X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• priima
    replied
    Originally posted by pencilface View Post
    MOMENTS & WHATNAUTS - "girls" (i ruddy love this, and it's so far removed from what i ordinarily listen to. amateur-sounding disco-y soul funk. sounds like it was recorded in a garage)
    I should get one myself too.
    I used to like Daedelus track "Girls" (youtube) a lot and then I found what track it was sampling. I had already forgot it.

Leave a comment:

• effi_deep
    replied
    MOMENTS & WHATNAUTS - "girls" (i ruddy love this, and it's so far removed from what i ordinarily listen to. amateur-sounding disco-y soul funk. sounds like it was recorded in a garage)
    i love this to!
    the lyrics are just ridiculously hilarious! first time i've heard it i couldn't stop laughing. unbelieveable

Leave a comment:

• pencilface
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Muench View Post
    Was it the 3 dog night version? Thats pretty nice. I also quite like that Free LP, some nice tracks on it.
    no it's not- - its a really little tinny version that was on a jaymack mix a few years ago. i loves it.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Muench
    replied
    FREE - s/t (bought for the track "woman" - but it turns out it was a cover version i was after. don't know who by though!! this is the best Free LP ive heard)
    Was it the 3 dog night version? Thats pretty nice. I also quite like that Free LP, some nice tracks on it.

Leave a comment:

• kirkatron
    replied
    Originally Posted by pencilface
    :

Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post
    Fan of this myself. I'll take a punt on anything with that 'Soul Peeper' eye on it
    I gave this a spin at home yesterday. Always reminds me of my teenage disco years along with Jack in the box, Nine times etc.

Leave a comment:

• BlackRegent
    replied
    here's my recent stuff - -nothing especially exciting but its nearly all from charity shops for a change:

Fan of this myself. I'll take a punt on anything with that 'Soul Peeper' eye on it

Leave a comment:

• pencilface
    replied
    here's my recent stuff - -nothing especially exciting but its nearly all from charity shops for a change:

AFRICAN SANKTUS (ruddy heck! i must have flicked past this a million times... amazing album. beautiful field recordings in some parts, mental b-boy drums in others!! all mashed together like a wierd mix tape... well known here i imagine)
    FISTFUL OF DOLLARS ost (a nice listen)
    NEW YORK ROCK N ROLL ENSEMBLE - "reflections" (a nice listne all the way through -- not a patch on their "roll over" LP, though... i love that one. cheers Campag for the trade)
    MONTY SUNSHINE - "the wide beat" (thought this might be amazing -- but its just some crappy rag time jazz stuff)
    FREE - s/t (bought for the track "woman" - btu it turns out it was a cover version i was after. don't know who by though!! this is the best Free LP ive heard)
    VANGELIS - "the dragon" (van w/ a guitarist and drummer. spacey jamming from 71)
    *some italin folker* (bought for the amazing cover -- music is not to my taste. protest folk?)
    JON PENN - "music from easy rider" (mostly naff covers - -but 'if six was nine' is a nice fuzz n organ instro)
    BBC THEMES (stone fox chase)
    CLODAGH ROGERS- "midnight clodagh" (cheers campag - -the track "spider" is great fun)
    CHRIS SQUIRE - "fish out of water" (listenable prog from Yes-man. some grooves and a madlib sample)
    HOT HITS (silly cover of "paranoid")

plus some 45's:
    DDDBMT - "sun goes down" (lovely pic bag)
    RM EP "sure beats" (includes b-boyerrific BOMB THE BASS cut "megablast (rap version)")
    MANTRONIX - "Bassline"
    NME EP (from sept 86 - includes MANTRONIX's "hardcore hip hop" and a decent COSTELLO tune)
    GINA X - "no g.d.m" (two sides of killer cosmic synth pop)

Leave a comment:

• Little Jimmy Oddman
    replied
    Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
    Ralph McTell.

Please tell me they're all crap.
    Nope. I like Michael In The Garden, its been on a few of his releases and is definitely worth picking up if you stumble across it for about the price of a steak bake.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Muench
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
    A piece of music called 'Brown'? Lovely!

Am I right in thinking El Padrino is the theme from The Godfather? A nice tribute to his old bandmate from Palermo if so!
    Ah yeah, thats it. Just couldnt think what it was when i was typing up the track list.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    A piece of music called 'Brown'? Lovely!

Am I right in thinking El Padrino is the theme from The Godfather? A nice tribute to his old bandmate from Palermo if so!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Muench
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post

That Vero Nori looks extremely interesting - what's the full tracklisting? Any original compositions?

EDIT - Vero Nori appears to be an Italian clarinettist/saxophonist who played in the Hot Club De Palermo with Nino Rota in the 1950s.
    So i wasnt a million miles off with my fausto comparison....

I could be wrong but i think all the songs are all cover versions. The track listing is as follows:

Too Young
    Clair
    Whats Going On (a really good cover in that you dont recognise the song unitl a good minute in)
    El Padrino (which i recognised but cant place)
    Nicky
    Pardonee moi Ce Caprice D'Enfant
    Puppy Love
    Il Gabbiano Infelice
    Ironside
    Diamonds Are Forever
    Brown (which sounds like an instrumental version of Quincy Jones' "Hikky Burr")
    Concero Aranjuez

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied
    Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
    Is the Avon Cities track 'Slood Mood' or something like that?
    Yep. Great track.

Leave a comment:

• Beatfreak
    replied
    Amazing haul there John!

I went into a stereo/audio equipment store at the weekend looking for a new cart for my girlfriend's turntable after pinching hers. On my way out, I noticed a load of records in a deserted corner. None of them were priced, and when I asked the young guy behind the desk, he said the guy who used to price them rarely comes in any more, so I should pick out what I'm interested in and he's 'find out' the prices. Uh oh - out comes the Bible, I thought, but nope. I picked out seven 45s that interested me, put them infront of him, and he just said "Quid each?" I offered a fiver and job done.

At Last The 1958 Rock & Roll Show - I Can't Drive (CBS)
    Del Shannon - Ginny In The Mirror (London)
    Shorty Long - Here Comes The Judge (Tamla Motown)
    Lulu - He Don't Want Your Love Anymore (Decca)
    Little Richard - Ohh! My Soul (London)
    The Association - Windy (London)
    Bob Seger And The Last Heard - East Side Story (Cameo Parkway)
    Last edited by Beatfreak; 24-04-2009, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
    A few copies ,eh.Must be the Bristol Connection what with the thanks to Bristol Musical on the back.The guitar shop just off of St Mikes Hill that closed down a few years back. The track penned by the bass player on that Avon Cities lp is quite good.
    The Village Thing LPs do turn up round Bristol, don't they? Though not the Sun Also Rises, as far as I can see....

Is the Avon Cities track 'Slood Mood' or something like that?

Leave a comment:

• ROCKPROF
    replied
    Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
    Hunt and Turner is a nice find - must have sold reasonably well, had a couple of those. One really nice track on that Avon Cities LP!

A few copies ,eh.Must be the Bristol Connection what with the thanks to Bristol Musical on the back.The guitar shop just off of St Mikes Hill that closed down a few years back. The track penned by the bass player on that Avon Cities lp is quite good.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X