February Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February Finds

These are probably the best of the albums and singles I decided to keep out of the auction and charity shop finds in late Jan early Feb.

The great Eric Sykes & Hattie Jacques made their only album of songs and sketches in 1962.

I took a punt on this as I liked it's handmade sleeve, turned out to be a very limited private pressing (500 copies) of a band doing their own pretty good take on The Who's rock opera.

I have several AiW records but had not come across this American one before, I dig the sleeve.

Another one I picked up for it's sleeve was this 1972 promo album teaching new employees of the optician chain Dolland & Aitchison how to sell specs.

I won this in the same auction lot that had what turned out to have the 1907 football 78rpm lurking at the back of the box, £6 well spent.

A mid 60's folk singer I had not heard of before, her version of Brown Girl In The Ring has different lyrics to the Boney M version we know.

Really nice chilled out Jazz on Soul Note that was only released on vinyl in Italy.

This was a £2 charity shop find with a whole bunch of their singles at 50p a pop and it's near mint!

Canadian stereo sampler from 1961 that has many helpings of cheese.

1960 protest folk EP which it must be one of the earliest records to feature the ban the bomb symbol on it's cover.

New Zealand EP from 1967
    The Garden Facebook Blog

Interesting finds HG, as always.

The nuclear disarmament symbol was designed in 1958 so you might be right about its appearance on the Songs from Aldermaston EP.
    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
      Interesting finds HG, as always.

The nuclear disarmament symbol was designed in 1958 so you might be right about its appearance on the Songs from Aldermaston EP.
      thanks Milesago, I kinda guessed on that really
      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Our house-guest has offered me some records. By far the most notable of which is this - "Worthless Trash" by the Vacants. Circa 1977. There is a punk-oriented blog that rates it as the real deal. Apparently not released in the UK or the USA.

If I am to judge by some of the track titles ("Dead Girl", "Half Man Woman") the themes of the lyrics will be of their time.

Guess which of the group went on to join the Pretenders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5 Feb 2022 003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.2 KB ID:	1057996
        Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 05-02-2022, 02:22 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

Originally posted by Head Gardener View Post
          These are probably the best of the albums and singles I decided to keep out of the auction and charity shop finds in late Jan early Feb.

The great Eric Sykes & Hattie Jacques made their only album of songs and sketches in 1962.

Everytime I see that Lp, it raises a smile.

Comment

Here is today's haul:

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 Feb 2022 001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.1 KB ID:	1058039

Ropey SA covers of early 70s pop. I suspect that "Perfect for dancing" is a brand name rather than a description of the music. Couldn't be bothered with listening to both discs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 Feb 2022 005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.8 KB ID:	1058040

This includes hebrew chants and negro spirituals. I was hoping for fear or ecstasy. But it is cozy cozy cozy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 Feb 2022 006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.6 KB ID:	1058041

Am always on the look out for Sir Slim's alleged greek femme vox bossa grail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 Feb 2022 003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.4 KB ID:	1058042

I have now heard a domra ensemble.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 Feb 2022 002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	1058043

This is on the Mainstream label for a reason.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 Feb 2022 007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.8 KB ID:	1058044

Yes, that is Miguel Salerno of "Astrokat" non-fame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 Feb 2022 004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	1058045

"Viking" led me to hope that this was a NZ jazz rarity. I suppose that it qualifies as 'cool', but I think I discern older styles. Interesting rather than compelling. Someone has posted the title track on Youtube.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13 Feb 2022 008.jpg Views:	1 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	1058046

Surprise find of the day! It was a makeweight pulled on the basis of a Libaek production.

It turns out that I can tolerate bluegrass in small quantities. Those discogs asks have got to be a joke though, eh?
            Last edited by Grim Lounge Cowboy; 13-02-2022, 10:53 AM. Reason: "House of the Lord" is the Roger Wagner Chorale

Comment

Looking through the Dink Union website I notices a very cheap Japanese 1st edition of Led Zeppelin 1 with misprint. The price was insanely cheap, so I decided to take a gamble.

Yesterday it arrived. Sleeve taped up, but record very playable, with a few pops.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LedFront.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	1058059 Click image for larger version

Name:	LedBack.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1058061

Gamble paid off.

For a change.
              Attached Files
              "White paper inner sleeve is pristine ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Turboellis View Post
                Looking through the Dink Union website I notices a very cheap Japanese 1st edition of Led Zeppelin 1 with misprint. The price was insanely cheap, so I decided to take a gamble.

Yesterday it arrived. Sleeve taped up, but record very playable, with a few pops.

Gamble paid off.

For a change.
                Taped up so you can't see inside the gatefold?

Are you tempted to remove the tape? I can never resist...

Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

Originally posted by Milesago View Post
                  Taped up so you can't see inside the gatefold?
                  No, not at all. The sleeve is completely openable and has notes and lyrics. The taping appears to have been done to prevent the sleeve from any further knocks.

If you'd like to see the inside I'm happy to take more photos, though I suspect they're already on Discogs.

I don't think I'll be touching the tape. I could end up with a pile of dust and regrets.

Comment

A mid 60's folk singer I had not heard of before
                    Nadia Cattouse has a good folk voice, unfortunately her discography doesn't really do it justice. On the "Earth Mother" LP she's backed by the Pentangle rhythm section, although the second side is from a live show.

"Songs Of Grief And Glory" is her (and a couple of guys) singing songs from a BBC song writing competition. Unfortunately the tracks alternate between her and the other two guys, and they have that poppy folk revival style that's really dated now. Keep meaning to just record her tracks from it

(Also pop trivia, she's the mother of Mike Lindup from Level 42)

Comment

wow, brilliant fact overload bongolia, cheers!
                      The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Second hand albums I have bought recently

US compilation of Bell artists, great old phone spinning wheel matching artist to their track

German double compilation of the 70's US harmony group.

Late 60's Scottish family folk - then 12 year old blonde haired Russell on the mandolin is still making music today under the name Other

This country rock group released this collection of covers in the mid 1970's, also featured a pre-Liverpool FC player in their ranks*

*maybe

Phil Collins may not have required a jacket for his record, but this bluesman didn't even need his surname on his.

Great 3rd album from the hard rocking blues band.

The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

German double compilation of the 70's US harmony group.
                          That's probably all you need. I have 3 LPs and while the harmonies are expertly executed, they never give me the chills that Quarteto Em Cy do.

They never sound as if they're having that much FUN.

Comment

Write something (optional) ...

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Lounge Cowboy View Post

Click image for larger version Name:	13 Feb 2022 006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.6 KB ID:	1058041

Am always on the look out for Sir Slim's alleged greek femme vox bossa grail.

Comment

Working...
                              X