• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mang
    replied
    Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
    You heard much else on the label, Alan?
    Anything to compete with Winston?
    "Superstar" by Buster is a good 'un on Bradleys. Great glam gear!

Leave a comment:

• Col Wolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by modernism View Post
    Bud's right you know!

I'm sure the 45 by Chris Andrews isn't that bad either - well, one side of it anyway.... could be wrong though.
    really? Some solo artist has done it - I have it on someone's comp (I think Matt Hero?). I initially posted it up as Dave Berry but changed it to Chris Andrews. Maybe it was Robert Canning? Fuck knows.

Leave a comment:

• highland cow
    replied
    I'd go along with Towny with the stuff I've heard.

Pentlandsound is the man to ask as he uploaded almost all the scans to the site.

Leave a comment:

• TOWNY
    replied
    I've had a fair few of those Orange Bradleys singles and they've all been really tepid

Leave a comment:

• jakartajive
    replied

Leave a comment:

• highland cow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mang View Post
    Title sleeve with a drawing of some folks standing outside a hotel.
    And yes, it's an astounding single.
    They used that sleeve for all the 45's (Though it may well be Promo only)

I actually find it a bit creepy (the sleeve not the 45), not sure why.

Leave a comment:

• Mang
    replied
    Just the generic Bradley's label-specific promo sleeve, though?
    Or something else?

All the Bradley's 45s I have have the same sleeve.

Mona is astounding, though, no?
    Totally demented production - and very outre lyrics about giving dogs boners!

Anyone heard their later 45?
    Title sleeve with a drawing of some folks standing outside a hotel.
    And yes, it's an astounding single.
    I was under the impression it was actually the work of Barry Blue since both sides were co-written by him and his missus and the vocal is similar to his ace "Papa Do" single on Decca. Think it also appears on his "Hot Shots" greatest hits album.

Leave a comment:

• TOWNY
    replied
    Originally posted by geoff whitfield View Post
    Sorry Col I meant to put that it is sitar , I have googled the label but it only came up with a metal label,John Stapleton said he had a couple of things on the label.
    Some Zel-la info http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...ighlight=zella

Leave a comment:

• modernism
    replied
    Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post
    The Chris Andrews version isn't very interesting
    Originally posted by Bud Peyote View Post
    It's not even the same tune!
    Bud's right you know!

I'm sure the 45 by Chris Andrews isn't that bad either - well, one side of it anyway.... could be wrong though.

Leave a comment:

• Bud Peyote
    replied
    Originally posted by Col Wolfe View Post

It's not even the same tune!

Leave a comment:

• geoff whitfield
    replied
    Originally posted by Col Wolfe
    what style of music is the acetate?

the Zella label mostly put out tea-dance stuff
    Sorry Col I meant to put that it is sitar , I have googled the label but it only came up with a metal label,John Stapleton said he had a couple of things on the label.

Leave a comment:

• geoff whitfield
    replied
    The following from this weekends record fair in Digbeth, record fair the other week at the motor cycle museum and a few in the post box.
    the Art Tatum and Eric Dolphy were real money all the other lps were £! box jobbies
    Was knocked out by the Eric Dolphy when I heard it on Exbury70 superb jazz chart, many thanks for putting me on to this.
    Thad Jones was recommended by mr Piglet n Rolf, excellent lp with a 16min wig out called " central park north"
    the lp below Scott Walker is by Richard Harvey commissoned by ICL TITLED "A NEW WAY OF SEEING" mooginess but on first listen not too keen on it.
    Joan Reagan - one word - shite

Karmello Brooks - tell me baby - wow one of my all time fave northern title.
    USA original goes for silly money

a couple of good fun jingles on the jingle single
    the acetate has 3 tracks on it and it's pretty good i can't read the surname fully but the first name is Ashiq

Leave a comment:

• Col Wolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
    Ipsissimus on Parlophone. Not a patch on the one you've got there though.
    Rupert's People always get overlooked because it's quite common but it really is the best version

I really like the whacked-out Ipsissimus too but it does lose momentum whereas Rupert's People is pretty much perfect

The Texan soul one is mad funky but not in the same genre so no point comparing
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 02-11-2009, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jakartajive
    replied
    Originally posted by Mang View Post
    Winston "Mona"/"Rocerdile" - Never seen this one in a promo (?) pic sleeve before. Anyway it's a fantastic everything but the kitchen sink production/odd 70s pop thingy.
    Just the generic Bradley's label-specific promo sleeve, though?
    Or something else?

All the Bradley's 45s I have have the same sleeve.

Mona is astounding, though, no?
    Totally demented production - and very outre lyrics about giving dogs boners!

Anyone heard their later 45?

Leave a comment:

• Mang
    replied
    After a nightmare 3 hour journey to Brighton I finally hit the fair at 3! Still managed to pick up a fair bit of stuff. The guy with the post-punk stuff mentioned in Carlitos thread in the natter section had the best selection of records I've seen in an age.
    Picked up the following. All 45s were a quid except for the Small Wonder/Stepping Talk/Nick Nicely/Thick Pigeon singles.

Blendells "La La La La La" - Garagey stomper. Italian press in pic sleeve
    Regents "Barbara Ann" - UK OG. Couldn't resist for a quid.
    Bobby Day "Rockin' Robin" - ditto.
    Ronny And The Daytonas "Sandy" - Not one of their best. UK demo though.
    Simon Dupree "Day Time, Night Time" - as above!
    Brotherhood "Paper Man" - so-so Keith Roberts production. Kinda Harmony Grass-ish.
    Morgan James "Daydreamer" - Another so-so harmony thing.
    Almond Marzipan "Summer Love" - great rewrite of "Spooky" with lovely flute and Hammond bits.
    Weather "Running Forwards (Out Of Love) - Super! Loving the over driven fuzz guitar on this one. I like!
    TNT "Big Trouble Pts. 1&2" - funky track spoiled by awful vocal, although the dubbier vocal-less Part 2 has great drums.
    Small Wonder "Ordinary Boy"/"Ride A Black Sheep" - cool Mike "Ning" Berry glam production with outrageous Bolan tribute on B side.
    Winston "Mona"/"Rocerdile" - Never seen this one in a promo (?) pic sleeve before. Anyway it's a fantastic everything but the kitchen sink production/odd 70s pop thingy.
    Stavely Makepeace "No Regrets" - Scrap iron cover of Edith Piaf
    Nick Nicely "DCT Dreams" - minting up
    Black Swan "Echoes And Rainbows" - at last, the full version with long intro.
    Small Faces "Tin Soldier" - at last, the UK picture sleeve.
    Thick Pigeon "Dog" - Ace Belgian (?) post punk lunacy
    Stepping Talk EP - Just comped on the new "Messthetics" - Hippies-gone-new-wave fun.

Also picked up (allegedly) unplayed copies of the two fantastic Antena 12s on Crepescule and two 12 inch EPs by The Lines (another band discovered through the Messthetics comps)...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X