New year 2010, the weekend finds 2-3 januari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New year 2010, the weekend finds 2-3 januari

Finds of this morning flea market, maximum 2 euro each, except the Don Cherry which was a shop find.

Don Cherry Hear & Now ... spiritual, electric and funky
    Barrabas Power ... Second one, still tasty as their d├ębut album
    Billy Preston Most Exciting Organ Ever ... Raw R&B Organ Grooves
    Mark Soskin Rhythm Vision ... Late Prestige record, smooth funk, enjoyable grooves with Bennie Maupin on Sax. Nice version of "Walk Tall"
    Gong Gazeuze ... Breaks 4 Dazes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKvglDzBU4

Steve Marcus Sometime Other Than Now ... Fusion album on Flying Dutchman, Guitar played by Steve Khan

Secrect Affair Glory Boys ... New Wave
    Mick Ness Leave Me Your Ears ... Experimental dark Dutch New Wave
    Hawkwind Doremi Fasol Latido ... Space rock
    Billy Preston That's The Way God Planned it ... Not listened yet, I don't expect to much of this Apple/George Harrison production
    Gorillaz Demon Days ... Very pleased to find this record, bought the cd a few years ago, two euro in mint condition
    Francoise Hardy ST ... Ductch Compilation
    My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

I'd hoped to post some finds last year, after signing up, but apart from the odd bit here and there it was quite a dry year. 2010 got off to a promising start though.

A house call netted over a 100 LP's, cheap. About half are off to the nearest charity but there were some mildly interest picks. Mostly early 70s rock

Most interesting was a selection of Reggae and Dub albums, an area of which I know nothing at all......Popsike tells me some might be interesting though

http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
    www.the-onyx.co.uk
    www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

Nice finds mate - what's that 'BEDLAM' like?
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
        Nice finds mate - what's that 'BEDLAM' like?
        Had a quick needle drop and is fairly routine early 70s rock, with Cozy Powell pounding away. Worth a proper listen though I'd say.
        www.the-onyx.co.uk
        www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

Bedlam is an awful lp IMO - nice break on it though
          www.raysmith.bz

www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

Comment

i remember quite liking the track with the DJ Shadow-sounding break on (last track??) -- didn't save the LP from getting moved on yeas ago though...
            Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Nice finds. 2x Hawkind
              "Time we left this world today"
              I'm having this played at my funeral
              Last edited by BeatsDeluxe; 03-01-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

what's that to the right of Between the Buttons?
                Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

That's Sky, or US Sky. American band who released two LP's on RCA. Not listened yet (they all need a good clean......). Supposedly Stonsey rock.

The haul also included Billy Cobham 'Crosswinds' and a couple of Osibisa LP's. Are these worth keeping?
                  www.the-onyx.co.uk
                  www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

!

Had an unexpectedly good outing yesterday - returning to the roost with a clutch of tasty 45's, a couple of decent LP's, and a stack of chazza dross to pad out my Discogs stock. . . (!)

45's

Most from the collection of an old northern soul DJ, allegedly. . .

Naturals - make it move / don't just stand there - tasty northern soul raer double header

Wynder K Frog - green door / dancing frog - battered, but playable

Mood mosaic - a touch of velvet / bond street PM - another fairly knackered looking but wicked 45 - flip is superb loungey instro with Vic Flick's twang all over it

Andre Brasseur - the kid / holiday - good organ instro

Barbara Acklin - am I the same girl (soulful strut) / love makes a woman - catchy vocal version of classic choon

Steel Mill - green eyed god / zangwill - interesting Schroeder produced 'eavy prog / jazzrock; B side verges on full on Hobbit-prog, but is in fact rather good. Wallace would approve.

Erma Franklin - Big boss man / another piece of my heart - later pressing of this nice version.

Bill Mason Band - Out on the streets / Mr G - chaz punt - surprisingly good new wave / power-pop on Xtian label!

Willie Mitchell- Everything is gonna be alright / that driving beat - superb uptempo soul stormer . . .

Sounds Inc - William Tell / Bullets - nice flip

Naafi Sandwich - Slice 1 / slice 2 - another speculative punt from the chaz-and a good one. Rareish Liverpudlian post-punk weirdness.

Wayne Fontana - Waiting for a break in the clouds - - thanks for clueing me up on this chaps - it was cheap - and it's also bloody great

Betty Davis - shut off the lights / he was a big freak - excellent rocky funk.

Otis redding - papa's got a brand new bag / direct me - great JB cover.

Token rubbish freebie:

Giorgio - Looky Looky / Happy Birthday - NOT Mr Moroder's finest hour (!)

Best of the LPs. . .

Zzebra - ST - been after this for a while - interesting UK fusion / afrojazzrock ensemble - though the best cuts are on the B sides of the singles (Mr J & Amusofi. . . !)

ACR - Sextet - postpunkfunk ahoy. . .

Coryell ST - Larry's 2nd LP - some furious fuzz here.

Jimi Endrix - IOW - cheap reisshoo.

Three Johns - Stomic Drum Bop - more postpunk cheapness.

Tublatanka - dodgy Czech new wave - hard to resist for 99p

Titanic - Metal Celebraton - fairly entertaining Czech hair metal from 1989. Realised I'd probably never see this again, though I'm not sure I should rightfully want to. .. !

Stranglers - No More Heroes - should be a goodie.

Foster Sylvers ST - nice funky soul prod. by Michael Vner, repress.

Other interesting oddities undepicted:

Hurricane Smith - Razzmahtazz Shall Inherit The Earth - one tracker, but a nice track - "Right Arm Sam" - which got the funk.

Bob Kuban & The In Men - decent garage / soul covers, sleeveless but plays. . .

Mood: chuffed
                    Last edited by Viva Chiba; 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rprest View Post
                      That's Sky, or US Sky. American band who released two LP's on RCA. Not listened yet (they all need a good clean......). Supposedly Stonsey rock.

The haul also included Billy Cobham 'Crosswinds' and a couple of Osibisa LP's. Are these worth keeping?
                      Thanks

The Cobham's good IIRC.
                      Osibisa - I have three LPs by them, and i can't remember much about any of them. Sorry.....
                      Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Originally posted by rprest View Post

billy cobham: quiet good for being a cobham album. remember the first track being quiet cool. rhodes and alto driven deep nu-jazz like instrumental piece.

osibisia: their first couple of albums all have some allright - cool stuff on them. but don't epxect something that blows your mind. its average, really. afro inspired funk goes discoish pop or so. sounds more interesting than it is
                        Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba View Post
                          Really love that Certain Ratio Sextet, one of my favorite new wave records

Good catch
                          My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Kratgraver View Post
                            Really love that Certain Ratio Sextet, one of my favorite new wave records

Good catch
                            A record I need to dig out, and give another spin.
                            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by Kratgraver View Post
                              Don Cherry Hear & Now ... spiritual, electric and funky
                              I really rate this record, Universal Mother is great, one that grew on me as I was not initially impressed.
                              You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Working...
                              X