January Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January Finds

A mixed bag of 7"s albums and flexis have found their way into my racks over the last few weeks. I found most of these in one of those vintage shops that have different stalls selling old stuff, the return of the new year auctions will hopefully be turning up more of those pesky round things.

A stereo test record I'd not seen before from the 60's released on Mecca Records from Lancashire.

Very nice double compilation that collects the bands singles on the 1st disc and the whole of their classic Odessey and Oracle on the 2nd.

Unusual early 70's private pressing featuring an awful lot of kids singing pensioners ragtime and vaudeville songs.

London based travel agents promotional flexi from 1964

Ex-Butlins Redcoats fronted covers band, green and nicely signed which is probably worth more to their mothers than record collectors.

Набор двойных дисков, выпущенный Управлением по туризму СССР в 1971 году.

Promo for an Australian trucking company sung by Bruce Woodley founder of 60's pop-folk band The Seekers, the instrumental version on the flip is quite catchy.

It's hard to go into any charity shops here in Scotland without finding irresistible singles.

I probably prefer the Canned Heat version but this has a kinda rustic tambourine banging charm

The Garden Facebook Blog

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post

A stereo test record I'd not seen before from the 60's released on Mecca Records from Lancashire.
    Nice sleeve! presume it's the standard hi-fi setup stuff and nothing space-y sound-wise? Mecca Records put out releases from Omega Disc in the US (see the US catnum and logo still on the front cover), including a couple of exotica LPs

Comment

I jumped at the chance of a Kenny Clarke Francy Boland 2xLP at less than a fiver, but it's oddly unsatisfactory. I think it must be the singers on these tracks getting in the bloody way of the instruments.

Tizzy Turbo
      "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
        I jumped at the chance of a Kenny Clarke Francy Boland 2xLP at less than a fiver, but it's oddly unsatisfactory. I think it must be the singers on these tracks getting in the bloody way of the instruments.

Tizzy Turbo
        No love for "calyspo blues" Turbo? Was and still is a killer.

Back in the jazz dance days the "companionship" LP was much sought after, so much so that there was a boot made of 4 tracks from the double album - which I picked up from Soul Jazz - though for some obscure reason the booter(s) slowed down some of the tracks!

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post

No love for "calyspo blues" Turbo? Was and still is a killer.

Back in the jazz dance days the "companionship" LP was much sought after, so much so that there was a boot made of 4 tracks from the double album - which I picked up from Soul Jazz - though for some obscure reason the booter(s) slowed down some of the tracks!
          Calypso Blues not really hitting the spot for me. I love the Latin Kaleidoscope album the most. I don't think I need singers on my Francy Boland listening. I'll give it some more listens.

I don't know Companionship. I'll give that a go too.
          Last edited by Turboellis; 17-01-2022, 07:21 AM. Reason: Claretificication.

Comment

The "Lonely Planet" style commentary on "Calypso Blues" is fun. For the first couple of listens, anyway.

"Companionship" was on Youtube this morning at w*rk. Three or four good tracks. Is there a solid comp knocking around?

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post
              The "Lonely Planet" style commentary on "Calypso Blues" is fun. For the first couple of listens, anyway.

"Companionship" was on Youtube this morning at w*rk. Three or four good tracks. Is there a solid comp knocking around?
              Maybe.

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post

Nice sleeve! presume it's the standard hi-fi setup stuff and nothing space-y sound-wise?
                side one is a pretty eclectic selection of SFX, tones etc but side 2 has some nice tunes especially the one by what sounds like Chaino and his African Percussion called Cum-Ba-See

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post

Calypso Blues not really hitting the spot for me.
                  One last go to win you over, here is Nat King Cole & Jack Costanzo version:

Comment

Well I like Nat King Cole's voice anyway, so it's a no contest. Plus extra points for the a Capella

I think I've learned to avoid vocals on my Francy Boland recordings ...

Comment

This turned up at Disk Union. I'm a sucker for badly produced Asian bootlegs (spot the spelling mistake) and it was in the bargain bin so I now am in possession.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	600.5 KB
ID:	1057957 Click image for larger version

Name:	CENTER_0001_BURST20220121054323890_COVER.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1057956

Anyone seen this label before?

I wonder if it'll play ... I wonder if it'll have any Ventures music on it ...

Only one way to find out ...

Comment

I was dithering over a $3 copy of this the other day (all 3 volumes = $9).

Comment

Name:	22 an 2022 024.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	1057964

$10 at my usual haunt. The title track is the title track for a reason. A couple of the other self-penned tracks might call for a second listen. Doubt that I'll keep it.

Name:	22 an 2022 022.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	1057965

Not listened to this yet. Almost didn't part with $0.50 on the basis of my previous exposure to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post

Not listened to this yet. Almost didn't part with $0.50 on the basis of my previous exposure to him.
                            Might be Ciari's legendary abstract noise album. You can always have hope.

Interesting cover. I'd gamble $0.50 on it.

Comment

WRC art dept to the rescue again.

Comment

Working...
                              X