Willy-Fogg's finds from the last two months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy-Fogg's finds from the last two months

The below are my finds over the last couple of months and they’re all from charity shops. I’m happy with this lot and it shows that there’s certainly plenty still out there. I’ve included all the crap to hopefully save some of you repeating my mistakes.

Yesterday in Battersea I found the above Jam collection and these four Hendrix all for a tenner.

The Humble Pie – Lost and Found LP – this was in the same deal as the Jam and Hendrix LPs and I’ve not yet had a chance to listen it yet.

Ugly Duckling – turn it up 12” – so so recent hip-hop.

Antonio Carlos Jobim – Wave – a bit too bossa and not nearly enough funkiness for my liking

Isaac Hayes comp – Good collection that saves me lugging half a dozen LPs

DJ Food – A recipe for disaster 2 x LP – From 1995 and it’s aged like so much of this stuff has. Still a pleasant listen though and I’ll be happy if more of this turns up in the charities.

Pentangle – Cruel sister (re) – Hard to leave at £2

Bob Marley – Rasta revolution – excellent comp of Lee Perry prods

Bob Marley – Natty Dread – Title track is a fave. Quite why I need another copy is another question.

Van Morrison – Veedon Fleece – I got this weeks back and it has had a lot of play. Beautiful record.

The Fisherfolk – Celebrate the whole of it – A decent Fisherfolk LP in, what I’ve found to be, an ocean of shite. Has anyone got any recommendations? I might start a thread actually….

Jesse Winchester – Learn to love it – the cover and limited clues made it impossible to leave but I probably should have. Generally awful but with a couple of bearable tracks.

Jefferson Lincoln – Damn you Leeroy! This is tripe but I recognised the cover and had to give it a go. Signed (as you’d expect).

Fairport Convention – Full House – Quality folk LP that I’m sure most are familiar with.

Bagad Bleimor – Musique Celtique – This has Alan Stivell’s name on it and after finding and enjoying a couple of his records in recent months, I snapped it up. I need to invest in a portable as this is bagpipes throughout. Bad bagpipes. AVOID.

Play listen and learn with Ronald McDonald – I’m sure my turntablist mate will enjoy messing about with this.

Feelin’ James – Happy to find in a charity shop. It leaves you desperate to listen to a JB track all the way through though.

Alan Stivell – Renaissance de la harpe celtique – I found one of these three months ago and love it. This is a French pressing and it includes good bagpipes. DON’T AVOID.

Candy Man – Sweet hits of the 70s – exploito comp with two decent covers. Can’t remember which as it’s been a little while since I listened through. Worth picking up though.

Wild Stereo Drums – don’t bother

Ron Fraser – I’m gonna sing my song – Please don’t Ron. Not unless you know something that ain’t country. AVOID.

Love Unlimited – Under the influence of… - I was quite happy to find this as I’m sure I’ve got a decent LP by them and/or Big Barry. I found this too cheesy and the orchestra just a bit over the top. Back to the charity it goes…

Art Farmer – Farmer’s Market – Pleasant but forgettable.

Georgie Fame – The third face of Fame – My first GF LP proper! The charities are alive with the budget comps so happy to find this decent LP.

The Peddlers – Birthday – Very impressed with this. I’m going to play it again this afternoon.

The Supremes – Touch –An unmemorable LP for Supremes completists only (do such people exist?).

Tom Jones – Delilah – All covers but they include ‘Get Ready’ and ‘I was made to love her’ so I couldn’t leave it.

Millie Jackson – Feelin’ Bitchy – From 1977 and very good too. Will play some of this at my house party tonight.

The Hollies – Greatest – Good comp which probably misses heir best stuff. I’m not all that knowledgeable on these guys.

Oasis – Definitely Maybe – No maybe about it; I’ll be cashing this one in.

Jimmy Smith – Livin’ it up – Another Jimmy Smith to add to the part of the collection that I never listen to. I should stop buying these.

Steely Dan – Katy Lied – Last one to complete the Steely Dan collection. I DJ’d a 50th Birthday this summer and I can’t explain how well Steely Dan went down.

Nilsson – Harry – What a great record. Strangely priced at £1.79 by Oxfam Books and Music. It’s worth all that and then some for Rainmaker alone.

Four Tops – Nature Planned it – A bit past their peak but still a good quality record.

Rod Stewart – An old raincoat never let you down – While I never dislike these earlier Rod efforts I always let them go and never miss them.

Warhorse – ST – Good quality prog and a desirable record it would seem.

Mtume – Juicy Fruit 12” – This song has always cracked me up. That’s why it’s essential to own the LP, 45 and 12”.

Peter Sarstedt – Every word you say is written down – Surprisingly good considering every other record of his that I’ve bought has been tosh.

Anna and Ray Brett – At last – Wellingborough’s finest. It’s awful.

The Chris McGregor Group – Very Urgent – I can’t get in to this jazz LP. I really like the Brotherhood of Breath LP but this just doesn’t do anything for me. It looks like I’ll do OK out of it though

Percy Sledge – The best of – I can’t stand ‘When a man loves a woman’. I love 60s soul but that song is like nails on the blackboard for me. Thankfully there are a couple of other good tracks on here including one that I loved. Unfortunatly I can’t remember which one it was as it’s been a few weeks since I listened.

The Famous Blackwood Singers – Over today – I should have been wary what with the covers of ‘Amazing Grace’ and ‘Swing Down Sweet Chariot’. Really bad.

Barclay James Harvest – Baby James Harvest – Love the cover on this. The music’s not bad but not as good as the cover.

Donovan – A gift from a flower to a garden – The box is trashed but all the inserts are there and the records are in good nick. Excellent stuff from Mr Leitch.

Count Basie – The Atomic Basie – Does nothing for me. I suppose that it’s safe to say that I don’t go for much before 1962(ish).

VA - Marbles on the Moon – A couple of passable efforts including a nice Sounds Orchestral number. Worth picking up I’d say.

Tower of Power – Urban Renewal – It is strange what you can find lurking amongst the Mantovanis. This is solid listen and I particularly like the track ‘Oly so much oil in the ground’. One to play at a Greenpeace gig I reckon.

Rupert and the Firebird – First time that I‘ve found one in the wild. ‘Up in the sky’ is the track.

Vinicius E Caymmi – No Zum Zum – Small Surrey charity shop turns up this Brazilian LP. This is why I love charity shopping. I was actually after this one as I’m quite a fan of Quarteto em Cy. When they sing it’s great. Unfortunately Vinicius mumbles his way through most of the tracks. A major disappointment.

Jimmy and Carol Owens – If my people… - I’ll always take a chance on interesting looking Xtian stuff. It rarely pays of and it didn’t here. Pap.

Common Bond – Faces – As above

Maxime le Forestier – both of these folk LPs seem to be self titled. Both are a nice listen and worth picking up I’d say.

Jean Ferrat – ST and Chante Aragon – both recorded under the musical direction of Alain Goraguer (which is no guarantee of anything in my experience). As above, worth picking up. Bonus of stupendous ‘tache too.

Chris McGregor – Brotherhood of Breath – Essential for MRA if nothing else. Delighted to find this in a central London charity. Someone else was having a look at it when I arrived and I couldn’t believe it when he put it back in the rack!

James Brown Band – The Popcorn – Fantastic LP that absolutely tears it up.

Ken Medema – Fork in the road – Sally Army had taken delivery of loads of Xtian records including the two duds in the photo above this one. Some you win and some you lose and this one’s got a brilliant title track. Strange singing but a good tune nonetheless.

UFO – Haven’t listened to this yet because every time I put it on my girlfriend tells me to take it off!

Barbara Dickson – Answer me – Decent covers of ‘People get ready’ and ‘Lean on me’. The rest passes me by, I have to admit.

Happy Monsters – Well known round here and the first time I’ve found one in a charity. Fantastic.

Althia and Donna – Up Town Top Ranking – Classic tune

CCS – Brother – so so.

Jungle Bros – Doin’ our own Dang – Pleasantly surprised at how good this Daisy era single is.

Tom Jones – Looking out my window – I went years not finding this and 2008 must have brought me about five copies.

Tony Rebel –The Herb – Quality dancehall 45. A definite keeper.

---------------

Thanks for making it through all that and sorry if I’ve bored anyone.

WF
    Last edited by Willy-Fogg; 13-12-2008, 02:03 PM.

Warhorse,Chris mcgregor,good work.

Comment

Really enjoyed reading this post WF, cheers. Congrats on the heat,and thanks for the heads up on the turds to avoid.
      I picked up a Maxime Le Forestier LP on Polydor but its not been out of its jacket yet, might give it a whirl later.
      record licker

Comment

Originally posted by kenneth View Post
        Warhorse
        I found a copy of that once and sold it - really wish I'd kept it now - 'Vultures Blood' is excellent!
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Lot's of nice records there. Glad you are enjoying Veedon Fleece, that really is a lovely record; Linden Arden..., and You Don't Pull No punches.. always hit the spot. Checkout Common One, if you haven't already. Continues the journey to it's ultimate goal.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Bortherhood of Breath - in the wild!!!!

I should go out more!

Great finds - well done
            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

the Stivell one is great; found it a few months back.

maybe give the Jobim Wave another chance - it's good.

passed on the Ronald McDonald last week - no price on it. any good?
              YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth View Post
                the Stivell one is great; found it a few months back.

Agree on the Jobim. It is a beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Expury70 View Post
                  Bortherhood of Breath - in the wild!!!!

I should go out more!

Great finds - well done
                  What he said x10. Unbelievable
                  https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                  http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                  https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                  https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Have another listen to Mau Mau on the Art Farmer one.

And Move Me No Mountain is one of Love Unlimited's best tunes, I reckon.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Some very encouraging finds there. Like the look of Funky Ken Medema.
                      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                        Drums!
                        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
                          Checkout Common One, if you haven't already. Continues the journey to it's ultimate goal.
                          I'll be sure to. With Pee Wee Ellis according to Discogs! Should be interesting.

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth View Post
                          The Jobim is getting better with repeated listens.

The Ronald McDonald is not what I would call ‘good’. It might be fun to mess about with or use for mixtapes but I wouldn’t pay more than a quid for it.

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                          Have another listen to Mau Mau on the Art Farmer one.
                          And Move Me No Mountain is one of Love Unlimited's best tunes, I reckon.
                          Mau Mau listened to and I consequently revise my single listen opinion on this LP. That’s a lovely track. I would have been delighted if Move me no Mountain was on the Love Unlimited but it ain’t.

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                          I’ve since noticed that Sie Vulture/Old School Tramp (I can’t work out which) has got this track up on a chart if you want to have a listen. It’s quite an old chart and my work laptop doesn’t allow downloads so I can’t verify if it’s still live though.

Thanks all for the feedback.

WF

Comment

The Love Unlimited LP is pretty good in parts I thought.

The title track is a classic!

Not that common either.

Jungle Bros – Doin’ our own Dang - the Norman Cook mix is a lot of fun on here...really funky unlike a lot of his mixes from the time which have dated very badly.

I haven't found a single thing for months now.

Pretty much given up in Hull. It's all over for me!

The other week my friend found a northern single on Gamble for 50p and raked in over £400 on the bay. He does look for stuff relentlessly though.
                            I have a very particular set of skills...

http://www.paybacksoulfunkjazz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post
                              I would have been delighted if Move me no Mountain was on the Love Unlimited but it ain’t.
                              Oh yeah, sorry. It's another one with Love Unlimited on the cover (In Heat) I'm thinking of

I do like that one you got too though
                              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X