Bombay the hard way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombay the hard way

I keep trying to find time to do some proper sleeve pics to go with this post, but I haven't so far and it's nearly February, so here it is with a sub-standard photo. Sorry!

Right, here goes.
    Me and the ladyfriend got back from South India earlier this month and I thought it only polite that I should offer up something to the board, seeing as I mined VG+ for information regarding Indian records and Mumbai digging beforehand. In particular I found Sie's Mumbai finds thread and his digger's thread knowledge handy, so cheers Sie. Also, thanks to Pencilface who made me an ace shopping list with geeky links sleeve photos.

So anyway, we'd thought it was a good idea to get a flight from Heathrow at 10pm to Mumbai via Bahrain then, rather than stay in Mumbai overnight, get an overnight train straight down to Goa. This would have been fine if I was able to sleep on planes or trains at all. I'm not, so I ended up not getting any sleep till I passed out on the floor outside our hut at about 3pm on the 29th. We stayed on Palolem beach, which is pretty touristy, but luckily had found a place tucked out of the way where, if the tide was up, you had to wade to get to. No records, as expected, but lots of sun and warm sea to swim in. The missus got some tat to offload on friends as presents and I got a lighter with a palm tree on it and some genuine 'Rey-Ben' sunglasses, which just about lasted until sunset before falling apart. Also we saw monkeys, eagles, kingfishers, lizards, dolphins and loads of cows.

After a relaxing stay at the beach, we commenced our journey down to Cochin in Kerala via Gokarna, Murdeshwar and Mangalore. Murdeshwar is notable for having a rather large statue of Shiva, which was pretty much within spitting distance of our hotel room (no, I didn't spit on any statues of religious significance. My atheism is of the non-aggressive kind). I managed to score a nice genuine 'Gasio' watch in Mangalore for the equivalent of about a quid and a half.

I wasn't really expecting to find any records in Cochin, but I noticed a chap with a bric-a-brac stall fixing a record player and my girlfriend suggested I ask him if he had any. He did, as it happens, so I relieved him of a few. Nothing amazing and they were pretty much all trashed. Some of the even had full on, 3-dimensional fungus on them.

We only had one-and-a-bit days in Mumbai, so I wasn't expecting to find much. I had a nose in Rhythm House which seemed great, although it's lack of vinyl and our lack of time meant I didn't really give it a proper look. We wandered round the crawford market area, which is near where we were staying, which was crazily busy. On our way to find a decent restaurant, we happened to stumble upon a stall where a lovely chap by the name of Abdul was selling his record collection off. He had a fair bit of stuff of varying condition so I did my best to cherrypick without really knowing much about what I was looking at! He had a lot of R and S D Burman, including a Hare Krishna Hare Rama in ok condition, which was about the only thing there that I had on my list. Funnily enough, we watched a bit of telly in the hotel that evening and there was a 'retro' channel showing dance scene clips from old movies including a brilliant scene from Caravan.

Anyway, enough waffle. Here is most of what I picked up (i left out the 7s) I don't really know what I payed for each record as I haggled a bit and got him to give me a price for the whole lot. Probably didn't pay more than R100 a record. One of the conditions of him knocking a bit off the price was that I tell everyone about him, so here's a picture of his card, too.

Hope this post wasn't too tiresome!
    "Jumping cues and making haste just ain't my cup of meat"

www.alexd.co.uk

Well done fella!
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Neat - but what is an original sai baba photo and did you buy one?
      "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
      and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
        Neat - but what is an original sai baba photo and did you buy one?
        Sai Baba is a guru, allegedly born of immaculate conception!

Sadly I didn't buy one

www.alexd.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by awesomewelles View Post
          Sai Baba is a guru, allegedly born of immaculate conception!

Sadly I didn't buy one
          OK - thanks for the explanation. I was a bit intrigued because 33s, 45s, 78s, cassettes and CDs are quite similar products, but then he added something incomprehensible (for me) so I just wanted to know...
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Nice story and nice finds. Hare Krishna is my only Bollywood record but a great one.

I heard they used to recycle unsold records in India.

Comment

What's the deal with the Don soundtrack? The film has loads of great funky incidental music. Does the soundtrack have any of that or is it just the songs? I'm assuming Yeh Mera Dil's on there at least?Anything beyond the with teh funk.

Great thread though. Great pics/read.

Comment

Originally posted by Blighty View Post

What's the deal with the Don soundtrack? The film has loads of great funky incidental music. Does the soundtrack have any of that or is it just the songs? I'm assuming Yeh Mera Dil's on there at least?Anything beyond the with teh funk.

Great thread though. Great pics/read.
                Sadly they chose to release the Don soundtrack as a 45rpm 5-tracker, without the awesome incidental music! Yeh Mera Dil is on there, but to my ears it's the only good track on there.

www.alexd.co.uk

Comment

Sadly they chose to release the Don soundtrack as a 45rpm 5-tracker, without the awesome incidental music! Yeh Mera Dil is on there, but to my ears it's the only good track on there.
                  That's disappointing. Pretty standard for Bollywood I suppose. Cheers for the info.

Comment

Nice purchases , love that Shaan album and Don always fetches top money if only for one of the best covers ever

Yeah often the incidental music is the best stuff , Naushad has done a few albums of incidental backgorund music only , well worth picking up
                    Also the classic back score for Soul of Bobby , I've got that rec of the incidental stuff from Don , superb should have all been on the album, would have doubled its value

Comment

Originally posted by reza View Post
                      well worth picking up
                      Also the classic back score for Soul of Bobby , I've got that rec of the incidental stuff from Don , superb should have all been on the album, would have doubled its value
                      Yeah wah wah and fast tabla works suprisingly well in that film. They had it on Tele when I was in Rajastan.

I passed on that Soul of Bobby LP when in Delhi because he wanted about 50 quid for it, but it sounded fantastic. I have had an ebay saved search and gemm wants list for it for the last 19 months and it has never come up. Oh well one day!
                      My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Moogaloo View Post
                        Yeah wah wah and fast tabla works suprisingly well in that film. They had it on Tele when I was in Rajastan.

I passed on that Soul of Bobby LP when in Delhi because he wanted about 50 quid for it, but it sounded fantastic. I have had an ebay saved search and gemm wants list for it for the last 19 months and it has never come up. Oh well one day!

You obviously havn't been checking the trades posts

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27649

should of snapped it up at £50 .. bargain, last one I noticed on ebay.nl buy it now 100 euro sold on first day
                        Last edited by reza; 30-06-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X