No announcement yet.

Finds - May 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, another day of watching these threads grow with my head in my hands while mumbling 'you lucky, lucky bastards.'

so just to perk myself up a little I snuck off at lunchtime and managed to snare a pristine copy of Ginette Reno's 'Everything I Am' on Parrot Records.

nice full-face cover in a Liza Minelli-kinda way.

it's a glorious day an' all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kratgraver View Post
      Don't know much about metal and prices, I was told by a friend they where rare, lookin' on popsike I see the Possessed album sells around 30$, are there any metal albums which sell for more ???
      yep, loads. i sold a collection of death metal / black metal albums a few months back and the prices were silly.
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
        Enjoy it mate - I like Katamango the most on there I reckon but there's a few nice bits.
        Big fav round my way too.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by TOWNY View Post
          Yeah, really strange old box of records

]
          I love that single ! "....we make E the way you like it/ really like it/E is so easy...." CHORUS "EEEEEEEEEEEE...."
          "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Picked up a couple of bits at a God-fearing charity shop today. Along with Ron Savage's excellent cheesy Freewheelin' LP (see reanimated thread in General Natter), I picked up an album by Georges Moustaki - 'Here's To You' (1972). I see another track made the swap a couple of years ago, but this album is beautiful... what I wondered is does anyone know who sang the female accompaniment through the album? A gorgeous voice - but no credit on the cover. In fact no credit for whoever let rip on the hammond either...... I'll post up a couple of tracks, as they really are worth hearing.

Also freed:

Anton Kirkpatrick - Exotic Journal (guitar dexterity from Scotland, 1985 - rather liking it )
            Omaha Sheriff - Come Hell Or Waters High (great band name , produced by Visconti - for me the stand track is 'Show me the sunshine' - twisted soulful mournful ballad)
            Fanny - Mother's Pride (not up there with first albums, but one great track - their version of Randy Newman's 'Last Night I had A Dream')
            'Non-Dairy Creamer' Warner compilation from 1971 (Brownsville Station doing 'Rumble' is genius)
            Valiant Orchestra - glad to find this eventually and it sure lives up to its reputation!
            Swallow - Out of the Nest (second album I have by them and a few great tracks, reminding me of Peddlers - especially the epic and funky 'Why Am I Treated So Bad' which adds some hard-hitting swamp-rock)
            Last edited by pitch; 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM.
            "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
              Fanny - Mother's Pride (not up there with first albums, but one great track - their version of Randy Newman's 'Last Night I had A Dream')
              I love the Randy Newman track, how does this version compare?
              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Found some stuff today, most notably:

Willie Lindo - Far and Distant (Klik) lp 1976

Willie employs effects pedal on "Darker Shade Of Black" to excellent effect (see what I did there)

Soukous Stars - Gozando

Ace, with the mighty Dally Kimoko on lead guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wFN...aynext_from=ML

Dade Krama - Ancestral Music Of Africa (Akoben) lp 1986

Traditional African sounds played by a band who I'm trying to figure out are UK based Anyway, it's top notch

Abdul Tee Jay's Rokoto - Kanka Kuru (Rogue) lp 1989

Such a sweet sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LOJl...aynext_from=ML
                Last edited by medlar; 06-05-2010, 09:55 AM.
                some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                  I love the Randy Newman track, how does this version compare?
                  If Randy's version is all spooky blues country, then Fanny up the tempo a bit, get a bit more rock, and throw in some atmospherics...... I like both versions, but would probably play out Fanny's and enjoy Randy's at home with a cigar and port.
                  "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

If Randy's version is all spooky blues country, then Fanny up the tempo a bit, get a bit more rock, and throw in some atmospherics...... I like both versions, but would probably play out Fanny's and enjoy Randy's at home with a cigar and port.
                    Thanks, sounds like I best keep my eyes peeled for it then.
                    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
                      What's this, then? Anyone fancy getting a miner's 45 collection together then?
                      On my last swap CD.

The Wyatt track at least so maybe it doesn't count.
                      www.45cat.com
                      http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Give 'Solid Gold' another listen.

They recorded it drunk, with the drummer singing after a drinking session with Todd Rundgren.

It has character.

www.45cat.com
                        http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Hit up a new spot yesterday, 20 crates but no result, except for one that saved the day

Req - Daily beats. Probably shows up all the time in the UK but I've been on the lookout for this one for quite some time
                          Train jam! Making the whole block enjoy this right now
                          Last edited by BeatsDeluxe; 06-05-2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

went away with to Carrlingford for a few days, and managed to find a few bits in the antique shop there as well as hitting the charity in Blackrock village, just outside Dundalk on the way there

LP's

Area Code 615 – s/t (Ploydor) country rock with some nice funky moments, couple of Beatles covers too
                            Dedicated: The Mod Live-Aid Album (The Pheonix) –Live LP not bad this, Mod revival, sound a bit crap, but some quality bands, paid a bit more for this 15eu
                            Al Stewart – Past Present and Future (CBS) –songwriter that’s hung up on Dylan and Lennon, not my thing
                            Talk Talk – Spirt of Eden (Parlaphone) – nice to have a copy of this classic
                            Alzo – s/t (Bell) – thought this might be some nice 12 string folk, but on a quick needle drop it’s not, will have to give a few more listens.

45’s all from charity in Blackrock, all for 50c

Renato Rascel – Renatino el la Conscienza, Italian (??) orchestral pop
                            Picked up a couple Gael Linn 45’s, been increasingly interested in the label and it’s output, picked up some nice bits too.
                            Roy Donnelly – Palabra D’Amor/ Sean Fagan- Neilí Mhicí Óig (Gael Linn) – 2 mellow crooner 50’s style, big American leaning, without the big band, Roy’s being the choice pick.
                            Seosamh Ó hÉanaí – 4 track EP (Gael Linn) – 2 EP’s here both with 4 tracks on them. Seosamh sings in whats known as a sean-nós style, and he’s pretty good at it, his LP’s can hit the 50 mark, loving both these.
                            Nicolas Tóibín -3 track EP (Gael Linn) – more Sean-nós
                            Jean Eddie Cremier – Medio Siglo de Canciones (Belter) orchestral movie score sounding
                            Albert Fry – úr-chnoc chéin mhic cáinte (Gael Linn) liking this a lot too, some real nice guitar playing and his voice is growing on me, features Donal Lunny of Planxty fame.
                            The Jacobites – Like Now (PYE) more Irish fair, but this time phased drums pop-sike beat, oh yeah, best find in a while, their only release, and features members of Skid Row.
                            Donovan- Ricki Ticki Tavi (PYE) it’s all about the b-side, Roots of Oak, top track, might have to turn down my dislike of Donovan a tad if there’s more like this

Comment

decent finds in rural Ireland shocker.

nice skillz.
                              YouTube

Comment

Alzo is pretty nice actually, paid proper money for a copy myself.
                                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                                X