Weekend Finds 17th April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ralph McTell.

I have left more Ralph McTell LPs than I have eaten Gregg's steak bakes over the years. And that's a lot of albums.

Please tell me they're all crap.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
      Ralph McTell.

I have left more Ralph McTell LPs than I have eaten Gregg's steak bakes over the years. And that's a lot of albums.

STEAK BAKES?

had you down as more of a smoked chicken and avocado ciabatta man H !!

never had any luck with ralph myself - usually pretty lame assed stuff

digging your country ramblings in shindig by the way
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Ralph McTell.

The first one with the pink cover is good '8 frames a second' - the title track is brilliant.
        www.45cat.com
        http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by highland cow View Post
          The first one with the pink cover is good '8 frames a second' - the title track is brilliant.
          will try it again !!
          Rockwell
          Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

A man needs carbo-stodge on a cycle ride home, Sie.
            Give us a break, eh!

Seen that pink covered one a fair few times.
            Next time, Alan. And cheers for the heads-up.
            To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Seen that pink covered one a fair few times.
              Next time, Alan. And cheers for the heads-up.
              I'm sure there was a cheap copy in your nearest record shop before i left London.

(His albums always go down cheap as poor Ralph seems terminally un-hip)

You can download a vinyl rip HERE if you want to check it out.

Everything else I've heard by him has been a bit dull.

www.45cat.com
              http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Ralph McTell.

Ralph's 'Streets of London' never did a lot for me - rather turned my stomach in fact - but then I found a record with a woman singing it in Chinese which I totally love for it's incongruity - although for all I know she's singing ' ...and lead you through the streets of Hong Kong' - like to think she's still singing about London though...
                Boy George knew my father

Comment

Do you even get Greggs down in London? I thought it was the sort of greasy northern oikery that you southern lot in your glass palaces crossed the road to avoid.

Re Ralph McTell - I only have Sprial Staircase but I enjoy it very much. Thankyou
                  ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by highland cow View Post
                    McTell agreement!
                    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post

MAGIC LANDSCAPE- HUNT AND TURNER -Village thing folk lp with Bristol connections.72 electric folk raer,some good tracks some slightly wrong.From a junk shop that's never had nowt before and a very patchy Avon Cities Band lp.
                      Hunt and Turner is a nice find - must have sold reasonably well, had a couple of those. One really nice track on that Avon Cities LP!

Comment

I was out early Saturday on a flyer/poster run so thought I'd look in the charities for a change - not a bad look, really....

Beautifully clean (final upgrade!!!!) of Osmonds w/psych track, near-perfect Bee Gees w/psych track and pop-up, two 1989 politico-indie 12's I haven't checked yet....

Early 80's Wackies dub LP, ex-library Zydeco comp, remarkably EX+ Pioneers on Trojan, Twinkle Brothers....

also picked up a little pile of very nice condition 50p 45s - some great (Who "I'm a boy", Marmalade "Mess Around", Love Affair "Let me know"), and some not so (Barry Ryan 'Love is love', Goldie 'Making up again', Chicory Tip 'What's your name') and a Dave Dee 45 I've yet to play...

then hit my favourite shop and spent a few hours going through the ex-reggae DJ collection they'd just bought in, and grabbed about 40 for a couple of quid each:

Not the prettiest records around (soundman markings abound) and certainly well-played over the years, but some killer tunes priced right. Amazing how well some of them play considering what they look like - another tribute to 60's vinyl!

Highlights so far:

Blank is Laurel Aitken 'Benwood Dick', also got a blank of Laurel Aitken 'Reggae 69', which I'd been after for a while...

Last edited by john stapleton; 21-04-2009, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Nice, Trial of Pama Dice is hilarious.
                          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                            Hunt and Turner is a nice find - must have sold reasonably well, had a couple of those. One really nice track on that Avon Cities LP!

A few copies ,eh.Must be the Bristol Connection what with the thanks to Bristol Musical on the back.The guitar shop just off of St Mikes Hill that closed down a few years back. The track penned by the bass player on that Avon Cities lp is quite good.
                            http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
                              A few copies ,eh.Must be the Bristol Connection what with the thanks to Bristol Musical on the back.The guitar shop just off of St Mikes Hill that closed down a few years back. The track penned by the bass player on that Avon Cities lp is quite good.
                              The Village Thing LPs do turn up round Bristol, don't they? Though not the Sun Also Rises, as far as I can see....

Is the Avon Cities track 'Slood Mood' or something like that?

Comment

Amazing haul there John!

I went into a stereo/audio equipment store at the weekend looking for a new cart for my girlfriend's turntable after pinching hers. On my way out, I noticed a load of records in a deserted corner. None of them were priced, and when I asked the young guy behind the desk, he said the guy who used to price them rarely comes in any more, so I should pick out what I'm interested in and he's 'find out' the prices. Uh oh - out comes the Bible, I thought, but nope. I picked out seven 45s that interested me, put them infront of him, and he just said "Quid each?" I offered a fiver and job done.

At Last The 1958 Rock & Roll Show - I Can't Drive (CBS)
                                Del Shannon - Ginny In The Mirror (London)
                                Shorty Long - Here Comes The Judge (Tamla Motown)
                                Lulu - He Don't Want Your Love Anymore (Decca)
                                Little Richard - Ohh! My Soul (London)
                                The Association - Windy (London)
                                Bob Seger And The Last Heard - East Side Story (Cameo Parkway)
                                Last edited by Beatfreak; 24-04-2009, 02:02 PM.
                                SEALED, this has a sticker on the front reading "COLOUR VINYL" so it's probably not black vinyl, even though black is a colour.

Comment

Working...
                                X