Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I decided to buy some records from Brazil. What could possibly go wrong? (Another Discogs story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I decided to buy some records from Brazil. What could possibly go wrong? (Another Discogs story)

Recently I found myself with a bit of extra cash, so I thought: "I've never ordered direct from Brazil, though I love Brazilian Music". It'll be a hassle, but it might end up being a bit cheaper.

So I did a bit of research, identified a Discogs seller who had a lot of nice stock, then checked his reputation , which seemed pretty good. It was about 97% when I looked at it.

I read his profile, which mentioned a discount, varying by the amount you spent, so I contacted him and asked at what point he applied the discount. He replied that the prices shown were discount inclusive, which struck me as off, as how would he have know if you were going to qualify for a large discount or a small one.

Anyway, regardless of that ("Why oh why Turbo?) I decided to order. He had a Vinicius De Moraes & Baden Powell LP I didn't even know existed, and a few other LPs I felt like taking a punt on: Claudette Soares, Nara Leao, Gal Costa and Elza Soares ...

I ordered and paid. No acknowledgement. I waited a few days. Nothing. I politely asked him to confirm payment. That took him a week. After a couple more barely answered messages including one asking him when he was going to ship my order ("Soon"), I opened a Paypal claim against him.

At that point he replied that he had had a lot of orders, and that all his orders had been delayed. As if I gave a fuck. At least he then gave me a firm shipping date.

It took him 21 days to ship my order, and when it arrived 2 weeks after that, there was customs duty to pay on top!

I nervously took the LPs out of the well-packaged parcel and looked at the records themselves which looked OK. The jackets had been over graded (writing on labels and sleeves), but after cleaning the LPs well, they all played pretty well.

So, if there's a moral, it's read the feedback comments very carefully. Some of the seller's clients didn't even get their records or were sent the wrong ones.

It was interesting, but I doubt I'll bother again, and certainly not with that seller.

p.s. If you're thinking of ordering records from Brazil, and want to know the seller's Discogs name, P.M. me. I'll tell you.
    "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Seems like a roller coaster ride of a punt. Glad to hear you did get what you`d ordered in the long run. There are some fuckers A over here who send you records only after they pick up your payments to buy the record in question from fuckers B who actually happen to have a copy. Needless to say it is all done in such a reckless fashion on the fucker`s part that you are made to comprehend 'this is all but your fault so you`ll have to wait until I`ve bought that record for you with your money, sucker'.
    Funky Charly
    Animated Egg
    Last edited by Funky Charly; 01-09-2021, 06:43 PM.
    DANCE TO THE RADIO

Comment

Thanks, I thought I'd really come a cropper, but ended up just about OK, if rather an expensive exercise.

As for the scam you're talking about, I didn't think that kind of shit happened on Discogs, but after the length of time I waited, it seems completely possible.

Comment

97% is a pretty bad feedback score I think? bearing in mind that in lots of disputes people either leave negative feedback too hastily and it gets removed (can't leave -ve feedback until seller has had a chance to reply etc) or don't leave it for fear of retaliation etc

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
          97% is a pretty bad feedback score I think?
          Depends if its 97% of 30 sales or 3000, so difficult to tell without looking at the feedback innit.

Comment

I thought 97% would be OK. It's when you read the comments that you might start to suspect that the seller is a bit unpredictable. I think I'll stick to Disk Union for my Brazilian music needs.

Comment

Apart from the prices, have only really had joy buying and selling to Brazil. Worth paying for tracking of course.

I have recently had the longest wait between buying and receiving a record though...

I bought a 45 in January this year, just after the Brazil variant redlisting. The seller said he couldn't post as shipments were frozen. I kept the faith till July, when he sent it.

Record took three weeks to get here and landed in August, over eight months since buying.

It's the only issue (as far as I know) of a pretty remarkable Peter Gunn version...

Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post

It's the only issue (as far as I know) of a pretty remarkable Peter Gunn version...

Great record. Are you buying 'Peter Gunns'?
                "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Yup, and taking recommendations. I should do a chart...
                  Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

just after the Brazil variant redlisting.
                    What does that mean? Are we talking COVID? Not the record variant getting red-listed. Is it so contagious a version that it had to be contained by the Brazilian government?

Comment

Yup, and taking recommendations. I should do a chart...
                      https://www.discogs.com/Sandra-King-...elease/1918745

Great up-tempo vocal version on here by Brit jazz vocalist Sandra King. Cheap as chips!

Comment

Oh yes, that's in the collection already, thanks!

Comment

didn't know that Sandra King version - it's a cover of Sarah Vaughan (I presume you also have that one?)

Comment

Working...
                          X