Finds July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finds July

Not posted much, work has been mega, but still been busy digging and lurking....

Anyway just back from a lunch time trip so along with some finds from the weekend(so actually end June/start July....) here is one of my best ever haul of records, all real life 'finds', no online buys!

The Zoot Money Big Roll Band - The Mound Moves / The Star of the Show (Columbia) - Top 'mod' instrumental

The Gipsys - Carameliots De Cafe EP (Odeon Pops/EMI) - Mega rare Argentinian funk in the form of Oh! Malala. Otro Dia is not too shabby either.

MC5 - Kick out the Jams / Motor City is Burning (Elektra)

The Triangle - Magic Touch / Music, Music (Exit) - Top Freakbeat version of this Soul Classic

The Mohawks - The Champ / Wilson Pickett - Born To be Wild (Atlantic) - A starnge double sider combo on this spanish issue. Think it's a juke box record.

Hunger- Mind Machine/ She Let him continue (Public) - killer hammond, killer lyrics, killer groove, killer psych.

Paul Revere and The Raiders - Louie Louie / Night Train (Columbia) - Nice version of Louie Louie which is more Richard Berry than Kingsmen.

Giant Crab - E.S.P / Hot Line Conversation (UNI) - Another top peice of Psych action
    [email protected]@K

Double Sight Weekender - Glasgow Garage & Psych Weekender 4-7th October 2012
    The Freak-Beats Club: Glasgow's new happening club night!
    "Get the Records!" On Youtube channel

Well jealous of that Gipsys. And I do like that wilson pickett cover of born to be wild!
    "Jumping cues and making haste just ain't my cup of meat"

www.alexd.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by awesomewelles View Post
      And I do like that wilson pickett cover of born to be wild!
      Yeah it is a good version. I remember pulling out a copy and showing it to a friend a couple of years ago who thought I'd pulled it out for him. Glad to have a copy now.
      [email protected]@K

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
        Hunger- Mind Machine/ She Let him continue (Public) - killer hammond, killer lyrics, killer groove, killer psych.
        One of my all time favourite psych tracks. Great finds BTW mate.
        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
          here is one of my best ever haul of records, all real life 'finds', no online buys!
          Some great finds there - record shop or charities?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
            Some great finds there - record shop or charities?
            Most were from the record fare at the Glasgow Weekender. Others from a record shop. I've not had any chazza luck in a long time.... (hopefully that will change when I embark on my my virgin charity shop challange voyage!)
            [email protected]@K

Comment

wow!! all killer no filler there -- great stuff.
              Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Right, time to unleash the tedium and bore everyone shitless with my monthly round-up. Always looking backwards, never forwards.

The usual mix of Rob's Records, the 'Bay, GEMM, CDandLP, charity shops, car boot sales and a couple of half-arsed and chaotic attempts at the Charity Shop Challenge (which I'll write up when I get chance).

Here goes.................

These were picked up on a little journey over to Sutton In Ashfield for a small ‘church hall’ fair that happens there every couple of months. Didn’t get much at the fair, it has to be said. However, I did get Mandingo III – only the second time I’ve seen it in the wild. This one’s a Canadian copy and sounds great – best in the series? Top left is We All Together reissue, which isn’t really my thing and is now appearing in the Trades section. Top right is Mazerati, another Paisley Park artist who look as gay as a window in the shots on the reverse of the cover. Bottom middle is Dutch band Tee Set, again my Spidey-senses were a bit off here, it’s too pop-psych lightweight for me, I expected more glam stomp (is similarly to be found in my Trades). And rounded off with the always welcome Bully Boys Band (‘Song From Putney Swope’ is the one on here).

Bit of a Mojo selection here, admittedly. But I’m resolved to pick off the Fabs / Dame LPs as well as I can. Combination of Rob’s (Sgt Pepper) and my local booters for the others. Maybe The Band’s weakest album, but it’s a box ticked anyway.

A few LPs with which to generate Record Tokens here. I figure that paying 50p per item, giving them a try and then punting them on, even if only getting £1 per item back on Grantham Market is a decent rate of exchange. Nothing much here that needs explanation. Bottom centre is a strange Dr John LP, maybe an unofficial release?

More fun at the local booter for the top row. Spare of one of the better Chaquito LPs (now in my Trades post). The CMJ LP is one that I regret selling on eBay back in my skinter days – definitely one to pick up if you see cheap. This was £3, haggled down from £5, nifty mod stuff like a more tongue in cheek Peddlers (with some really annoying crowd chatter!). Fifth Dimension and Sergio Mendes both from Melton Mowbray booter. Neil Ardley and Michael Fennelly were from Newark Flea Market (takes place on Mondays). Neil Ardley is pretty much classic fare round these parts and Michael Fennelly is SSW kinda stuff from the ex-Crabby Appleton singer – the album is a bit pish until you get to the track ‘Flyer’ which is most lovely.

Some exemplary trading from Mr Pakes netted me Ms Natal, Ms Lilly and Messrs Schneider and Richards. Trades are the future. Simon Park was very cheap off the ‘Bay as was the Pop France DBLP, which I heartily recommend – lots of Triangle and Dynastie Crisis type stuff, plenty of sampleable fodder if that’s your bag.

An array of VV/VG+ classics non? Some of which have found their way over to my Trades pile, some have gone straight into the Freebies pile (which I’ll sort out and unleash over the next week or so)

Top row here were all from a charity shop in Sutton In Ashfield. The 12” is Japan ‘Quiet Life’ / ‘Life In Tokyo’ (I heart Japan), the other two are destined for Record Token type trading. Bottom row were all from the weird and wonderful Nottingham Cattle Market on the Saturday morning before I headed off to Sutton. The Yin & Yan LP is cut’n’paste vocals and skits and clearly aimed at the more mashed folk of the 70s. Early Moira Kerr LP, some of which is actually pretty good, not sure I’ll keep it though.

Top row were all from the same eBay seller who turned out to be a local fella (Sutton In Ashfield) and I got all three for a pretty reasonable sum. Bottom left was a very low opening bid on eBay (US seller, but even when shipping was factored in, it was still cheap). Janis Ian from Rob’s in town, upon the recommendation of Flytipper (nice one!) and a reggae 12” (Cygnus) from a local chazza.

Couple of Strawbs LPs from a local booter, the two Can LPs were from the same dealer at the booter – seem to have managed to nail most of the good Can LPs really quickly and for surprisingly low prices. Just need to snare a copy of Tago Mago and I’ll be happy. John Cameron was an end-of-the-month splurge at Rob’s Records (that damned ‘collectables’ section again!). And the Amiga ‘Party Sound’ LP was just one euro off the 'bay. Only got one decent track on it as it turned out.

A pretty heavy-hitting selection here. Top left is a nice bit of trading from Kratgraver, top middle is the great Sunbirds LP which I got on CDandLP for a decent price (well, it’s only in VG- condition, but will do nicely as a reference copy). Chubby I got on CDandLP after being outbid on so many copies on eBay that it was getting right on my tit end. Bottom row all came from Grantham Market a couple of weeks ago and were the product of trades.

These were all from Boston in Lincs. Got talking to a chap who runs one of the small charity shops and he was kind of bemused that he’d had a second customer buying vinyl that day as the day before a dealer had been in and picked through stuff, the proprietor asked him “How often should I refresh the records that I have out?”, the dealer said “Once someone like me’s been through them, you may as well throw them out”!! What a conceited twat! Obviously not the most clued up conceited twat either, considering what I managed to find in Boston in just under an hour. I’ve always been a Kate Bush fan, but restricted the adulation to CD, now I’m picking up the vinyl when I see it cheap. Minty Trojan from Cancer Research? Nice. Couple of copies of Malcolm Lockyer (incs Hanged Man) to add to the Freebies pile (nowt wrong with giving a charity a quid just to rehome the vinyl via this board). Pet Sounds is a Fame reissue and Bonnie Dobson is just that wee bit too early for me, a nice find though.

All these came from the Sue Ryder books/music shop in Spalding (Lincolnshire). Reggae 12”s (Maxi Priest and Tinga Stewart) were dead cheap, so picked them up with the intention of re-homing via VG+, ditto Electro 5. Well pleased to find the Ipcress File soundtrack in spanking nick for £3! Portisheadloopz4dayz or summat.

A few tiddlers from Boston. Bob and Earl is to cash in for record tokens, Malcolm Roberts is on the Freebie pile already. Top TV Themes helped me satisfy the Marble Arch criteria and right at the end of the day as well (liking the Department S theme)! Chacksfield sounded like a decent set of tunes, but the vinyl was more knacked than it first appeared, so had to be put out of its misery.

Top row and Jerry Lee all came from the Red Cross shop in Spalding. Top left is a local (Leicester) PP of kiddie steel band stuff with a ‘breakz’ interlude called ‘Patrick Plays Drums’ (or summat) which is just a lengthy drum solo / workout, shame that the recording itself is so lo-fi. Cerrone is a bit lame and is in the ‘Out’ pile. The campaign to acquire all The Dame’s quality output (i.e. up to and including Scary Monsters) on vinyl continues apace. Jerry Lee Lewis was picked up due to recommendations on the board – thanks for that (‘Shotgun Man’ is a banger!). Nice bit of Nina Simone and a VV/VG+ staple to finish.

These were from my first run at the Charity Shop Challenge (which went pretty badly!). Nice that my first find on the Challenge was the tasty Dudley Moore comp (with ‘Bedazzled’ amongst others). Later pressing of Chaquito. Ben McPeek is nice – Canadian lounge-y stuff, which you can’t mess with for 25p! Couple more VV/VG+ classics for the Freebies pile and Diana Trask which purported to be ‘country soul’, but might have lied about the ‘soul’ bit.

These were from the Age Concern's 6 for a quid deal and I struggled to put the 6 together!! More for the Freebies / Record Tokens pile really. The TK 12” is Uncle Louie (pretty awful and had a warp anyway).

Anda small selection from charity shops in Sleaford (again, Lincolnshire massive!). ‘Thunderball…etc’ is a cracking bit of lounge spy-jazz which is well-known round these parts I should think. When I found it, I imagined it would be destined for the Freebies pile, but it’s definitely a keeper. Lovely copy of Low (I really am in a massive Bowie phase at the moment). Deacon LP in tribute to Bob Dylan, not really feeling it. And some twanging from Duane Eddy (destined for record tokens I’m afraid).

And these were my ‘in under the wire’ selection of items that I’ve picked up in the last couple of days. Top two landed on my doormat, bottom two were picked up in Rob’s. Not far off having all Dudley’s LPs now as well. Strange how you just amass these things without noticing!

And I thought I’d add this as it made me smile. The way those titles are casually tossed together! The utter nonchalance with which Moody comes between Norrie Paramor and James Last!! Oh, that they were all equally easy to find!!!

By the way, just been to see 'American: The Bill Hicks Story' - fantastic, but not sure it's essential to see on a big screen.

Back and to the left......
                Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Great post Ben,will get some trades up soon and we can get sorted
                  Rockwell
                  Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Happened upon a Midlands antiques shop with a lot of 45s.

Admired the £80 'See Emily Play', and the £120 'All Shook Up', then bought this lot for £25 instead...

No introduction needed!

Can't resist Bluebeats I don't have!

Decent version of a great song.

Great answer to 'King of the road'

DC5 play NY !

All-time classic!

Great popcorny track from Ms. Shapiro

As discussed on here recently, solid r'n'b.

Bit hammered, but well worth picking up

Find of the day for me, been after one of these for a while. Top moddy business and a NM copy too.
                    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Grabbed this for quid at a Charity shop today. Wasn't expecting too much thought it would be going straight back out into the wilds, but it isn't that bad really. I quite like "judgment day".

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                        Happened upon a Midlands antiques shop with a lot of 45s.
                        You on my Manor? They got no records down south no more...?

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
                          You on my Manor? They got no records down south no more...?
                          No, I was on Ya Ya's manor, apparently...
                          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                            Right, time to unleash the tedium and bore everyone shitless with my monthly round-up. Always looking backwards, never forwards.

The usual mix of Rob's Records, the 'Bay, GEMM, CDandLP, charity shops, car boot sales and a couple of half-arsed and chaotic attempts at the Charity Shop Challenge (which I'll write up when I get chance).

Here goes.................

These were picked up on a little journey over to Sutton In Ashfield for a small ‘church hall’ fair that happens there every couple of months. Didn’t get much at the fair, it has to be said. However, I did get Mandingo III – only the second time I’ve seen it in the wild. This one’s a Canadian copy and sounds great – best in the series? Top left is We All Together reissue, which isn’t really my thing and is now appearing in the Trades section. Top right is Mazerati, another Paisley Park artist who look as gay as a window in the shots on the reverse of the cover. Bottom middle is Dutch band Tee Set, again my Spidey-senses were a bit off here, it’s too pop-psych lightweight for me, I expected more glam stomp (is similarly to be found in my Trades). And rounded off with the always welcome Bully Boys Band (‘Song From Putney Swope’ is the one on here).

.jpg[/IMG]

And I thought I’d add this as it made me smile. The way those titles are casually tossed together! The utter nonchalance with which Moody comes between Norrie Paramor and James Last!! Oh, that they were all equally easy to find!!!

By the way, just been to see 'American: The Bill Hicks Story' - fantastic, but not sure it's essential to see on a big screen.

Back and to the left......
                            The Manassas is a totally overlooked country rock album, and as for the Gentle Rain, they are cheap as chips around here, just picked up a copy as part of a 10 for a £1 local record shop deal.

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel blazer View Post
                              and as for the Gentle Rain, they are cheap as chips around here, just picked up a copy as part of a 10 for a £1 local record shop deal.
                              You jammy bugger!

All me a Nige could see there was utter shit, and they were a quid a pop.

Comment

Working...
                              X