Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C.Earland at the Lighthouse

Originally posted by Knitwearfan View Post
    A big recommendation from me would be Charles Earlands - Live at the lighthouse (Prestige) LP. Features the wonderful 'Spinky' but a solid LP all through.
    His version of "You Caught Me Smiling" on that LP is killer. When he goes into wahwah mode during his solo - intense.
    .ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.

Comment

Wow, I might have passed on that Swedish jazz lp!

Around the junk,boot and the charities.Boot was a bit dry with about 10 record blokes around 3 boxes.Someone got a nice Between the Buttons.Got a couple of Yma Sumac eps last week but nowt much this week.

MAGIC LANDSCAPE- HUNT AND TURNER -Village thing folk lp with Bristol connections.72 electric folk raer,some good tracks some slightly wrong.From a junk shop that's never had nowt before.
      JOHNNY KEATING AND 27 MEN- Brit jazz supergroup 64?Decca mono job,some nice tracks.Esp the Daddy Yaya recommends.
      MERCY MERCY- BUDDY RICH- psychy cover.Jazz straight but ok.
      BASIN STREET- CLIFFORD BROWN AND MAX ROACH- 58 jazz,uk copy on Pye Emarcy,bit crackly but great drums.
      THIS IS TELLY SAVALAS- class telly.

a Soul comp on cheapo Allegro and a very patchy Avon Cities Band lp.

And about 40 small label 7s from the late 90s and early 00s.Some crap but some interesting bits like Dreas Boomers and Object by Rogers Sisters.I didnt have a clue about any of these.Wouldnt have got so many but they were 20p each.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ROCKPROF; 19-04-2009, 12:17 AM.
      http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Originally posted by THUNDERTHUMBS View Post
        ...'tis A blue Circular sticker placed over one of the pictures - been professionally done, so I presume they really wanted him out of the picture - as it were...maybe he left/went solo/died from intoxicating liquer/slept with the manager's wife...? who know's...
        Sounds like one of those unshiftable price reduction stickers you used to get on stuff in Woolworths...they often fade so as to be blank.
        Last edited by Joe M'geek; 19-04-2009, 10:57 AM.
        "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
          A couple other jazz cats and famous Danes are buried in the same graveyard, incl. Dexter Gordon, Richard Boone, Søren Kierkegaard and HC andersen.
          also Niels Bohr the Danish physicist (subject of Michael Frayn's play Copenhagen')...
          Boy George knew my father

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
            Wow, I might have passed on that Swedish jazz lp!
            if you'd got as far as the small-print on the back-cover you might not have done as there's a credit to 'the new American trumpet star' Donald Byrd who was visiting Stockholm 'when the record was being recorded' (in 1958) - playing on two tracks.
            Boy George knew my father

Comment

leon thomas: blues and the soulful truth - great funky jazzy soul
              paul hardcastle: king tut 12" - loves me some slick electrofunk
              hyperdermic needlz: always / word up - dope underproduced rap indie from 1995

and a grip of minty jermaine jackson and four tops stables for peanuts
              and carole king: rhymes and reasons cause i was curious about the original been to canaan

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
                The Tiny Topsy is good, some great call and response. The Blue Groove LP on Fontana appears to be a comp..
                I too love Ben Webster's sound... gorgeous always.

Good find on the Tiny Topsy. Is it a 'Best Of'? That's the only photograph I've ever seen of her and is on the 'Best Of' CD that was out a while back.

I don't normally do 'raw' but her personality really cuts through on some very cool songs.
                <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
                  I too love Ben Webster's sound... gorgeous always.

Good find on the Tiny Topsy. Is it a 'Best Of'? That's the only photograph I've ever seen of her and is on the 'Best Of' CD that was out a while back.

I don't normally do 'raw' but her personality really cuts through on some very cool songs.
                  The track listing on the Tiny Topsy is thus,

Aw, Shucks Baby (title track)
                  A Womans Intuition
                  Miss You So
                  Come on, Come on, Come on
                  Ring Around My Finger
                  You Shocked Me

Just a Little Bit
                  Everybody Needs Some Loving
                  Waterproof Eyes
                  Western Rock 'n' Roll
                  Cha Cha Sue

Dating from between 57 and 59. All of the sides were recorded for Federal. A Womans Intuition previously unissued. The liner notes are flabbergasted as to why; rightfully, a really brilliant track. This compilation dates from 1988.
                  Last edited by piglit'n'rolf; 19-04-2009, 06:30 PM.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

from the record fair at Naas this morning. Brought some inherited (and unwanted) metal LPs to trade so this lot worked out at a good price.

still going through 'em.

Sonny Stitt With The Ralph Burns Strings - The Sensual Sound Of LP
                    Nice early 60s LP, starts well with Try A Little Tenderness.

Cannonball Adderley - Soul Zodiac 2xLP
                    Long time want.

Willie Bobo - Feelin' So Good LP
                    Two great vocal tracks on this.

Yusef Lateef - The Golden Flute LP
                    Sealed copy. Now opened and straight to HeadHunters. Great.

Various - The Good Old Way LP
                    Solid Topic comp from 1980. 18 tracks.

Them - World Of Them LP
                    Looking forward to finally playing my own LP as opposed to an ancient taped copy which has been the case for years.

Quincy Jones - Quincy's Got A Brand New Bag LP
                    All about Mohair Sam so far.

Electronic Concept Orchestra - Moog Groove LP
                    Hit and miss this one but worth it for a couple of tracks esp Rock Me.

Children's dinosaur jigsaw on floor...
                    Last edited by nlgbbbblth; 19-04-2009, 07:09 PM.
                    YouTube

Comment

There was a record fair in Naas?!

Actually, couldn't have gone, so perhaps better I didn't know.....

Nice haul.
                      Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
                        There was a record fair in Naas?!

Actually, couldn't have gone, so perhaps better I didn't know.....

Nice haul.
                        have a look at this post - only found out about it the other day. There's a schedule there.

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showpo...&postcount=180
                        YouTube

Comment

Went to the rubbish kettering 'record fair' on saturday. usual three blokes selling the same records they always seem to have. but did have a bit of luck:

finally managed to get hold of 'better bring another bottle baby' by cat stevens on an ugly compilation for 2 quid. been after this for a while so well chuffed to find. ACE tune IMO.

compilation of trojan funkier stuff. highlight is the chequers version of 'get up, stand up' which is just about as perfect as possible. wicked. my neighbours are probably sick of this by now. however, i am continuing to enjoy it on continuous rotation.

dizzy gillespie/stuff smith - bought this as it had a tune on it called 'rio pakistan' - latin AND eastern!!!! bit prosaic though, i suppose it only is 1957. ok, not great.

dexter gordon lp on inner city - bought this cos it had a tune on it called 'a la modal' but bit disapointed. ok straight up jazz but lacks the exoticism i was hoping for! still only a couple of quid.

lp called 'Retrospect' best of BBC jazz club ?? some trad stuff thats not my bag but two crackers from Harry South big band featuring Hayes, Ronnie Scott, Tony Coe...'New Thyme Waltz' and a take on Dick Morrisey's 'Storm Warning'. belting couple of tunes. good to get this for a couple of quid too.

chuffed enough...
                          Yusef Lateef

Comment

Originally posted by Greedy Boy View Post
                            lp called 'Retrospect' best of BBC jazz club ?? some trad stuff thats not my bag but two crackers from Harry South big band featuring Hayes, Ronnie Scott, Tony Coe...'New Thyme Waltz' and a take on Dick Morrisey's 'Storm Warning'. belting couple of tunes. good to get this for a couple of quid too.

chuffed enough...
                            That's a good comp - the Johnny Dankworth tune on side 1 is great too. Harry South's take on Storm Warning is probably the best on it alright.
                            YouTube

Comment

Quality not quantity this weekend .....but dammit - I want quantity A lot of legwork turned up these

first decent library I've found in ages - nice to get it in a charity too. I'd say 4 great tracks and the rest is at least listenable. Russian dusty fingers-esque LP from the boot this morning, Nancy and Kraftwerk (just a spaceship nae swirly) from a record shop but used 'record tokens' to get them - loving both of them for different reasons. Red Squares was this week's solitary PO box 'find' - one storming track and a lot of filler IMHO
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

great version of It Ain't Me Babe on the Nancy LP
                                YouTube

Comment

Working...
                                X