October 2021 finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• October 2021 finds

There was nothing for me at the Woodvale Tavern record fair last week.

Today it was the Rock and Roll Record Collector's Club record fair in Victoria Park Leisure Centre.

My wife enjoyed the France Gall track on Sir Slim's last swap CD. So, I got her this. Perhaps she will be more enthusiastic when she hears it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 031.JPG Views:	0 Size:	173.2 KB ID:	1057549

King Curtis for $1 and Herbie Mann for $5 from a woman who said it would go towards college fees for her son. Not very far towards it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 032.JPG Views:	0 Size:	186.8 KB ID:	1057550

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 033.JPG Views:	0 Size:	181.6 KB ID:	1057551

Some time back I told Head Gardener that I would look out for local flexidiscs. Finally!

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 034.JPG Views:	0 Size:	192.0 KB ID:	1057552

One of the metal stalls had a $2 box. I asked the stall holder if he had listened to this; no. I told the him that Brother William went on to a career in black metal and that he should have listened to it backwards.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 035.JPG Views:	0 Size:	180.1 KB ID:	1057553

Knee-jerk purchase for "This is soul" - which I now suspect I already have on CD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 036.JPG Views:	0 Size:	185.4 KB ID:	1057554

The only real punt of the morning. $15 for this Japanese thing on the basis of "Lat.P" on the back of the sleeve. The tracklist was also a factor, to be fair to myself.

Discogs shows 3 copies in Australia!?

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 037.JPG Views:	0 Size:	232.1 KB ID:	1057555

Record is somewhat more munted than it appeared. It doesn't have the jazz content I was hoping for. Or any jazz content really. $2 wasted.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 038.JPG Views:	0 Size:	183.9 KB ID:	1057556

Misc John Barry singles for $1 apiece. Must get the 45 facility fixed on my turntable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 040.JPG Views:	0 Size:	207.6 KB ID:	1057557

Never seen this Errol Buddle 7 before - am hopeful that "Berimbau" will deliver.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10 Oct 2021 039.JPG Views:	0 Size:	171.9 KB ID:	1057558

1970 BBC Records catalogue found inside this LP sleeve this morning - which also had its own insert

only ONE single available!
    The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I took a trip north of Montrose today with mixed blessings, a few charity shop finds and a recycle depot that was a chaotic mess,
      however some things rose to the surface but I got pretty mucky in the process.

Nice 70's jazz guitar compilation which was in an Arabic (?) poly-lined outer sleeve, any info on what it actually says appreciated!

White label test pressing for a release that was only ever available as a free promotional cassette tape in 1987,
      a copy of the tape cover was inside the plain sleeve. The Inter-City train story narrated by Sir Michael Hordern.

The outer cover was tatty but the disc is playable enough and what a beautiful thing it is too!

Private pressing of a 12" with an experimental electronic vibe, couldn't find much out about the artist Dominic White even on Discogs.

Four track 12" by The Horrors includes a steady cover of Suffragette City.

Old Trad Jazz LP in a daft cover from 1961.

The cover had some light damage but the record is OK, thankfully Evel doesn't sing on it.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
        I took a trip north of Montrose today with mixed blessings, a few charity shop finds and a recycle depot that was a chaotic mess,
        however some things rose to the surface but I got pretty mucky in the process.

H.G. Don't you ever take a look and think '................................no. Maybe not' ?

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

H.G. Don't you ever take a look and think '................................no. Maybe not' ?
          I did a bit but hey, I did find some nice things as you can see above, but boy if ever I needed hand cleanser afterwards
          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I did a bit but hey, I did find some nice things as you can see above, but boy if ever I needed hand cleanser afterwards
            Spoken like a true crate digger...

Comment

Been there a few times HG, it's good fun to while away the time but you have to keep your wits about you to avoid shards of 78! Must've been a bit cold in the barn at this time of year, I tend to go up in the summer and even then........

Comment

DJ Food has just messaged me to request a guided tour, I will be inclined to take him to other places though, I have secret digging haunts already and I've only been here a year!
                The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Some good finds again in October for me. I’m happy to discover the track Haiti Blues by Margie Anderson on a WRC lp “Feeling the Blues”. It’s pleasingly bonkers.

Highlight number one is obviously the Michael Hurley which is wonderful. Billy Charne is a keeper too. I've turned into a real sucker for American folk lately so it's nice to find it in the UK. I haven't heard Mack Allen Smith yet but I suspect it'll be some good ol' rock n roll. British(maybe Irish) folk in the Jackie & Bridie, The Lonesome Travellers and Kev Kade. All have their moments. Very happy to find the Sonics LP. I'd thought it was Vulture Canon so I was surprised it wasn't on the ForumMusic 100. Duncan Lamont Sambas edging too far towards lift music. prefer his Bossa Novas LP. Not sure what Mecano is - Dutch post punk apparently but haven't listened yet. Ben Webster & Coleman Hawkins is on right now and it's lovely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6653.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	1057646 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6654.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	1057648 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6655.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	1057651 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6656.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	1057653
                  Attached Files

Comment

“Haiti” is a fun track.

Comment

"I'm going to heaven" on that Billy Charne Lp is the ultimate in "down and out, suffered through it all, it's so bad, there's no way out, please release me from y misery dear god" song that I know...
                      In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

An opportunity to play what I think is the most miserable country record in a very crowded field.

The crying baby tips it over the top.

Comment

Albums that have been working their way from fairs and boots and charity shops to my turntable these past few weeks.

Pretty nice space/prog rock from the mid 70's inspired by the book of the same name.

Happy to pay a fiver for this, I think I've only ever seen it on CD before.

Covering all bases this is lovely original English pressing of an Irish folk album in an American sleeve.

Christian folk inspired by Des O'Hare's book 'In The Begginin Wuz The Werd' and other Liverpool tales, calm down, calm down.

Sadly this is not the legendary Captain Marryat album also on the Thor label which was released around the same time as this one by a less exciting Scottish folk duo.

Still not sure quite what I'll do with this Cuban poetry compilation.

The shirts! the flares! the lettering! the cover versions!

I have a few car maintenance singles but this is the first album I've come across, it came in a plain sleeve.

I bought this weird Dutch double album in a fantastic fold-out sleeve from DJ Food at the Groovy Fayre a few weeks ago and only just got round
                          to listening to it, I wish the music was as bizarre as the artwork as it's pretty dull to be honest, that's probably why he sold it for a couple of quid...

Last edited by Head Gardener; 03-11-2021, 09:51 PM.
                          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

I bought this weird Dutch double album in a fantastic fold-out sleeve from DJ Food at the Groovy Fayre a few weeks ago and only just got round
                            to listening to it, I wish the music was as bizarre as the artwork as it's pretty dull to be honest, that's probably why he sold it for a couple of quid...

The best thing about this is indeed the sleeve. He made a couple more albums in the '70s with similarly freaky covers.
                            Armand died in 2015. He was a local, from Eindhoven, and was unmistakeable on the horizon with his long vibrant red-dyed locks and raggle taggle wardrobe. He was an anachronism for years before he enjoyed a sort of mini revival in the years before his death, making guest appearances and the like, but his albums remain unavailable on CD AFAIK. Musically they're not that interesting. Dylan-inspired protest singer / pro-cannibis / flower power stuff, though he could be quite crude. But that cover...! Well worth a couple of quid.
                            Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post

The best thing about this is indeed the sleeve. He made a couple more albums in the '70s with similarly freaky covers.
                              Armand died in 2015. He was a local, from Eindhoven, and was unmistakeable on the horizon with his long vibrant red-dyed locks and raggle taggle wardrobe. He was an anachronism for years before he enjoyed a sort of mini revival in the years before his death, making guest appearances and the like, but his albums remain unavailable on CD AFAIK. Musically they're not that interesting. Dylan-inspired protest singer / pro-cannibis / flower power stuff, though he could be quite crude. But that cover...! Well worth a couple of quid.
                              thank you for the info Milesago, its probably just as well you can't see some of the illustrations up close in my pics as some are VERY iffy by todays pc standards
                              The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X