No announcement yet.

Finds July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just the four this weekend. The Trojan was from the charities and the others from the market, £2 each and lovely clean vinyl.

Tighten Up - Vol 2 Compilation (Trojan)
    Millie Jackson - Caught Up (Polydor)
    Fela Kuti - Original Sufferhead (Arista)
    Tim Love Lee - The Trip (Family Recordings). 3 LP mix set with some interesting tracks from the likes of White Noise, HP Lovecraft, Gabor Szabo, Ramsey Lewis, Vangelis, and more.

Comment

• Skint at the moment but have had some arrivals bought last month. Will insert pics as soon as i get my pc fixed.

bob chance - the bomb/it's broken (torchlite)

1980 reissue of jubal's childrens psych funk dancer... thanks for the help jens!

krokodil - blue flashing circle/tell me what you want (liberty)

another big belfast fave, "VG" wins again and turns out to be EX!

las grecas - orgullo/?? (cbs)
      great cheap girl euro psychfunkpop, absolutely loving this. coming to a x-mas swap soon if it hasn't been used already.

one LP:
      kati kovacs - s/t
      no intro needed

oh and some real world stuff, 50p each in a shop:

michel polnareff - love me, please love me EP
      with 'ne mes marchez sur les pieds' from my xmas cd, pic sleeving and minting up

honeybus - can't let maggie go/tender are the ashes (portuguese deram)
      portuguese issue, lots of them in that box. never had this for some reason

cat stevens - baby get your head screwed on EP (portuguese deram)
      haven't listened properly yet but liking this version as much as the rarer heavier ones. works better as pop than freakbeat i think.

jeanette - porque te vas/??
      didn't know this but liked it when i listened in the shop. have a thing for girly euro pop at the moment apparently.
      http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
      http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
      http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Bud Peyote View Post
        las grecas - orgullo/?? (cbs)
        great cheap girl euro psychfunkpop, absolutely loving this. coming to a x-mas swap soon if it hasn't been used already.
        Longtime B-Music fave, killer intro. It was on Dr Smith's CD last year although his spelling means it doesn't turn up in an 'orgullo' search of the site. Nice purchases, Seb.
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

• Vacation is over... some of my best finds:

Michael Nesmith and the Second National Band - Tantamount to Treason vol 1
          How sad volume 2 never materialized - I can't get enough of Wax Minute with that e-z country-groove and weird organ freakout in the end. What with all the Wyrd Folk craze some while back we need a Weiiird Country one too I think. No idea what else there is in that bag except maybe for some of the stuff from the Yeehaw comp even though much of that is more lyrically weird than musically. And Peter Grudzien who is also on said comp.

Henryk Lysiak - Swinging Hammond in Stereo vol 2
          Admittedly this sounded better with beers at the Crillo but still pretty groovy soul covers.

Amon Düül - Paradieswärths Düül
          OG. Even though I had to pay I'm glad for a NM/NM copy.

Oriental Wind - Chila-chila
          As recently mentioned by me here already.
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• las grecas - orgullo/?? (cbs)

Twas on my last swap mix but I don't mind hearing it again! So sorry about my awful spelling btw.
            www.raysmith.bz

www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
              Vacation is over... some of my best finds:

Michael Nesmith and the Second National Band - Tantamount to Treason vol 1
              How sad volume 2 never materialized - I can't get enough of Wax Minute with that e-z country-groove and weird organ freakout in the end. What with all the Wyrd Folk craze some while back we need a Weiiird Country one too I think. No idea what else there is in that bag except maybe for some of the stuff from the Yeehaw comp even though much of that is more lyrically weird than musically. And Peter Grudzien who is also on said comp.
              Once the builders have finished and I've got my stuff set up in my new bespoke music lounge the answer to this question will be revealed.
              To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
                Once the builders have finished and I've got my stuff set up in my new bespoke music lounge the answer to this question will be revealed.
                Yes please, Hugh.

Weird country is fine country. Got a few I'd like to update my old country chart with, as well.
                Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

• These are from the last few weeks, most are from boot sales but a few from David record shop in Letchworth and one online buy
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Locamotive - GT 70'S not really my bag track 1 rock yourself is a bit of a guitar wigout.
                  Marty Riff Association - hits of creedence -only had a quick listen but didn't sound too promising
                  King Harvest - dancing in the moonlight - had a quick lsten and sounds ok
                  Maxwell Plumm - we can work it out - private press - some ok covers,Flyin Hi is a self penned track which has a massive drum break fed through some kind of machine that distorts it.
                  Gospel Ayers - i wanna testify - picked up on the strenght of the vg+ classics thread
                  Keith -Adventures of , excellent LP pop psych how i like it
                  Kraftwerk - Autobahn -orig embossed sleeve which is a bit tatty but the record is near mint
                  [[IMG][/IMG]
                  Phyllis Hyman - you know how to love me - classic modern northern soul spin (if that makes sense)
                  Jimmy Mcgriff- the worm - fantastic organ grooves
                  Chambers brothers - Groovin time -pretty good early soul grooves with organ
                  Gladys Knight - feelin blusey - amazing solid lp £2 from Davids, the standout track is Ain't you gld you chose love
                  impressinos - big sixteen -great soul lp from a top group
                  Dollar Brand - African Space Program - too way out jazz for my ears
                  Abdullah Ibrahim -Mindif - says on the sleeve it is the soundtrack to the film Chocolat -loving the track Pule so chilled out
                  Grover Washington -reed seed - too smooth for me
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Modern Jazz Quartet - sun dance -only had a quick listen but fromwhat i've heard i like
                  Paul Horn -Jazz suite- my fave find this month,amazing lp spiritual jazz with Lalo Scifrin conducting and hints of bullitt mixed in
                  Mike Westbrook - love/ dream and variations - Am liking this very much
                  Mel Lewis - and friends not listened to yet
                  Gerry Niewood and timepiece- as above
                  I mentioned the next one in last months find but didn't have a camera then
                  it's called a pot of flowers and has four bands on it , the wildflower, harbinger complex, euphoria and the other side, top notch folky,pop.psych,garage
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  These are the EPS i also mentioned last month
                  Wilson Pickett - from Australia
                  Ray Charles - as above
                  Hugo Montenegro on the Mountain record label but no details at all about it's country of origin
                  Animals - from Singapore
                  Rolling Stones - german 80's reissue
                  Roy Orbison- australian
                  Ennio Morricone - German
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Astor & the ponytails - give me what I want - klik - great mid tempo funky groover
                  Sugar - ocho Rios -top soulful inst, sounds like an instrumental that i've heard the vocal version to, but i'm probably just making that up in my head.
                  Judge Dread - german issue
                  Congregation - german again
                  Mara Lynn Brown - just call me maxi - was used for promoting Max Factor makeup- pretty good female pop song

Last but not least the one e-bay buy
                  chimes - beginning of my life -absolutly amazing northern soul crossover tune, i urge anyone who has a passing interest in soul music to give it a listen it wll e on some site or other.
                  hope i've not bored you all too much

Comment

• Originally posted by geoff whitfield View Post
                    Grover Washington -reed seed - too smooth for me
                    They do a decent version of Idris Mohamed's "Lorain's dance" on here (Tribe called Quest were fans!).

Great finds BTW mate.
                    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by geoff whitfield View Post
                      Last but not least the one e-bay buy
                      chimes - beginning of my life -absolutly amazing northern soul crossover tune, i urge anyone who has a passing interest in soul music to give it a listen it wll e on some site or other.
                      hope i've not bored you all too much
                      Not bored at all. Enlightened.

Lovely.

Didn't know it before but I do now. That 'reaching' kind of vocal style always gets me. Some sublime 'Whoah's'

Many thanks.
                      <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

• been scouring a nearby bargain bin and come up with a mint copy of Red Beans and Rice featuring Ray Draper (demo copy and US pressing).

For a mere two bucks.

and the Brighouse and Rastrick Band doing Theme from Shaft for a single buck - Hypnotic Brass Ensemble who?

Comment

• Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                          It is Jens mate, but it's all about 'Virgo' for me.
                          aaah, only had the 45
                          rick wakeman´s keyboard

Comment

• Originally posted by wickerman View Post
                            aaah, only had the 45
                            I'd like to think 'Virgo' was a single.
                            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                              I'd like to think 'Virgo' was a single.
                              It is, its the b-side to Golden Lady.I have a UK copy of this.

Comment

• Popped into a charity on a PO run this lunchtime and found

Pretty Things - On Film e.p. ................SLEEVE...arrrgh!!!

Bloke gave it me for nowt though and a VG- copy of Pentangle 'Light Flight' 45 which I saved from the bin
                                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                                X