September 2021 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 2021 finds

Car booty vinyl finds from sunny central Scotland.

I'd always known Billy Connolly was one half of this duo but this chap with The Big Yin is actually Tam Harvey who left soon after Gerry Rafferty joined.

A slightly less successful duo were father and daughter Larry & Shirley Peterson, the 7 years old yodels her way through the whole album while dad strums and grins.

I have the 1st UK issue with the T.Rex poster enclosed sticker but had not seen this Hot Car mag one before (probably as the previous owner stuck it on) but it looks good though!

Another great sticker adorns this compilation from 1970 featuring Marc's old mate and an eclectic selection of friends.

I picked this up for the cover really and because it has a version of Birthday on it which isn't the most common of Beatles covers.

In the same box were this nice pair of 70's Bond soundtracks.

The only 7" I picked up today was this curio from 1963.

I was surprised to see this unusual Italian folk and poetry album along with it's hardback book in a pound box, 2 diggers ignored it before I got my grubby mitts on it,
    I have not listened to it yet so maybe they knew something I didn't...

Last edited by Head Gardener; 05-09-2021, 05:12 PM.
    The Garden Facebook Blog

Yesterday I found these at a swap meet.

Comment

Another happy month for me with a couple of rarities hidden amongst the 78s in a charity shop.

First is Vertigo by Steve Race Bop Group from 1949. Proper modern jazz featuring Johnny Dankworth among others. The b-side is called Microcosmo.

Second is a South African jive 78! On it’s own! In Somerset! How it got here I have no idea but I’m glad it did. Discogs has a version on 45 which is presumably a later reissue. I need to work out how to add this release. It’s also on a 1962 comp but I can’t find it to stream anywhere.

A good lunchtime haul for less than a pound. I did pick up a few more 78s of the pre-war British variety. It’s hit and miss with them but if the price is right I’ll take a swing.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Skip View Post
        Another happy month for me with a couple of rarities hidden amongst the 78s in a charity shop.
        Amazing that these 78s are surviving on the way to and in charity shops. They'll be safe for another while now I presume ;-)

I haven't posted any finds for a while so here are a few ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	ma.jpg Views:	33 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	1057360
        Works Of Masaru Sato ... nice enough soundtrack music

Click image for larger version  Name:	pr.jpg Views:	35 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	1057361
        The reliable Prince Far I .... cheap because it was missing a non vital bit of vinyl

Click image for larger version  Name:	sc.jpg Views:	33 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	1057362
        A repurchase from my youth ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	sq.jpg Views:	33 Size:	169.0 KB ID:	1057363
        The only LP by an Osaka band that only got a release in France and

Click image for larger version  Name:	vin.jpg Views:	33 Size:	114.1 KB ID:	1057364
        A Vinicius & Baden LP I didn't even know existed until recently. Very good but not quite as good as Os Afro SAmbas.

Boy, I would love to go to a flea market or recycle shop ...

Last edited by Turboellis; 08-09-2021, 12:03 AM.
        "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Not posted for what seems an eternity.

Found a copy of the Raw Material - Time Is.. on RCA Neon in the middle of a load of old 70s pop and Elvis records the other week. Simply had no business being there but i was happy it was.

Comment

I think there’s something in the air (not coronavirus). The shops are being replenished by covid clearouts and the shops haven’t yet had the chance to be picked clean after lockdowns. I found Music Of Mandingo this week for the first time in roughly twenty five years of digging. I haven’t even wanted it for ten of those but I couldn’t leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by nebkins View Post
              Found a copy of the Raw Material - Time Is.. on RCA Neon in the middle of a load of old 70s pop and Elvis records the other week. Simply had no business being there but i was happy it was.
              That’s a hell of a find, well done!

Comment

Fantastic. Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by nebkins View Post
                  Not posted for what seems an eternity.

Oooooooooffffff. Nice.

Comment

There is a clip on Youtube somewhere of Takeshi Onodera and Los Onoderas doing a self-penned number in a 70s jazz mode. Not bad.

This is them attempting a late 60s tijuana-inflected jazz mode. Not good. Takes on "Mas que nada", "Manteca", "El Timbal" and "Watermelon Man" fail to impress.

Open drums left right and centre, if that is your thing.

It was a gift from Maurice at Noise Pollution. It is heading back his way shortly. Click image for larger version  Name:	9 Sept 2021 035.JPG Views:	0 Size:	179.0 KB ID:	1057383

Comment

Picked up this audio-visual extravaganza in a charity shop yesterday, and amazingly it was correctly placed in the record box. Of course, initially I just thought it had fallen in there by accident.

A postcard showing Lands End that plays Purple People Eater (singer unknown). And it plays OK.

Looking on the 'ogs it seems the Vistasound "catalog" number, in this case HR.15, relates to the track, which was accompanied by a number of different postcard scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by candiman View Post

amazingly it was correctly placed in the record box.
                        That's a moot point. It would have also been correctly placed had it been in the postcard box

he real question is why the hell does a photograph of Land's End play 'The Purple People Eater' and not this?

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	pr.jpg Views:	35 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	1057361
                          The reliable Prince Far I .... cheap because it was missing a non vital bit of vinyl

Missing the very vital input of Prince Far I though - just another Roy Cousins bending-over-that-barrel-to-get-right-to-the-very-bottom-of-it exercise

North of the River Cole

Comment

Originally posted by RedX View Post
                            Missing the very vital input of Prince Far I though - just another Roy Cousins bending-over-that-barrel-to-get-right-to-the-very-bottom-of-it exercise
                            Interesting. Haven't listened to it much yet but it seemed OK on 1st listen.

Clean yer cloth ears out Turbo!

Did anything good come out after his death?

"White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

That's a moot point. It would have also been correctly placed had it been in the postcard box

he real question is why the hell does a photograph of Land's End play 'The Purple People Eater' and not this?

Looking at he 'ogs HR.04 has the same image and plays the Cornish Floral Dance, which seems entirely appropriate.

By the later postcards it seems Vistasound were saying bugger the context and getting more out there with their music choices (or more likely just scraping together releases from whatever rights they had).

Looking at the other documented scenes of HR.15 the best fit (albeit at a stretch) for Purple People Eater was a picture of Cardiff Castle!

Comment

Working...
                              X