Finds - May 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
    Alzo is pretty nice actually, paid proper money for a copy myself.
    Agreed. Top record, though not as nice as his work with Udine.
    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

will have to take the cloth from ears so and give it another spin

Comment

Originally posted by KESSAKUSHU View Post
        will have to take the cloth from ears so and give it another spin
        Sometimes if a record is not what you expect it to be it can be hard to get into what it actually is.

Agreed re. Aldo & Uzine. Lovely stuff.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

some recent finds - mostly innernet....

Hal Blaine - Beverley drive - sounding like the kinks (am wondering if this is a misprinted single - as I thought this was drums-a-go-go but eh, who cares?)

Eranga&Prianga - Let love live - glammy sri lankan rock! hell yeh

Music and sound effects - Janko nilovic - a 45 version of some of the psyc impressions suite - very tasty

The Bag - Nickles n Dimes - not sure about this yet - was a blind buy, going to sit on it and see if it matures.

Tom Ze - Jimmy renda ze - f*ckin happy to get his as a single, was a nice price too.

Teddy Lasry - Action Printing - probably known here, great artwork, great record from the magma man.

Can - turtles/halleluwah - a spare for trade - heavy single.

MOSTLY MELLOW

Comment

Originally posted by captainwilloughby View Post
            The Bag - Nickles n Dimes - not sure about this yet - was a blind buy, going to sit on it and see if it matures.
            I got their LP from the market a couple of weeks ago, and it's quite a pleasant listen.
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

An overview from tinternet and Wild

After being Burned by Craig Moerer record service for Getting a cheap as chips Sally Eaton on t'bay (We have mis placed it.... yeah right) My frown was turned upside down by the arrivals of these volcano ash cloud delayed gems. (Many of which were BINs natch)

45s

Trashmen Surfin Bird Garrett
              Great song and a nice original too for under $5... A woo mau mau indeed

Crazy Elephant There's A Better Day/Space Buggy Major Minor 1970
              Picked up cheap and the only CE MM single I don't have.... is there a different line up change on this as the Vocalist sounds different (where they a studio band )

Walt Raim And the 21st Century Orchestra
              Feur Elise MTA records
              Now Sound Classic stuff, may well be a grower

Charachas Jungle Fever Polydor (x3)
              No Introduction needed Moany Groany lounge Funk, Cheap and always a nice trade staple

Midnight Movers INC Follow the Wind Part 1 and 2 Renee
              Great proto disco stuff, original I guess as it isn't as beefy as the Buddah mix
              Wanda Jackson Who Shot John Capitol
              Not Mean Mean man by a long shot

LPs

The Happening Piece of Mind Jubilee
              Absalout Belter of a pop sike album, but I really want to take the Jigsaw cover off to see the imagery underneath ....

Pollution ST Prophecy
              Dobie Gray fronted Soul Rock band, I built this up to be a Sidney Barnes fronted Rotary Connection , not quite that but a solid Horn Rock album with a nice Sly and the Family Stone Cover

Paul Parrish Songs Warner Brothers
              A stark contrast to Walking in the Forest of my MAI AI AIAI AI AIND. But a great subtle Hippie SSW album.

Tribe Ethnic Stew Probe (French Press)
              Cheap Bin , got it for the instrumental Smoke

Trilogy It Starts Again GWP 1970
              Proto Prelude folk album. A nice grower with Sinister arrangments and spacey producion )minted up with a cheap Sealed copy)

Alan Moorehouse Bond Street Band MFP 1972
              A mint one for a quid in the chazza on the way home today. Funky Fever and Drum Diddley are winners (in a Mandingo way)

Happy Hunting
              sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by KESSAKUSHU View Post
                went away with to Carrlingford for a few days, and managed to find a few bits in the antique shop there
                Damn.....my semi- secret spot revealed

Think I passed on that Alzo too last time I was there. Nice place, Carlingford
                Last edited by d7bohs; 06-05-2010, 10:12 PM.
                Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                  I got their LP from the market a couple of weeks ago, and it's quite a pleasant listen.
                  LP any good? Its ok, just a bit straight psych for me I think, will give it a few more spins tho...
                  MOSTLY MELLOW

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                    The Happening Piece of Mind Jubilee
                    Absalout Belter of a pop sike album, but I really want to take the Jigsaw cover off to see the imagery underneath.
                    Great LP, a fave of mine.

Don't worry too much about the Sally Eaton it's alway on the bay cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by captainwilloughby View Post
                      LP any good? Its ok, just a bit straight psych for me I think, will give it a few more spins tho...
                      They try a few different style so it's not a consistent LP, but it's listenable through out. "Red, purple and blue" is great off it, also available on single.

Comment

The last couple weeks' kung fu grip like G.I. Joe:

This Bam Himalayan / Kashmiri 10" ended on the opening bid of 99p. Stoked.

I have begun collecting NC/appalachian-related field recordings. This Folk Legacy title is actually really good oral history and pre-bluegrass, pre-country balladry. It makes me heavy with homesickness though.
                        Dixon and Grimes are both super clean OGs,
                        The Fix has been getting such heavy ipod love I had to backtrack and get the 2LP.

Steve Reid's passing had me trying to plug holes in my Reid / Tyler discography. Saga of the Outlaws is one result.
                        It seems I'm trying to have all the Collection Musee del Homme Lps, I'm maybe a little past the halfway point & getting closer with these Sikkim & Ivory Coast lps.
                        This Ecuadorian Ethnic title is kind of lame, they took this indigenous group into the studio and it sounds formulaic. I might keep it on the strength of the booklet though.

This Tunisia title on Ennagham has a lot of trippy sounding flute and percussion loops. Pretty raw.
                        I picked up the Sardinia Vol. 1 title hoping for some launedda drone, instead I got some really haunting guitar / moan work which is more and more endearing as time passes.
                        The David / Levy LP came in a blind trade from a waxidermist and was a welcome surprise.
                        Jackie Chan is in the trunk.

A lot more indigenous Italian music, these were priced too cheap to leave behind and it gives me an opportunity to immerse myself in this stuff, whereas previously I'd just picked up lone titles here and there. Each one contains something otherworldly.

I got paid the other day and came across a reasonably priced mint Saturn lp in a London shop (unheard of). This is more of an experimental electronics title, with Sun Ra wilding out to great effect on synth + organ with a trombonist wandering in at times for contrast and a heavy percussion arkestra freak out. But Ra is in the zone with this one electronics wise. I'm pleased...

Comment

Friday afternoon finds

Had an afternoon off today and did the rounds of a few north London haunts I've not hit up for a while.

A nice mixed bag of stuff.

To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Well done on the Caravan LP, wish my copy was cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                              brilliant 7"!
                              And what a way to ruin a perfectly fine monthly order of finds threads

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                                Well done on the Caravan LP, wish my copy was cleaner.
                                Wish mine had a Sleeve
                                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                                X