & Folk albums.

From the front it looks like any other copy of The Beatles classic but it turned out this one was the censored issue pressed in Singapore in 1970.
                  Because of supposed drug references in 3 tracks: A Day In The Life "went upstairs and had a smoke" and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds LSD I imagine
                  and of course "I get high..." With a Little Help From My Friends these were removed and replaced by songs from Magical Mystery Tour and they still mis-spelt I Am The Walrus, incredible!

These are a a few of the Blues albums, it was a big box which I am still digging through.

A couple of cheeky albums I couldn't leave in a £1 box at a car boot sale

gotta love that sticker!

I have a couple of Blowfly's other 12 inchers but not come across this one before, arf!

some cheap seven inches

Discovered this lovely tune on this EP a close cousin of his classic Midnight, The Stars & You

A delightful folk tune singing the virtues of cigarettes in an eastern European style.

No proper sleeve but great spooky sound FX from electronic wizard Frederick Charles Judd.

Mid 70's Indian EP from a Birmingham based duo which I picked up as it had a track called Fish 'n' Chips

Bizarre 7" by the diminutive comedian which features the talents of Peter Gabriel, Robert Fripp, Phil Collins and Sandy Denny among others!

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

How's the fish n chips one?
                    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
                      How's the fish n chips one?
                      It's OK but my fave track turned out to be one on the other side called 'Up To Date Mehboob'
                      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I have another 45 by this guy, which i like! Another to keep an eye out for...

Check you PM's btw!
                        In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

From a dealer in Leighton Buzzard.
                          Attached Files
                          eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

Charity shop bargin. Later I discovered it's a northern soul favourite.
                            Attached Files
                            eat chocolate-creams with the appetite of a blase parrot. H H Munro.

Comment

If the discogs ask is anything to go by then “Misty” by Collage is close to warranting an Oooof.

Comment

Working...
                              X