Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds 9-10th May

Keepers:

John Brown Junior's go-go music: The Happening - Sunshine superman is top VG+ bizness
    Steve miller band: Fly like an eagle - just cause
    Best of Barry White - dbl lp w I'm gonna love you just a little more baby
    The Kimberleys: s/t - siblings-country vocal group, bangin version of Ode to Billy Joe
    Heaven Bound w Tony Scotty: Breaking up is hard to do - light groovy pop a la Jean Leccia/Lexia, two standout tracks at first listen
    Andy Roberts: Home grown - sad folk on Ampex, sounds promising

Maybe tradeables:

Moscow Jazz Ensemble: Cadence/Sign of blues - progressive jazz on Melodia
    Gene & Debbe: Hear & now - incl. I'll come running, in shrink
    Tom Northcott: Upside downside - on Uni
    Antonio Maquin: Habra un nuevo mundo - on Corpa
    Billy Vaughn feat. Carol Lombard: Ode to Billy Joe
    Chet Atkins: Solid gold '69 - incl. Son of a preacher man

?!

Pleased to come back from a longish Brizzle dig with one 50p popsike wonder. . .

Wasn't sure quite what this was, but I was hoping for some sort of odd popsikey concept LP and I appear to have come home with. . . an odd popsikey concept LP.

Quite diggin' this so far, overblown production and some nice vocal harmonies, offbeat lyrics etc. Seems like this is utterly unlike their raucous early 45s but at 50p I'm not grousing!

Sorry Prof

Comment

Local fleamarket today. Got there after the local and crumpy dealer type, but still got a few things.
      Shorty long. Here comes the judge. Minty copy on motown. Groovy, like it
      Steel pulse. Revolution dub 12. Realy nice.
      Randy rayder in outer space. lp and comic book in one. Looks nice but not my thing. Will keep it because i like comics.
      BBC essential soundeffects looked fun, but naah. Its going back to the wild.

Comment

I'm on a work trip to New York. Managed to engineer a free weekend in the middle & already spent a few hours digging. Sorry no pics

Good Records

I took in a few spares which paid for the following:

45s

l'Orchestre Poly Rythmo - Wloui bonu houide / Akue we non houme (Aux Ecoutes); Ma savo home / Nougbo vehou (Aux Ecoutes). Nice stock copies of Benin's finest
        Sons of Nature - Ride the vibe / Traveling star (Juldane). The b-side blows me away - fantastic slow tempo soul. Anyone know it?
        Jakki - Sun sun sun / inst (Pyramid). Disco classic

LPs

Cy, Maia & Robert - Out of our times (Sonet). Danish folk with jazzy touches & Sahib Shihab involvement. I think Viva Chiba played 'Cuckold' off this at Brillo a year or so back
        The Spirit Level - s/t (Dot). Bought after (I think) Towny included the fantastic 'Equipment' on a swap CD a few years ago
        Chrs McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath - s/t (RCA). Jazz classic I've never managed to pick up
        Woody Simmons - Oregon Mountains (Deep River). 'Gray Day' comped on 'Folk is Not...vol2'. Lots more in the same vein here - lovely album.
        Thorinshield - s/t (Philips). Another gap-filler - sounds great on first listen
        Jon Lucien - I am now (RCA). A bit beat up but plays okay

Then a big stroke of luck. I was wandering around this morning waiting for downtown stores to open & found a stall in a street market with eye-buggingly good stuff. The guy who ran it said he's collected records for decades, doesn't use ebay, sells at fairs... and has a lock-up which I fixed to go and see tomorrow. Hopefully more along these lines - all between $10 and $20 each:

12"s:

Supreme DJ Nyborn - Versatility (Payroll). Fuck, this is fantastic late 80s hip hop
        Main Source - Watch Roger do his thing / The Large Professor (Actual). Sure everyone knows this...
        Max Berlin's Dream Disco (Malligator). Haven't listened to this yet
        Cloud One - Atmosphere Strutt (P&P). Patrick Adams classic

LPs:

Hopeton Lewis - Take it easy (Merritone). Includes 'Sounds of pressure'. Jamaican press, in good condition. Liking this a lot...
        The Paragons - Riding High with... (Treasure Isle). Another Jamaican pressing. Yet to get to this but backing from Tommy McCook is promising
        Arpadys - s/t (Polydor). Spacy French disco
        Dogs of War - s/t (Gen). Heard a track from this on Vinylism's excellent disco swap CD. The rest of this is every bit as good - Canadian way-out dance epic. Some of the track titles give an idea of what it's like - 'Spaciula'; 'Intergalactic tactic'; 'Space conqueror'. Kind of Sun Ra meets Larry Levan, if that's not too lazy a comparison
        Lincoln Chase - 'n You (Paramount). Haven't got round to this yet
        Eugene McDaniels - Outlaw (Atlantic). As loved by Babycart
        Eddie Kendricks - People ... Hold On (Motown). Really stoked to get an original of this. I love this album
        Muddy Waters - Electric Mud (Cadet Concept). Perfect condition gatefold. As above
        Alice Coltrane with Strings - World Galaxy (Impulse). And another ditto
        Lebron Brothers - Salsa y Control (Cotique). Top notch Latin LP
        Mother Night - s/t (Columbia). Only know 'Fools are you' which was reason enough to buy it. Hope the rest is in the same vein
        Hampton Hawes - Universe (Prestige). Another on the 'to listen this evening' pile
        Jon Lucien - Mind's Eye (RCA). I'm a sucker for anything by JL. THis is one of his best
        Afro Blues Quintet plus One - Introducing (Mira). Why didn't they call themselves the Afro Blues Sextet?

Now I'm worried about getting carried away tomorrow & blowing a fortune. On the other hand you don't get stuff like the above very often, so this might have to be a big splurge followed by major credit card debt...

If anyone wants me to keep an eye out for anything give me a shout. Not promising anything, but seriously the guy has excellent taste and by all accounts a serious collection which he's selling at very reasonable prices...

Then went to Big City Records & did another trade. Picked up:

Chuck Sibit - No no baby / Out of the darkness (Ultra-Class). Lovely mid-tempo soul
        True Movement - Depression / What a lovely way to meet (Mystic Insight). Sounded very classy soul on needle drop. Need to make sure that was right
        The Sisters and Brothers - Chained / Ack-a-fool (Calla). Calla is usually high quality soul - this is up to the mark
        Liz Lands - Don't shut me out / One man's poison (One-derful). Nice jazz-tinged soul
        Jackie Lee - Your sweetness is my weakness / You were searching for a love (Uni). Jackie takes on Barry White who co-arranges. Again, sounded good on needle-drop
        Last edited by Tom B; 10-05-2009, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          went to Big City Records & did another trade. Picked up:

Nice Finds mate.

Did you not go to Academy records as it's just a block down from Big City records?
          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Yes, not much there to be honest. The Academy in Williamsburg seems to have much better stuff - planning to have a look tomorrow if I've got any money left...

Comment

By the way, does anyone know if the Sound Library on Orchard St has closed down? Been past twice & the shutters are firmly shut

Comment

Yes, not much there to be honest. The Academy in Williamsburg seems to have much better stuff - planning to have a look tomorrow if I've got any money left...

Shame....I got some pretty good stuff from there, unfortunately I never made it to their Williamsburg store.
                "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                  Shame....I got some pretty good stuff from there, unfortunately I never made it to their Williamsburg store.
                  Maybe I wasn't in the right mood... I've found some nice things there before but you should get out to Williamsburg next time

Comment

I got some good cheapish jazz and hiphop at Academy in both Manhattan and Williamsburg last October.

If you go to Williamsburg you should try the famous, city's best pizza around the corner. Has some Italian name. They use a brick oven. Tasty...

Also Mercer Street Books on Mercer Street occasionally has some random goodies for cheap.

Comment

Dogs of War - s/t (Gen). Heard a track from this on Vinylism's excellent disco swap CD. The rest of this is every bit as good - Canadian way-out dance epic. Some of the track titles give an idea of what it's like - 'Spaciula'; 'Intergalactic tactic'; 'Space conqueror'. Kind of Sun Ra meets Larry Levan, if that's not too lazy a comparison
                      Great find, seems really hard to get hold of a copy now.

Comment

1 Euro. Yes please

Comment

Originally posted by BeatsDeluxe View Post

1 Euro. Yes please
                          I want!! Congrats!

Comment

Nice finds Tom - i found both academy 'vinyl' shops great ... there is 3rd CD only one too...need to get back to NYC !!
                            Looking forward to the photos,hope you're luggage allowance is going to be ok !!
                            Rockwell
                            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
                              I want!! Congrats!
                              Haven't even heard this to be honest, just seen it go for crazy money lately, and now went for 1 euro (no other bidders). No grading so might be a busted copy or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X