Weekend Finds 17th April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Finds 17th April

think I'll kick this one off then, if I may.....
    got a load of mixed but cheap stuff today which I'll try and come back to when I get a chance, but they included these two - both extremely minty:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zetterlund044.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	861424

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashby042.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	861425

£1 and £3

thought they were nice but a quick popsike tells me they're nicer than I thought....
    Boy George knew my father

Nice finds !
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

A most pleasing end to your week I'd say!
      Things ain't getting no brighter, load ain't getting no lighter.........

http://www.mixcloud.com/Ian_Barker/

Comment

Apologies for bad phone cam pic:

Steve Davis - Music - great album, some rock/soul/jazzy stuff, including a fun Gang Starr sample and the great "Lalune Blanche"

David Matthews - Dune - well know, cheap, but oh so good.

Os Mutantes - 180 g reish

Twennynine - Cheesy disco jazz with one great song: Morning Sunrise

I've forgotten to post here for a while, so previous weeks finds can be found HERE

Also, check out a fun mix I made HERE

Comment

weekend finds...18th april..

Just got back from a car boot in London -Not a regular thing - And found :

The Fireballs -Come on,React! Lp on London -how have I never seen/heard of this amazing record? From cover(complete with sticker covering, I presume an ex-band member..!) to tracks, some incredible 'breaks - my new favourite souls...

Sandy Nelson -Soul Drums -Liberty import Lp, as I've never seen this in the UK..

Booker T "Doin our own thing" 99p re-ish for a freind...

Aretha "Aretha Now" - Played Aetha in Paris on Thursday, and it got me in the mood for some more...!
          Perfection to me is a nice cup of tea - and a day when evrybody is happy with their records!

Comment

Originally posted by THUNDERTHUMBS View Post
            The Fireballs -Come on,React! Lp on London -how have I never seen/heard of this amazing record? From cover(complete with sticker covering, I presume an ex-band member..!) to tracks, some incredible 'breaks - my new favourite souls...
            Not to be sniffed at if found in the wild I guess, but it really didn't do anything for me when I had it...I was hoping for something a lot more exciting/memorable, from the cool title and band name.

What do you mean by the stickering on the cover? Doubt it came from a band member, cos they're American- but it sounds intriguing!
            "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

You may remember that I posted up a picture of a stack of spines, maybe a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have meaning to try and find some time to do a follow up.

I’m not quite sure if these records count as finds, or in fact the method that I came by them is even digging. They came from a record shop (no prizes for guessing which one, the immovable labels rather give that away) which is surely the digging equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel, no?

But what the hell? Praise be to the late Mr. Timoll and his wonderful magic marker, which at a single stroke rendered loads of very wonderful records suddenly affordable.

The collection was so large that they have been putting it out a bit of time so this selection has been accumulated over a couple of visits. And not only is the collection large but also very focussed. This man liked his tenors and he liked them big and brassy. It’s the common link throughout these records; loads and loads of sax, ranging across jazz and R&B, pre- and post-war remastered 78s through to mid seventies "blowers" such as Eddie Lockjaw Davis and Illonois Jacquet.

I'm guessing he was a DJ as much of this would play out very well; pretty much the roots of soul and dance-floor jazz in a nutshell. Some obvious, some less so. I mean, where has Rusty Bryant been all my life? Is it a case of while everyone has been obsessed with Bluenote no one has bothered to comp up the Prestige stuff from this era? Well, if they have it has passed me by. Needless to say the last couple of weeks has seen some excellent catching up, I can ensure you.

Far too many highlights to mention; but if I had to pick one then it would be Soul Liberation by Rusty Bryant. Simply brilliant.

Below are the cover shots. I have ripped a couple of dozen tracks so far and will make these available in one way or another before very long. Along with these I’ll put down some meaningful notes and reviews.

I've tried to group these into some sort of meaningful order...

A reissue of Lush Life, originally on Bluenote. Rough House Blues is on Cadet and features Lou along with the Oliver Nelson Orchestra. That album also forms part of the Back Talk double.

The collection featured lots of sax driven R&B; the Paul Bascomb and the Hal Singers being cases in point. Neither names I knew but the thoughtful Mr. Timoll has put marks against some of the best tracks. He used a system of zeros and exes and I assume the more a track gets the better it is. The back sleeve of the Singer looks like some psychotic of game noughts and crosses. The LP top left I have yet to play, but features Taj Mahal and I think it might be southern funky boogie. The Manu Dibango was also another oddity, good though.

Plenty of organ led stuff or small groups featuring organs. The Jimmy McGriff and Junior Parker LP (Groove Merchant) is a stunner, well recommended.

4 Gene Ammons Lps. The Black Cat (Prestige) is probably the highlight. The title track features Ron Carter on electric bass and he knocks out a pretty neat solo towards the end of the piece. Idris Muhammed pops up all over the place; here, also on the Got My Own LP where Billy Cobham also keeps the stool warm for a track or two; the highlight here is Tin Shack Out Back. This LP was recorded in 1973 but sounds uncannily like 1980s jazz, not altogether a good thing.

Willis Jackson; almost an instant collection. When it is good it is really good, Grease and Gravy (Prestige) being my current favourite.

The top two here are stone cold US Argo originals, always nice things to have. The Illonois Jacquet is a tribute to Cole Porter. A bit reverential and ponderous, perhaps, but the sleeve is gorgeous. And at least Timoll kept his scribbling to the reverse here.

I mentioned Rusty Bryant at the top. He appears as a sideman on a number of the LPs here, but leads on these three. Brilliant. If you don't have Soul Liberation I suggest you get a copy. Funky, funky, funky.

The top two are comps on Imperial, which has a great back catalogue. Jack Dupree bottom left and another comp of 40s Texas R&B.

6 Turrentine LPs, all from his his creative peak (incidentally Where it's at is a spare, got a bit carried away ) The Leo Parker is a bit more obscure, fantastic barritone.

The Horace Parlan LP also features the Turrentine brothers on an early date. The Johnny Griffin is a peach. Coltrane and Mobley completing a three tenor frontline.

The Cookbook is an RVG deep groove. Some early Shirley Scott and more Johnny Griffin.

More great Bluenotes and a couple of cracking LPs from Houston Person; Bernard Purdie, Joe Jones, Melvin Sparks, et al.

Sure somebody pointed out Snake Rhythm Rock (Beat Goes Public) from the pile of spines. Couple of crackers on here. The Billy Butler is equally as good, may even have the edge. Not listened to the Kirk yet, early though and I believe very good. The James Moody is okay.

The Tiny Topsy is good, some great call and response. The Blue Groove LP on Fontana appears to be a comp.

More Eddie Davis.

4 Coleman Hawkins LPs. Soul (Prestige) is very good, adjusting the sound to new audience. But great tenor sound throughout.

There was loads on Ben Webster. Only picked a few. Top right is a transcription of rehearsals with a radio big band. So loads of Ben talking, giving instructions, bollocking people and suchlike. The bottom left is his last studio recording, so quite poignant. I already have his final live recordings.

Three great Impulse LPs all with proper A numbers. That man Hawkins again with Ellington, though Ray Nance switching from Cornet to Violin on the last track is a revelation; steals the show. Shirley Scott being lovely and Clark Terry being a genius, as usual.

The Hank Crawfords are interesting, look more like Atlantic soul LPs than jazz LPs. Makes you wonder how they were marketing this. Also short funky tunes in the most part.

Half a dozen more comps. The three along the top are all regionally themed sax based R&B 78 transcriptions.

So there we are. As I said, I've ripped a lot of stuff and will put up the first proper chart soon.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
                There was loads on Ben Webster. Only picked a few. Top right is a transcription of rehearsals with a radio big band. So loads of Ben talking, giving instructions, bollocking people and suchlike. The bottom left is his last studio recording, so quite poignant. I already have his final live recordings.
                Saw his gravestone in Copenhagen once - a massive great bare slab with just his name and dates and nothing else as far as I remember. I got quite emotional when I unexpectedly stumbled upon that.

Nice haul there, with nice -and amazingly consistent - pricing. That Timoll bloke obviously wasn't too fussed about his cover-art. Was he holding his pen with his foot or something?

Of the ones I'm familiar with, always really liked the Billy Butler, Ivan 'Boogaloo' Jones and the Jimmy McGriff and Junior Parker. Got the Rusty Bryant you're raving about buried somewhere so will now be inspired to rummage around for a few weeks in the vein hope of actually finding it to hear again.
                Boy George knew my father

Comment

Originally posted by ninja simone View Post
                  Saw his gravestone in Copenhagen once - a massive great bare slab with just his name and dates and nothing else as far as I remember. I got quite emotional when I unexpectedly stumbled upon that.
                  I feel a pilgrimage coming on. I'm a huge Ben Webster fan.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

A few hoary chestnuts:

Ted Heath - Big Band Percussion (Phase 4 lp)
                    David Rose - The Stripper (MGM lp)
                    Francis Lai - Bilitis (UA lp)
                    Miguel Rios - Song of Joy (A&M lp)

and a rubbish 45 - Splashdown - It's a brand new day
                    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

I feel a pilgrimage coming on. I'm a huge Ben Webster fan.
                      A couple other jazz cats and famous Danes are buried in the same graveyard, incl. Dexter Gordon, Richard Boone, Søren Kierkegaard and HC andersen.

Comment

A visit to a local chazza gleaned these - sorry no pics

ELLA & DUKE AT THE COTE D'AZUR - UK VERVE LP

NEW ORLEANS RHYTHM KINGS/JELLY ROLL MORTON - N.O.R.K. - UK RIVERSIDE LP

OSCAR PETERSON TRIO - AFFINITY - UK VERVE LP

SAMMY DAVIS JR - NOW - UK MGM LP

45S

IT'S YOUR WORLD NOW, THE WORLD OF BP - 1970 UK SALES CONFERENCE PROMO

ADD RHYTHM VOLS 1-3 EP'S AD-RHYTHM RECS

all for a modest fee

Derek

Comment

I mean, where has Rusty Bryant been all my life? Is it a case of while everyone has been obsessed with Bluenote no one has bothered to comp up the Prestige stuff from this era? Well, if they have it has passed me by.
                          There were 3 'Acid Jazz' comps on BGP (with very garish sleeves) from the early 90's I think. Put together by the likes of Dewbury, Fe Jazz, Bangs I think.

They covered all the 10000 series big hitters, Pucho, Boogaloo Joe, Earland, Funk Inc, Bryant, Leon Spencer, Houston Person and more.

Well worth picking up if you see them.

A big recommendation from me would be Charles Earlands - Live at the lighthouse (Prestige) LP. Features the wonderful 'Spinky' but a solid LP all through.
                          Things ain't getting no brighter, load ain't getting no lighter.........

http://www.mixcloud.com/Ian_Barker/

Comment

Totally agree about non-Blue Note labels, there's so many landmark jazz LPs on Prestige, Atlantic, Columbia, Riverside, etc.

Had to travel (family duties) close to the North Eastern boundary of Cumbria to find this sextet, from the small town of Brampton, close to Lanercost Priory & Hadrian's wall. Always happy to find Jazz in a chazz, even if they are ex-library records. The aforementioned Ben Webster is live from the aforementioned Copenhagen.

Specials - spare, mint up?

Sham 69 - such good nick for a punk LP, so couldn't leave it behind. Heard some young people recently getting excited about their "We're going down the pub" refrain, not from this LP & it made me laugh (or lol as they probably would type).

Cheech & Chong - in giant roll-up style sleeve complete with surprisingly intact thin fag-paper insert. Could make a serious Camberwell-Carrot (more like Cucumber) with that, if I was a dopehead.
                            Last edited by mike sondek; 18-04-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

[What do you mean by the stickering on the cover? Doubt it came from a band member, cos they're American- but it sounds intriguing![/QUOTE]

...'tis A blue Circular sticker placed over one of the pictures - been professionally done, so I presume they really wanted him out of the picture - as it were...maybe he left/went solo/died from intoxicating liquer/slept with the manager's wife...? who know's...
                              Perfection to me is a nice cup of tea - and a day when evrybody is happy with their records!

Comment

Working...
                              X