• Show
Clear All

• Utrecht roll call 21-22 november 2009 "The Finds"

Only went on Saturday, my objective was:

* Try not to burn all my money, so no large expenditure on records
    * Try to find things from my want list
    * Records in an excellent condition
    * Meet some board members

Today after enjoying the records from my listening chair I look back on a great day. Good finds, nice chat, drinks and listening to records back in the hotel with some very friendly board members.

Went to one flea market this morning which added two records so total this weekend is 24

Close up!

Ramsey Lewis Sun Goddess ... Common record, but a great one! Beautiful set of funky electric piano tracks with tight rhythm grooves
    Soundtrack They Came to Rob Las Vegas ... Blaring horns, big band jazz, electric guitar, groovy beats and orchestral moods to make this a fantastic 60's soundtrack to the cult crime-thriller and was a gift from a friend to me
    The Chaquito Big Band Spies and dolls ... Follow up to "TV Thrillers", great exploitation record of 60's crime OST's
    Carlos Garnett Black Love ... Soul jazz classic -not commonly know- a super-session, with a lineup that includes Buster Williams, Norman Connors, Charles Sullivan, Mauricio Smith, Reggie Lucas, Billy Hart, Mtume, and Dee Dee Bridgewater. A blend of soul, funk, and jazz! Incredible vibe, spiritual jazz dance
    Hank Crawford Wildflower ... Took me a while to find a clean copy of this one, thought it was a common one, hard to find for me
    Mongo Santamaria Afro Indio ... Minted up my copy, great one, very happy with this clean copy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFcTizUdb-U

Cannonball Adderley Soul Zodiac ... One of the funkiest albums by Cannonball Adderley produced by David Axelrod, and featuring spacey trumpet lines and George Duke's excellent keyboards!
    Wojciech Karolak Easy ... One of the best known Polish Jazz records, great funky vibe on this one
    Dutch Rhythm Steel & Show Band Funky Limbo ... Almost impossible to find Dutch rare record, two great tracks "Funky Limbo" and "Disco Fever"

http://www.dutchraregroove.nl/mp3/20...FunkyLimbo.htm

Eddie Harris & Les McCann Second Movement ... Do I have to tell? Classic one
    Sountrack The Man from U.N.C.L.E ... Original UK Mono for ten euro, couldn't leave it behind
    Rasputin Stash Devil Made Me Do It ... A stone cold killer from the 70's. Rasputin Stash made other records that had more of a rock feel, but this one is funky

Cannonball Adderley Love, Sex and the Zodiac ... Again great stuff! The formula is similar to the 2 LP Zodiac set Cannonball did for Capitol. This one is also with David Axelrod producing
    Herbie Mann Our Mann Flute ... Some nice funky flute tunes on this one, was cheap, meanly took it for the cover
    David Lloyd Sounds for a Secret Agent ... One to add to the Bond collection
    Jon Klemmer Fresh Feathers ... Funky set of tracks in which Klemmer plays mainly electric
    Henry Mancini The Cop Show Themes ... Long, long, long time want. Funkiest album ever from Henry Mancini. Great reworks of 70s cop show themes, jazzy groove!
    Sonny Stitt Satan ... Cheap one, and it sounds like that, great cover

Fred & the New J.B.'s Breaking Bread ... Super clean UK copy of this classic
    Kenny Cox Introducing ... IMO overlooked late 60s Jazzgroup on Blue Note, they made two albums, found them both last month
    Charles Lloyd Moon Man ... Not what I expected, not a typical jazz album but a set of space jazz, folk and Psych
    Johnny Hammond The Prophet ... Very clean copy of a common record but funky to the bone

The two Flea Finds

Outsiders ST ... Rare Dutch Freakbeat / Garageband, the vinyl looks unscratched, has a typical blur, but sounds excellent
    Private Jazz Compilation Live in Quibus ... Outstanding vocal version of "Summertime"

So with this 125 pieces stack of records I found/kept in the last 3 months, I will probably not be seen in the new finds section until next year.

Last edited by Kratgraver; 22-11-2009, 08:00 PM.
    My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Originally posted by Kratgraver View Post
    Only went on Saturday, my objective was:

* Try not to burn all my money, so no large expenditure on records
    * Try to find things from my want list
    * Records in an excellent condition
    * Meet some board members

Today after enjoying the records from my listening chair I look back on a great day. Good finds, nice chat, drinks and listening to records back in the hotel with some very friendly board members.

Congratulations! I'm already looking forward to April!!
    Last edited by Sie Vulture; 22-11-2009, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
      Congratulations! I'm already looking forward to April!!
      Yes me too, but first this one!

http://www.recordplanet.nl/index.php...latenbeurs-rai
      My Statigram account ...

Comment

What's this one like?

Feel like I really should try to do one in the 'Dam at some point and plug a few gaping holes in my Dutch Beat collection.
        To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

@ crate digger it was great to meet you, hope your enjoying your finds mate.
          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
            Indeed it was. Very nice to meet you and congrats on the great buys.

I'm having a horrible moment of thinking I saw that Dutch Steel Band LP yesterday for cheap but I might be just thinking of your copy from the Saturday night listening session. That half lager obviously affected my memory

I'm just listening and cleaning at the moment but I'll get the records posted at some point.
            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
              I'm having a horrible moment of thinking I saw that Dutch Steel Band LP yesterday for cheap but I might be just thinking of your copy from the Saturday night listening session. That half lager obviously affected my memory
              I did even worse Nige - I actually had that very copy of that LP in my hands and put it back as I thought it was a repackaging of the Calendar Song LP
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                I did even worse Nige - I actually had that very copy of that LP in my hands and put it back as I thought it was a repackaging of the Calendar Song LP
                Yeah that's weird it's got the same sleeve.

www.45cat.com
                http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Are we talking about the Dutch Steel record that Kratgraver turned up in Utrecht or the other (better) one with Down by the River and Funky Stuff on it?

For those interested, I'm getting a spare copy of this soon hopefully. So let me know if anyone wants to trade.

Comment

Originally posted by highland cow View Post
                    Yeah that's weird it's got the same sleeve.

January, February aka Calender song is on this one!

Originally posted by markie View Post
                    Are we talking about the Dutch Steel record that Kratgraver turned up in Utrecht or the other (better) one with Down by the River and Funky Stuff on it?
                    That's a great one, sounding very different, got a more raw Funk Rock feel to it

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                    What's this one like?

Feel like I really should try to do one in the 'Dam at some point and plug a few gaping holes in my Dutch Beat collection.

It's great, but nothing compared to Utrecht fair, around 150 dealers. Found some great records last time.

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21718
                    My Statigram account ...

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                      Indeed it was. Very nice to meet you and congrats on the great buys.
                      Same here guys, and yes I'm enjoying them. But you guys also did some pretty decent finds. Hope to see some postings soon.
                      My Statigram account ...

Comment

Here's my Utrecht

Friday morning, cold taxi, here's the departure lounge at 4:30am

Walk out of the train station eventually and preparations for Xmas are under way

Spring in my step as I spot the Jaabeurs buliding

find Craig and Nige - they've had a 3 hour headstart!

stay in the hall until about 6ish and then it's Falafel / burgert time and all back to the hotel

7:30 start on Saturday and break for lunch

Nige in the deep Hip Hop Heat

it's not all records at Utrecht you know - there's plenty of other weirdness to be getting on with

Hurrah - we find more VG+ers!!

A few more hours of record flipping and listening to Jon Savage being interviewed and his superb DJ set - UK sike a gogo

We arrange to leave and get a drink - we pass the MJ display

and the unfunky drummer!!

let the nerdage commence!

The Hip Hop chat goes over my head

Final day - a later start (8:30) so it's actually light outside my hotel for the first time!

the beatles as the B&W minstrels?

THis is the plush smoking area

Random hall shots

As Craig said - Outsider art Outsiders

The HEAT!

It's all over we're off to Schipol - Craig says a tearful goodbye to the Falafel guys

and lords it up in Schipol

Then it's a sad farewell and it's all over until next year

Obligatory walls of records shots:

Finds coming up shortly.
                        Last edited by LDJB; 24-11-2009, 03:31 PM.
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Hope to see some postings soon.
                          Here you go fella

Like Lee said records are getting increasingly expensive at the fair so a lot of time has to be spent to hit upon the bargains, which can still be found as proven by Kratgraver. The usual mix for me ie a few treats at proper money, a few wants at decent prices and a few cheap punts. Would have liked to buy more US psych but the prices are becoming too prohibited. Another large batch of hip hop cheapies and non-rares but don't think these were 1 or 2 euro each. Unfortunately even the hip hop stuff was on average 7 euro and I bought 5 or 6 pricer pieces.

Lots of records pondered over but eventually left due to cost or weight restrictions. Quite difficult to leave records at cheap prices when you really want to buy them. I’m gonna post stuff home next time! (I even returned with a 100 euro due to thinking I was pushing my weight limit to close for comfort).

Sorry, limited info. Feel free to ask about any titles in full:

The Grodeck Whipperjenny –S/T (People) Funky psych from JB producer. The reissue can now be removed from the collection.

Spleen – The Sound Of Feeling (Limelight) The Free design on LSD?

The Purposes – The Purpose Of…(ABC) Funky bluesy psych.

Wild Thing – Partyin’ (Elektra) Groovy hammond exploito rock with some great covers.

Harpers Bizarre – 4 (Warners) Their most rated by the VG guys but I've yet to listen.

Danny McCulloch – Wings Of A Man (Capitol) Former Animals bass player. Late 60’s mature pop and no psych but only needle dropped so far.

Cher – 3614 Jackson Highway (Atco) Took me 15 years to find this in the ‘wild’ (refused to rely on the net). Covers of For What Its Worth and Walk On Guilded Splinters.

Curt Boetcher – There’s An Innocent Face (Elektra) Cheapy and been intrigued to hear this for a long time for obvious soft psych previous work although I don’t hold much hope on this 73 effort.

Paul Williams – Someday Man (Reprise) This was mentioned in a soft psych article many years ago. Can’t imagine it ticks those boxes but Mr W knows how to write a good pop song so shouldn’t be a waste of 5 euro.

Robert Charlebois/Louise Forestier – S/T (Gamma) A Mr Sayers recommendation. California is great French pop.

Idris Muhammad – Power Of Soul (Kudu) Wanted this forever. Nice to finally find it for 5 euro…cheers Craig.

Reuben Howell – S/T (Motown) Was well happy to find this for 10 euro early on Fri but less than an hour later I found another copy for the same price, which was to Mr Sayers advantage. Basically a vocal version of Scratchin’ by the Magic Disco Machine.

Susan Sings Songs From Sesame Street (Scepter) Pulled by Lee (cheers mate) for 1 euro (sleeve issues). Funky soul for the kids.

The Age Of Electronicus (Command) A token moog purchase but a funky good one.

Nico Gomez – Ritual (Omega) No comment required

Michel Polnareff – Polnareff’s (AZ) Hadn’t found this on my previous 2 Utrecht visits and wouldn’t have again if Lee hadn’t found it for me. Groovy French cinematic pop of course.

Chicken Curry & His Pop Percussion Orchestra (MFP) I rely on Lee and Craig to recommend this type of stuff to me as I’m clueless.

Johnny Hallyday (Philips) My mate got this in the mid 90’s and I’ve wanted it since but never bothered to try online. Last Small Faces group performances and track compositions of course.

Helmuth Brandenburg – Big Band Beat (BASF) Funky German big band that was on my wantslist prior to going.

Odyssey – S/T (Rare Earth) Well known round these parts. Nice cheap Dutch copy. NB Sorry for the confusion Sie Fly….lost in translation with Craig.

Noir – We Had To Let You Have It (Pye) French copy for a good price. I was ready to flick past this had Sayers not stopped me (record blindness yet again!). Cheers dude! Funky black rock with a cover of Indian Rope Man.

T.N.T.H. – Let’s Go Children Of The Country (Barclay) I mulled over several pricer bits on Sunday afternoon but this eventually won over. Funky horn rock I guess with prog leanings.

Billy Paul – Going East (CBS) Reasonably priced Dutch copy of this soul classic.

Dusty Springfield – Cameo (Philips) The most purchased LP on VG+ recently following Towny’s recommendation? Completes my Dusty collection either way.

Bill Cosby – Hooray For The Salvation Army Band (Warners) Poor pic on this German press compared to the US press but for 5 euro one can’t be too fussy. This kills me about Utrecht. Decent but arguably non-essential LP’s for cheap that I would love finding at home but which I question purchasing whilst at a European record fair.

The Shock Absorbers – Guitar Party (Major Minor) To replace my hammered copy. VG+ fave of course.

Louie Bellson – The Dynamic Drums Of…(Studio 2) Hadn’t seen this until Lee recently passed a copy Sayers way. VG+ friendly version of Ode To Billy Joe and others.

Maxwell Plumm – We Can Work It Out (Raven) Shame I had to take a plane journey to find a VG+/Working Mans Soul track/charity shop track (and pay 10 euro for the pleasure)!

The Magnetic Sounds (New Records) Brazilian easy comp with one killer fuzzy moog track….Lost In Space. I should have played this to Lee and Craig…they’d like.

Danny Edwardson/Seamus Sell – Rock On (KPM) Heavy guitar library which just occasionally slips into shredding mode but also has some good slow funky rock tracks.

Modern Rhythms With Synthesiser (Amphonic Music) One more cheap token library purchase. Freak Out is the track.

Hip Hop:

Louie Louie – Deadlier Than Ever (Tuff City) Instrumentals with 45 King involvement but one killer rap track.

True Love – I’m Bustin’ Out (Critique) Awful LP from 88 but one great track which I'd intended to get for sometime.

Ice T – Somebody Gotta Do It/Our Most Requested Record (Sire) Wanted this since John Peel played the b side. Great stuff.

Doug E Fresh & The Get Fresh Crew – D.E.F. = Doug E Fresh/I’m Getting’ Ready/On The Strength (Reality) From his second LP which is one of my fave hip hop LP’s.

Big Daddy Kane – Get Into It/Somethin’ Funky/Just Rhymin’ With Biz (Prism) Kane’s first release and one of his best. I already own it but thought it would be good trade material but condition is poor on closer inspection.

Tuff Crew – My Part Of Town/Detonator (Soo Deff) Every real B Boy loves the Tuff Crew and this is why.

Silky B – I’m Dangerous (Epod) More costly late 80’s indie purchase from DJ Friendly which I’ve pondered buying for a while. Fast Philly rap with Assembly Line breaks…can’t go wrong!

Roxanne Shante’ – Brothers Ain’t Sh*t (Cold Chillin) Large Professor & Kool G Rap produced track from 1990.

Devastor – Devastion (G Fine Sounds) Nice JB sampled track from 87.

Cut Master DC – Brooklyn Rocks The Best/Santa’s Beat Box (Zakia) Classic NY rap from 86.

Kid ‘N Play – Last Night (Select) Don’t scoff…this is a dope tune. Wanted a cheap US copy forever.

2 Live Crew – Trow The D. And Ghetto Bass (Luke Skywalker) Could have sworn I didn’t have this one but I do (a US promo which threw me). Hey ho!

King Sun & D Moet – Hey Love/Mythological Rapper (Zakia) Another US press I’ve wanted for cheap. Good b side not on UK press.

12:41 – Success Is The Word (Fresh Records) KRS One’s lyrical debut I believe. Of it’s time but for those of who grew up on Electro comps a classic.

Cybotron – Clear/Industrial Lies (Fantasy) Sayers would have killed me if I hadn’t bought this electro classic.

Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five – Scorpio (Sugarhill) It pained me greatly to leave 3 other GF & TFF US 12’s (want all their releases on US press) but weight issues yet again won over. I’ll post this stuff home next time I buy a batch of cheap rap. Nice promo of this electro classic.

West Street Mob – Break Dance-Electric Boogie (Sugarhill) Had to get this promo US press to replace my UK copy. Still sounds timeless.

Rock Master Scott & The Dynamic Three – The Roof Is On Fire (Reality) Shamed to say I’ve never owned this electro classic. I think I had 4 copies to choose from on the same stall….oh, to see a hip hop stall like this at Newcastle.

Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force – Planet Rock (Tommy Boy) Felt only right that I should own an original orange label press of this all time classic. A bit worn but plays fine although I’ll still keep my later Tommy Boy press.
                          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Great pics Lee.

You were busy with the camera....surprised you had enough time to find any records

I could swear that steel band LP/sleeve was on the stall where you got your Nancy Priddy?

Comment

Spleen – The Sound Of Feeling (Limelight) The Free design on LSD?
                              quadraphonic too

'good to read the trawls & hauls. great finds.
                              collecting records taught me everything i never needed to know

soundtracks from collaborative projects :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X