Weekend finds 31st October / 1st November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds 31st October / 1st November

Yesterday I went to a secondhand record shop and purchased some secondhand records. Below is a photograph of the secondhand records I purchased

Clockwise, from top left:

The Intruders - Super Hits (Philadelphia International / CBS) - never heard of them before - maybe it's a big bag of 5h1te?

The Best of Earl Bostich (Contour) - loving the track Harlem Nocturne

Sax Greats (Everest Records) - Jazz from the mid 40s - OK, from what I've heard so far

Silent Poets - To Come... Remix Volume 01 (Toy's Factory) (a cheat, as this one arrived in the post during the week - shoot me) - remixes from various folk (Lewis Parker, Nitin Sawhney, Mark Stewart, DJ Vadim, amongst others)

Was in Dublin for Twinkranes album launch on Friday night so had the opportunity to do a charity run.

Someone dumped a Hansi collection into Trout's place which worked out at around 80 cent each.

The good. Can't find my old Hansimania so good to get another.

The not-so-sure

The doubles / spares

The rest of the stuff is pretty bottom-feed but again mostly for euro or less. The chazzas here seemed to have pulled down their prices.

of this lot the Total Sound sampler has a pair of good Enoch Lights and Helmut's decent take on Oh Happy Day.

The TOTP is volume 58 from 1977. Nice Moody Blue.

Ronnie Aldrich does a good My Sweet Lord.

The Sandpipers should be a spare but I can't find my other copy which is on Hamlet.

and some more

The Shadows is from 1977 which means the same year as Bennett's Rock Dreams. And it's just as good.

Albert Hammond is hmmm. Not many records with tracks called Rebecca (my daughter's name) so it got picked. Cheesy coming of age prom tune.

and again

this lot came from a combination of Harolds Cross antiques and Age Action.
    Dutch organ sounds - not bad.
    The World Of Christmas was sealed - grew up with my parents copy of it while the TV themes album was snapped up for Howards' Way.

finally from Spindizzy

first time to ever see the Alan Tew in the wild and it was a good price. Great Penny Lane and These Boots.

The Frank Barber was all about Bach n Bongos in the shop and has just started a second spin now.
    Last edited by nlgbbbblth; 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM.
    YouTube

Comment

James Last Overkill
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Cheating here as these are my pick of what I amassed in the last few weekends - set sales, Car Boots, PO box, trades...you name it Special big up to the best 45 sales box in the north of England - cheers Sie.

Pic sleeve 'There Was a Time' for buttons? Go on then.

big band northern cheapie

Pleased to get this out of a charity in superb nick for change - not a bad track on here.

Charity shop twangy uptempo t*ttyshaker:

Drums and acid rock geetars!!!

A pressie from Fuz! Cheers mate. Lovely latin bongo throwdown.

Oh yes indeed! Big fat fuzz and a cracking tune. Now I really want a copy of the LP.

To my ears THE version of this tune - blows the superb Tandy version out of the water. Mr Divine told me about another cover of it but in my usual sieve like way I've forgotten who it's by - Andrew?

I love this - cracking pop tune with big fat drums.

Hammond stormer! Now to get the really tough one

Funky Euro cheapie.

Sublime slice of psych.

Strange one this - sooo much phasing over an odd tune.

Only the Reggae version of 'Champ' to go now I think - this is a weird Nigerian press by the way.

South American take on the Jimi tune - they don't really mess with it too much but the homemade sounding fuzzbox shreds!

The Generation Gap 'Shaft' LP is a cracker (thanks Nige) good hammond heavy instro versions of 'Rocksteady', 'Hallelujah' and others. Spare Ray Swinfield - going to Glasgow though I think Some lovely dub and a bit of late garage pop.

Fresh Maggots is a boot / reiss which I picked up cheap - having now heard it I wouldn't spend big money on it. Got excited about the Gary Walker and Rain LP as I thought it was an orig or 2nd press or somesuch - it's a boot What a great LP though! Why did it not come out in the UK?

An exciting moment yesterday when I found a clutch of Dutch LPs in a charity shop including a bunch on Omega including one with Nico Gomez on it - I though I was in for a 'Ritual' but nah. Bought a bunch of them but only kept the comp in the pic. The Poppys LP was out of the same lot and it has a couple of nicely weird tracks on it. Percy was in that lot too and is a spare. I found the Los Puntos in another charity nearby - almost didn't take it as it looks so very cheesy but it's actually got some nice tunes on it with fuzzy guitars - I can find nowt about them except the fact they are Argentinian - anyone know anything about them? Any decent 45s?

Got the Ever Green Blues LP at the boot this morning and have played it a couple of times already - nice 60's pop with psychey touches and a storming version of 'Gimme Some Lovin'. The Paramour is not a patch on the Shadows one he also did.

Te Mexican Beatles covers LP was a gift from Nige and I actually quite like it - cheers. Gary Lewis is more 60's pop and the Finlux LP is a bunch of TV theme tunes including a few classic KPM standbys

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post

To my ears THE version of this tune - blows the superb Tandy version out of the water. Mr Divine told me about another cover of it but in my usual sieve like way I've forgotten who it's by - Andrew?
          Ipsissimus on Parlophone. Not a patch on the one you've got there though.
          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

a Pleasure mate - some lovely gear to eye up there too . . . that steve karmen is great eh?
            i'm digging the vocal version...and loving that dusty EP - So that is where her version of the magic garden comes from...nice to see some finds posted that don't remind me of all the local charity shops !!
            Will post mine when i can actually get to them [ we are in the process of decorating this week ] - maybe this was the version of hold on Andrew was reffering to -
            http://expo67-cavestones.blogspot.co...old-on_29.html
            Rockwell
            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
              maybe this was the version of hold on Andrew was reffering to -
              http://expo67-cavestones.blogspot.co...old-on_29.html
              It was indeed - thanks John and Sie. That's a rather splendid version too, certainly wouldn't mind a copy but still doesn't top Ruperts People though IMHO

Meant to say the Loop 12' was picked up due to a cover of 'Mother Sky' and it's pretty good - I remember going to see Loop a few times and never being that fussed - Stooges wannabes I thought but I reckon if they were around now doing that I'd be well interested......unless they still are and are calling themselves the Horrors??
              Last edited by LDJB; 01-11-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

There's a track from the Poppys lp coming to a swap CD near you soon.
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                  There's a track from the Poppys lp coming to a swap CD near you soon.
                  Which one? I'd earmarked one too

Comment

To my ears THE version of this tune - blows the superb Tandy version out of the water.

Only the Reggae version of 'Champ' to go now I think - this is a weird Nigerian press by the way.

Definitely THE version of this tune - and judging by the fairly regular appearance it makes on eBay, possibly the best selling version at the time as well? Think I might have a spare of this, should anyone fancy a trade...

Liking that Nigerian press!

Comment

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth View Post
                      Someone dumped a Hansi collection into Trout's place which worked out at around 80 cent each.
                      Those look familiar ... I saw almost exactly the same lot in a junk shop on the way to work last week. Japanese presses with obi. If anyone is interested I can check condition/titles.
                      https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                      http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                      https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                      https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Had a trip to couple of local charity shops and boot fairs this weekend and managed to grab a couple of odd things, a double pack 7" in a gatefold sleeve put out by the civil service with a card insert and a letter advising on the use of the record and four kids story 7"s on Power Records from the US.

It was nice to actually go home with some records for once !!!

We Love 99% Of Our Buyers Too As They Are Freat To Deal With

Comment

big band northern cheapie

Pleased to get this out of a charity in superb nick for change - not a bad track on here.
                          Mine as six quid - a corker of a rug cutter indeed - if only a copy of the Scotty Williams - "Fear" would fall at my feet like that...
                          Last edited by MPFlapp; 02-11-2009, 01:29 AM. Reason: obtuse internet paste nonsense
                          "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

@ Imperial Mao you'll have to play nige that "civil service" record the next time he's round Sten mate.

Interesting finds BTW.
                            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                              @ Imperial Mao you'll have to play nige that "civil service" record the next time he's round Sten mate.

Interesting finds BTW.
                              Ha ha, I rang him about it as soon as I picked it up, was almost tempted to wrap it up as a Christmas gift...
                              We Love 99% Of Our Buyers Too As They Are Freat To Deal With

Comment

Working...
                              X