Finds March

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finds March

Yesterday I bought Pat Williams Treshold, a record I knew nothing about. Turned out to be good big band jazzfunk or something. Nice flutework and stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAFbgt8HJlI
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Not had any spare funds for ages but started off buying again this week with a purchase of Leyland's finest thrashers classic cut of Ghostbusters with both the normal (right) and deleted (left) sleeves for a lot less than the £30 they have been going for lately

Not a huge VG+ staple but home town hero's
    Last edited by Kaituna95; 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM. Reason: Link to image

Comment

Pleasant euro-bin 80s jazz surprise from the other day, Harvie Swartz - Underneath it all

Comment

Originally posted by BeatsDeluxe View Post
        Pleasant euro-bin 80s jazz surprise from the other day, Harvie Swartz - Underneath it all
        gosh, what a familiar looking sleeve....

Comment

Originally posted by BeatsDeluxe View Post
          I have a sampler with 'Rainbow' from that LP which i really like
          SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Yes almost a rip-off, only he switched the face for a fish

I like "rainbow", but the track that gets me is "Beauty within the beast". Haven't gotten further than those two yet as side one's been on repeat
            What's the comp? More similar stuff/recommendations?

Comment

Picked up a pretty good soul compilation on the strength of it having a cover of my favourite Elton John track (Bad Side of The Moon) and also arrangements by Barbara Moore. It's Silver Soul Volume 1 on DJM, 1970.

Anyway the artists featured are: Birds Of A Feather (they have the arrangements by Barbara Moore), Una Valli, The Flames (both from South Africa) and The Chants and Pic & Bill (UK I think)..... Good solid covers of classics and a few originals.

I've found out a little about the artists but anyone know anything else? I'm no expert on soul artists
              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Flames got a Beach Boys connection :
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Fataar
                Been half tempted to buy the albums but never got round to it !!
                Pic and Bill got mentioned on here by Hugh i think
                Chants became the real thing - scouse soul crew !!
                Rockwell
                Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                  Flames got a Beach Boys connection :
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Fataar
                  Been half tempted to buy the albums but never got round to it !!
                  Pic and Bill got mentioned on here by Hugh i think
                  Chants became the real thing - scouse soul crew !!
                  Thanks - I do love a bit of context

Also picked up a copy of RD Burman's Dum Maro Dum / I love you EP 45 for the grand total of 50p..... don't really expect to find that kind of stuff in charity shops around here! Its a great couple of tracks that are new to me.

Another single caught my eye - loved the cover - Ricchi e Poveri - Rischiatutto. 2 tracks from what I suspect is an Italian children's TV show. Il Fantasma is rather charming - in a Bacharach kind of way!

Il Fantasma
                  Last edited by pitch; 03-03-2010, 12:38 AM.

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Rischiatutto is an Italian game show of some description - is this the theme tune that's on the 45? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI2P4jA780c

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
                      Rischiatutto is an Italian game show of some description - is this the theme tune that's on the 45? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI2P4jA780c
                      I wish

No - both vocal things by 'Ricchi e Poveri' - don't know their connection to the show....

Comment

Philidelphia Record exchange big Dyke Folk Jamboree

Spent the last two days In Philadelphia and between seeing the Liberty Bell and soaking up the great permanent collection of the Museum of art managed to spend an hour down South Street (in the record district, according to the where to go go and what to see guide)

Philly Record Exchange was the first port of call, where the proprietor informed me "the founder of Olivia records brought a lot of the label's overstock)

So sealed copies of the following for about a dollar a piece

Cris Williamson The Changer and the Change Olivia 1975 (second press)
                        I recently posted this up on the bins section because Waterfall was the basis for an RJD2 track. Must say its a solid listen throughout with banjo work from Grey Today scribe Woody Simmons on one track too.

Lavender Jane Loves Women Woman Wax Works 1974
                        Great private press looking album with Kay Gardner amongst the ranks. Apparently the soundtrack to Roll Over (must IMDB that one, can't say i'm familiar with that gem) Great floaty SSW folk with nice flute flourishes from Gardner

Cris Williamson
                        ST Olivia Repress 1981
                        Her first album on Ampex from 1970, with a mouthwatering array of session men. (Chuck Rainey, Grady Tate, Kermit Moore, Eric Gale ect) Knew it from the J Dilla sample but a consistent Psych lite folk album with some up tempo dancers.

Holly Near
                        Hang In There Redwood Records 1973
                        Debut album that has a mellow feel despite the heavy subject matter she deals with . Great art work too

Kristin Lems Oh Mama ! Carolsdatter Productions 1978
                        Yet to listen too it, but Moog, Flute and Arp make it an interesting addition.

And some other bits , all less than $8

Linda Hopkins
                        ST RCA 1972
                        An upbeat Showtunes soul album . Great voice but over done somewhat. Bob James and Wade Marcus arrangements for Shake a hand and Its my Beat make it a keeper

Bobbi Humphrey
                        Satin Doll Blue Note 1974
                        No Introduction needed , quality flute jazz from the Mitzell rnks

Donny Hathaway Extensions of a man Atco 1973
                        My first Donny album in the wild. Great tracks .... The Slums is my favorite, a great slab of conscious funk

Eric Andersen Tin Can Alley Vanguard 1868
                        Over orchestrated on my first listen. May be a grower.

Women Folk Man o Man RCA 1966
                        Heard Their take on A times they are a changing on a Mix CD a while back, hoping for a similar vibe.

Dick Grove Improvisational Course Volume IV (Modal Improvisation) 1976
                        Open 4/4 drum breaks, thats all.

Lalo Schifrin The Cinccinati Kid MGM 1965

Les McCann Bucket o' Grease Limelight 1966
                        Origianl press for $2 . Great song choices with a latin flavour. Meaty drums too

Lets hope for more Black Gold
                        sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Last couple days:

Central Line: Walking into sunshine 7" - happy boogie

CPO: This beat is funky/The movement 12" - G-funk from 1990

Robin Kenyatta: Gypsy man LP

DA Rock: Blow your whistle b/w Cutfather & Cruz: You know what I'm saying 12" - Early Danish rap b/w cut n paste mix

Grandmaster Flash: Magic carpet ride b/w Back in the old days of Hiphop 12" - b-side only!

Svante Thuresen: Du ser en man - Swedish singer-songwriter/folk/pop with 1-2 decent soul covers

Shalamar: Three for love LP - incl. This is for the lover in you, I can't resist...

Gold Money: A day in the life of a player LP - Digital Underground off-spring from 1992

Comment

Read here for more info on the Flames then you really want!!!

http://www.the-flames.com/

Soulfire is quite good in my view - if a little derivitive
                            "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post

Lavender Jane Loves Women Woman Wax Works 1974
                              Great private press looking album with Kay Gardner amongst the ranks. Apparently the soundtrack to Roll Over (must IMDB that one, can't say i'm familiar with that gem) Great floaty SSW folk with nice flute flourishes from Gardner

Cris Williamson
                              ST Olivia Repress 1981
                              Her first album on Ampex from 1970, with a mouthwatering array of session men. (Chuck Rainey, Grady Tate, Kermit Moore, Eric Gale ect) Knew it from the J Dilla sample but a consistent Psych lite folk album with some up tempo dancers.
                              Really like that Cris Williamson album - think I posted up about it way back when.... but didn't get as much as you from Lavender Jane - think I may have got rid of that one so no chance of a reappraisal! The cover did look great though, I recall.

Comment

Working...
                              X