Weekend finds 1st March on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds 1st March on

I shouldn't grumble but just as I'm about to move from sunny Erdington to the rainy Northwest, I'm enrolled into the upper echelons of chazza society. I rang my local on Tuesday to see if a new batch had come in as promised by a previous customer & the lady said she would phone me when they did
    As promised I received the call today & bought these for 30p each:-

All Around My Hat has a card insert with holes in which allows the faces on the cover to be seen unstretched sideways

Bob Johnson & Pete Knight is a Lord of the Rings stylee folk concept/soundtrack kinda thing.

I chose the Wild Angels - Live at the Revolution (Rock 'n' Roll revivalists from 1970) mainly for the cover with the greasy bikers looking ready to kick some Mod ass

The last two LPs I bought for £1 each from my local house clearance "shop"

The Sabbath is a reissue but strangely in a swirl innersleeve. I was looking forward to the African LP, which is a mixed bag of styles, Piglit says is some sort of musical.
    Last edited by mike sondek; 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM. Reason: Listening

Girls Vs Boys - House of GvsBs
    Tim Buckley - Dream Letter
    Pavement - Watery Domestic
    Dead Can Dance - Serpent's Egg
    The Fall - I am Curious, Oranj
    Galaxie 500 - This is Our Music
    Ultra Vivid Scene - Special One
    Pere Ubu - Cloudland
    Eno - Ambient 4

Peechee expressed surprise in a recent finds thread about stuff from the post CD era ending up in Charities and about how a collection of finds was his 'soundtrack of the 90s'...... well this bunch felt weird; I've never actually owned any of these records before, but but I own or have owned records by all of these artists before - it's all pretty much what i would have been listening to when all this stuff came out, apart from Dead can Dance.

Furthermore, the rest of the collection included loads of records i knew well - was close to happening on a slightly off- fictionalised version of my own past...... (all in a local Oxfam - and not book priced either)
    Last edited by d7bohs; 01-03-2008, 07:39 PM.
    Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

I've had that on occasion as well- got a load of royal trux albums and some stuff on too pure from a real 'old lady' chazza a while back.

It's definitely noteworthy, I guess cos its stuff some of us would have bought, and we can't imagine ourselves donating our records of the period...makes you wonder what's changed in that persons life so much. Like looking at your own record hoarding mortality or something!
      "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Life has been good to me the last weeks

Expansion was a trade. Some beaty and mostly crazy electronics jazz. I think the correct musical term is wicked weirdo jazz
        Giant steps with Guru - Loungin but also US3, Gang Starr, UMC's. Great!
        Jan Johansson 2LP with some not so good and some great tracks, Cubano chant being my favourite so far. With Riedel and the usuals.
        Female Prisoner side 2 is 21 minutes of "For magnetic tape, based on the voice of Cathy Berberian and electronic sounds".
        Klaus Schönning is a norweigan private press, solo album with piano, synthesizers, organ, drummachine and weird sounds. As I'm an old House of Pain-fan I had to pick up the HOM for the b-side with Everlast & Xzibit; Shroomz pt II
        Aim with AG of course I could not leave behind, and neither the Ice Cube or US3 - Cantaloop. The Mayall from -73 is the only one by him that I've liked enough to keep so far. With Blue Mitchell on trumpet. Next to King Curtis is Positive K - I got a man.

New Kingdom is a spare, Batman is a reissue 12" that sounds like it was recorded straight from TV. Some more classic 12s I was happy to find, Morcheeba, Disposable heroes, ED OG...
        Also a manfred mann - chapter 3 swirly label for a euro. I had not heard this before and it's the find of the month for me. Incredible LP. Paul Desmond was a really nice creed taylor-produced bossa LP, one of my favourites. I was also a bit surprised to find the Devil McDoom 12". I had only heard the snippets but listening to the whole tracks now it is a lot better than I remembered. Great arrangements and drumprogramming. Also found me a copy in better condition of the George's Dilemma 7". Some more non-ps 12" were Erykah Badu, Gravediggaz, AZ.
        I also found a sleeveless copy of samla mammas manna - snorungarnas symfoni if anyone wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike sondek View Post
          I shouldn't grumble but just as I'm about to move from sunny Erdington to the rainy Northwest, I'm enrolled into the upper echelons of chazza society. .
          Consider it a going away present - I believe some of the "old ladies" are having a whip round for a card as well.

Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
          [Peechee expressed surprise in a recent finds thread about stuff from the post CD era ending up in Charities and about how a collection of finds was his 'soundtrack of the 90s'...... well this bunch felt weird; I've never actually owned any of these records before, but but I own or have owned records by all of these artists before - it's all pretty much what i would have been listening to when all this stuff came out, apart from Dead can Dance.

Furthermore, the rest of the collection included loads of records i knew well - was close to happening on a slightly off- fictionalised version of my own past...... (all in a local Oxfam - and not book priced either)
          Originally posted by Joe M'geek View Post
          I've had that on occasion as well- got a load of royal trux albums and some stuff on too pure from a real 'old lady' chazza a while back.

It's definitely noteworthy, I guess cos its stuff some of us would have bought, and we can't imagine ourselves donating our records of the period...makes you wonder what's changed in that persons life so much. Like looking at your own record hoarding mortality or something!
          I love getting quality, later (post CD era) records out of charity shops, and do often wonder why or how they got there. I often think that perhaps some terrible disaster has beset the owner. And that haul is quality.

And something that will link all these quotes together; I once found 9 Deadly Venoms by Depthcharge in the same shop that Mike turned up the Gryphon stuff. Suprised, delighted - I should say so.

Should mention that I picked up a mixed bag of 40 45s this morning from a cold and windswept bootsale. Nothing too exciting, off the top of my head; Sam and Dave, 1910 Fruitgum, Status Quo on Pye, Percy Sledge, Rick James spin off, Jimmy Cliff, Shangri Las on Kama Sutra, Dave and Ansill Collins, The Blackbyrds, load of Motown, Minnie Ripperton, Al Green, Hollies, few 60s and 70s pop bits.
          Last edited by piglit'n'rolf; 01-03-2008, 06:32 PM.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

recent buys [ highlights !! ]

Lots of these were 2 or 3 dollars in new york last week,i was on a limited budget i suppose [ not a cheap place to get to,or to stay in ] but i'm happy with what i brought back,i'll be back in november hopefully and a bit more sassy this time,i avoided big price psych records !! and instead came back with an odd assortment of jazz and pop stuff....brilliant city,people were really friendly and helpful and the records shops i checked out were all great-special mentions to academy [ both their branches that do vinyl ] and to jon at rockit scientist for being so damn nice and calling me ' flytipper ' on a sunday afternoon in the village...here goes -

some 7"s -

2 by fusioon [ farsa del buen vivir is a spare and recommended ! ] - the gentle folky psych of bill quick and the far out oddness of louise forestier,french candian i think.

johnny colon-mombo suzie,first edition-heed the call-spare and again recommended-folk funk with loud drums ! - devil's anvil-karkodan,pacheco-lazy flute...cool groover on fania,paul desmond-lady in cement and madrigal-time of the season..........well heavy zombies cover.

big un's..

soul searchers-killer gospel soul on musicor from a flea market in chelsea..time is winding up is incredible-will try for some soundclips tomorrow.
            fugs- on esp / sweetwater-debut album...psych jazz soul / chico hamilton - the master - got this cause it had atune on called ' i can hear the grass grow ' - thought it was going to be a soul jazz cover of the move track-alas it's not but it is a top record and little feat are playing on it too.

valerie simpson-exposed-nice soul set on motown - buffalo springfield again to replace my old reissue ! - velvet underground-acetate sessions..great to hear this at last-very different indeed to the debut album - ken munson-super flute-flute and many many breaks if thats your bag !

billy strange-de sade.wanted this for ages after i found the empty sleeve in a chazza - great record / pau riba -catalan folk psych - reminds me of gruff rhys a bit ! - a childs garden of grass - ace dialogue and top sleeve - follow me ost -another flea market find-dino,desi and billy turn in some gorgeous sunshine pop..another want off the list.

ramsey lewis-up pops..nice sitar on jade east / john mclaughlin-extrapoliation-argen's bag is a great bit of laid back modal jazz,another want bites the dust,herbie hancock-mwandishi and morton subotnick-sidewinder-two very challenging but cool records !!

phil ochs-pleasures of the harbour-amazing record / gentle giant-three friends-some nice moments on here,lalo schifrin-whole lotta-worth it for secret code,synth and sitar workout...wes montgomery-classy and mellow !

some groovy jazz cheapness...

herbie mann-beat goes on and open windows,john klemmer-intensity and cal tjader-several shades of jade...includes the fakir of my xmas mix c.d.

mortimer-another chelsea flea market punt-lovely hollies like psych pop / another bloody herbie mann album !! - bud shank - magical mystery-the jazz version of flying is pretty cool - you are what you eat ost..far out and pretty incredible record.

billy paul-going east-to replace my reissue [again ] davie allan-psyched up biker fuzz,blues project and sally eaton..it's for you towny

donovan,arnie lawrence and the children of all ages on embryo-free jazz with kiddies playing instruments while the old jazzers try and hold it together -loving this..george benson-blue benson / cashman,pistilli and west-bound to happen....soft folk pop a la simon and garfunkel..nice record.

beacon street union-eyes of / that great OBSESSION comp - only ten dollars for the double and i met the guy behind it too..from the horse's mouth so to speak !! - gato barbieri-third world on flying dutchman and the KPM is john renbourn..someone on here wants this i think.

thanks for checking out my post...there's more records but i'm bored now !
            this guy on the subway was laying down some awesome breakbeats while i waited for the downtown train :

academy in williamsburg in the snow:

the things we go through for a bit of cheap vinyl:

One of the many flea markets in chelsea last weekend:
            Last edited by Sie-Fly; 01-03-2008, 07:46 PM.
            Rockwell
            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Wow ! Looks fantastic mate and that is what i call a finds post !

Looking forward to the Sally eaton some tasty vinyl morsels there ! The cover of that Forestier 45 is awesome
              SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

[QUOTE=flytipper;216931]some 7"s -

2 by fusioon [ farsa del buen vivir is a spare and recommended ! ] - the gentle folky psych of bill quick and the far out oddness of louise forestier,french candian i think.

QUOTE]

Both Bill Quick and Louise Forestier are big faves around these parts. Found those in NYC? Nice!
                rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by TOWNY View Post

Looking forward to the Sally eaton some tasty vinyl morsels there ! The cover of that Forestier 45 is awesome
                  Anyone that tells me New York is devoid of goodness is seriously off the rails..i brought back about 50 records...next time i'm going to UPS at least the same again home..if you're prepared to dig about and take some chances then you'll do well..i only had 5 days but i now know a few spots and in time i will return to them..my record budget for this trip was pretty tight but as i said i think i scored ok...just listening to that arnie lawrence now - it's disturbing,at the moment it sounds like dirty harry having a scrap with the boards of canada !!

see you soon neil
                  Rockwell
                  Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by wickerman View Post
                    Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                    some 7"s -

Both Bill Quick and Louise Forestier are big faves around these parts. Found those in NYC? Nice!
                    forestier was a cheap punt [ not from NYC ] and the quick not so cheap ebay punt !!
                    Last edited by Sie Vulture; 02-03-2008, 04:53 PM. Reason: made the quote work
                    Rockwell
                    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Brilliant stuff.....
                      What's great about record shopping in the States is not the rare stuff, so much as the sheer quantity of stuff you can find cheap that just never shows up in Europe; need to go again soon.....

And Pleasures of the Harbour is a fabulous record
                      Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

wow!! awesome NY post there. looks like a great trip...

and Beatdeluxe -- 1 EUR for "chapter 3" - -thats fucking awesome - looks in better nick than my copy which definately didnt cost 1 EUR!!!
                        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Originally posted by TOWNY View Post

Yeah it's real good to see some decent finds.....nice one Sie mate.

You'll dig that Sally Eaton Towny mate.
                          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

fusioon - farsa del buen vivr :

http://download.yousendit.com/EF95F1DC7E0AEEF9

cheers joe
                            Rockwell
                            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

flytipper
                              and they all look in great condition too
                              can't wait til your next trades-list

Originally posted by pencilface View Post
                              wow!! awesome NY post there. looks like a great trip...

and Beatdeluxe -- 1 EUR for "chapter 3" - -thats fucking awesome - looks in better nick than my copy which definately didnt cost 1 EUR!!!
                              Yeah, I was supposed to buy this for 10 euro some years ago, but never heard from the guy again, so since then I've wondered what it sounded like. So this was a pleasant surprise

Comment

Working...
                              X