Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 2021 finds

Hi all
    Seems time for a new monthly finds thread, seeing as we're already a week into November.
    No car boots now round my way, and while there are plenty of charity shops with lots to dig through, I found myself taking advantage of one of my local record shops regular clearances, offering 6 for a quid on LPs and singles.
    So here's my mixed bag of punts, oddities and surefire bargains ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7965.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	1057692

Haven't listened to everything yet, but at about 16p each I'm happy to take my time:
    Sinceros - Pet Rock - melodic pop rock with a new wave tinge, early 80s. Excellent nick.
    Garland Jeffreys - Ghost Writer – listenable US rock, even if there's rather too much white reggae for my taste
    McKendree Spring - To young to feel this old: later 1976 album from the US folk rockers. Liked their early stuff.
    Urban Verbs – Washington based new wavers founded by brother of Blondie's Chris Frantz. Sounds promising.
    The Latin Splendour of Werner Muller - standard VG+ fare I'm guessing. Picked up for Light my fire really.
    S is for Saxophones - Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster: saxy jazz
    Zoot Sims : see above
    Judith Durham - Here am I : looking forward to hearing the jazzier roots of the Seekers' singer

Name:	IMG_7966.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1057693

From top:
    Carpenters - Ticket to ride : decided it was time I explored some fo the individual albums rather than just the Greatest Hits classic collection everyone has
    Chuck Berry - More Chuck Berry - nice early Pye selection from the duckwalking quiffster. Plays better than it looks, thankfully.
    David McWilliams - always have time for the psych folk musings of this fella
    Dory Previn : only really discovered her stuff recently (I know, VERY behind the curve, me) so wasn't going to leave this behind
    Country Joe McDonald - Goodbye blues : has to be worth a punt, surely?
    Kate & Anna McGarrigle : later album from the classy folky sisters
    The world of Ewan McColl & Peggy Seeger (Argo) - high class trad folk
    The sound of Johnny Cash - nice 1962 vinyl. Shame something has nibbled the top of the sleeve.
    English guitar music (DG) - lovely condition. Like a bit of classical guitar.
    John Barry : lotsa Bond from the soundtrack maestro.
    Bread - Guitar man - harmonies, soft rock and the title track. Don't mind if I do and I feel no need to apologise.
    The Butterfly Ball and the Grasshopper Feast - Roger Glover and Deep Purple chums go all whimsical.

And here are the rest:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7974.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	1057695

I had high hopes for this 1969 album, which Discogs describes as "a Spanish beat group from Majorca". There is one half decent track which delivers some a minor key lament about being a single guy, backed by some reedy organ and some passable guitar work, but sadly most of it brings back painful memories of Sixties/Seventies package holidays in the Balearics where the in-house band's repertoire largely consisted of variations on Una Paloma Blanca. If somebody tries to flog you it claiming it's mod or psych because the front bloke has his top button done up and has slightly cool glasses, take no notice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7973.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	1057696

Pleased to pick this up, even with no sleeve and a hefty scratch across Side 1. As it turns out, Side 1 plays OK once you tune out the background crackle, and Side 2 is actually approaching VG. Good to hear Jeff letting rip before he went all jazz-rock, and Rod having a good bellow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	David Soul original.png Views:	1 Size:	990.2 KB ID:	1057697Click image for larger version  Name:	David Soul painted.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	1057698

This was just too weird to leave behind. The copy I bought is the one on the right - the one on the left is what a standard copy actor/singer David Soul's debut album actually looks like. My friendly record shop owner told me it's apparently one of a series of sleeve artworks done by a maverick DJ who rather enjoys putting his artistic stamp on things. Not sure I'd hang it on my wall but it's certainly, er, a striking take on the Starsky and Hutch fella. Not sure I'll listen to the vinyl, unless anyone can make a case for it being an undiscovered gem.

Finally, a bunch of singles:

Click image for larger version  Name:	singles.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	1057699

Tommy Thomas and the Club Sound - The Professionals (1971) : allegedly a comedy record from a Northern Ireland show band. Doesn't age well.
    Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren - Bangers and Mash : Sixties comedy record that happily combines mild racism, sexism and Sellers doing silly voices. Also doesn't age well. B Side Zoo be Zoo Be Zoo is quite cute though.
    John Barry Seven - Walk don't run : surf meets Shadows, and all the better for it
    Love Sculpture - Sabre Dance - always pick up cheap copies of this glorious racket from Dave Edmunds and Co. And the B side Think of Love is a cracker of a psych guitar wigout and isn't on any of their albums. Every singles box should have one.
    Deep Purple - Never before : one of my favourite tracks from the Purps' Machine Head
    Dave Allen - The Good Earth : Hmm, a forgotten psych classic? Can't be the acerbic Irish comedian playing it straight, can it? Yes, it can, and he doesn't even sing. Bit like that 'Sunscreen' record giving potted philosophical advice, but recorded 40 years earlier. Won't be playing it twice.

Comment

I would have picked up the David Soul LP too. The John Barry LP is a winner full of quality stuff. Don't really know any of the others. At least it will keep your ears busy for a while.
      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mactheruss View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	David Soul original.png Views:	1 Size:	990.2 KB ID:	1057697Click image for larger version Name:	David Soul painted.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	1057698

This was just too weird to leave behind. The copy I bought is the one on the right - the one on the left is what a standard copy actor/singer David Soul's debut album actually looks like. My friendly record shop owner told me it's apparently one of a series of sleeve artworks done by a maverick DJ who rather enjoys putting his artistic stamp on things. Not sure I'd hang it on my wall but it's certainly, er, a striking take on the Starsky and Hutch fella. Not sure I'll listen to the vinyl, unless anyone can make a case for it being an undiscovered gem.

Was it Susan's Leg Policy who did that?

'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Comment

Had to do a quick Google to see who you're referring to - and I'd say that's very possible ....

Comment

His instagram account is worth following, if you indulge in such things. https://www.instagram.com/susanslegpolicy/?hl=en

He did the artwork for this Beak> ep https://www.discogs.com/release/1385...ife-Goes-On-EP
            'I have avoided competitive situations because I am not a baboon'

Comment

Originally posted by Mactheruss View Post

Name:	IMG_7965.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	1057692

Urban Verbs – Washington based new wavers founded by brother of Blondie's Chris Frantz. Sounds promising.
              Chris Frantz of Talking Heads. Urban Verb's album is remarkable in as much as it sounds almost like a parody of Talking Heads, thanks to Roddy Frantz's ridiculously mannered vocal. The band is actually pretty good but Frantz is awful, he ruins it for my money. These are fantastic finds for 16p. I'd have been delighted to find that McKendree Spring, which I haven't heard. The Judith Durham is a UK comp of two Australian/NZ albums which were her first post-Seekers recordings (apart from a Christmas LP) and they prove that her voice doesn't really suit this kind of orchestral, adult contemporary approach. She was very good at what she did but her voice isn't accomplished enough to pull this off.
              Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Oops! You're right, of course, Talking Heads, not Blondie. And having listened to the album now I'd agree - the band are tight but the monotone vocal sounds ridiculous most of the time, so the album really doesn't live up to its promise. And yeah, the Judith Durham is a little disappointing - she never really puts genuine emotion into her vocal on this album. It's all a bit singing by numbers, and stylistically they just don't suit her tone.
                One of my haul I've particularly enjoyed is The Carpenters' Ticket to Ride. Apart from their classy take on the Beatles for the title track, the others that stood out for me have been Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing and this short but stunning little number ...

Comment

Cracking track. It took me a while to find a copy at a price I was prepared to pay.

Comment

I won a box of albums in an auction last week for £26 but I took the majority straight to a charity shop as there was a lot of pop and country, but for some bizarre reason there was a whole batch of 'teach yourself drums' albums. All US pressings and mostly for Jazzers but they stand up as great albums to listen to in their own right, I was only slightly disappointed there wasn't more commentary on some as I might have been able to sample some of that, tis but a minor quibble as most have great sleeves and booklets and I had never seen any of them before.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Crikey, what a strange concept. The Mal Waldron Trio and you're the drummer.
                      "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

MMO - Music Minus One - released loads of records like this, music with one instrument missing so you could practice by playing along, including many classical works missing just the piano, say, or the trombone. They can be really odd. Obviously they're intended as instructional, but they can make for an odd listen. I came across a pile of them, mainly classical, a few years ago but I didn't hang on to them. MMO also owned the US jazz label Inner City Records.
                        Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

As a non-drummer, I'd love to sit in with Mal Waldron and create mayhem.
                          "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                            As a non-drummer, I'd love to sit in with Mal Waldron and create mayhem.
                            Mayhem you say?

Comment

Got these the other weekend. Off work with sniffles I have nothing better to do than listen to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X