Finds - August 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finds - August 2010

Thought I'd start a new thread although strictly speaking these were bought on the 31st...slap my wrists!

As per Mr Sayers finds all from the market, record fair and a couple of trades. Lots of £1 buys and a few bits of crud but it's all part of the fun.

Not the £1 buys....

Phantom - Phantom's Divine Comedy (Capitol) - If you hate the Doors you'll hate this LP.

Grapefruit - Deep Water (RCA) I think I already own a UK copy of this but forgot as I handed over my £10 to the dealer for this US copy...I'm a tool!

Leonard Schaeffer - A Boy And His Dog (Warners) For the track Lodenspear as featured on a Towny Xmas mix. Sealed copy for cheap so couldn't leave it but a spare.

John Cale & Terry Riley - Church Of Anthrax (CBS) Great LP...thanks Lee.

Willie Mitchell - On Top (London) Funky instumentals as you'd imagine. 30-60-90 sounding particularly good.

John Wallis & His Big Band - The Sound Of Beat Rhythms (Synchro) Who better to have in your company than LDBJ when faced with an LP like this and you're wondering if it's worth the fiver purchase Some nice tracks on here...better than I hoped.

The Mike Post Coalition - Fused (Warners) Thank you to Sie Fly for this.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (Harvest) Time to replace my charity shop Aussie copy with a clean UK inc. the relevant pics etc. I've learnt to appreciate the LP more over the years and not compare it to Piper/Saucerful.

The £1 "I haven't got room for this crud...why am I buying so many" pile

Sounds Incorporated (Studio 2) Bit rough but couldn't leave it for the price. As featured in LDJB's recent chart.

Acker Bilk - Acker International (Studio 2) Ever since I was informed that there was a good Acker track called Acka Raga I've been checking his LP's. This LP has that track but I was pretty sure this wasn't the right press (too early at 1967). Sure enough, a different later LP so the hunt continues.

Cyril Ornadel - Hits Of Soul (RCA) Good covers of soul hits.

John Barry - Play It Again (Polydor) VV classic,

The Chilites - Give More Power To The People (MCA) Cleaner copy to replace my other.

Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Memphis (RCA) Still not sure why Waxidermy featured this LP in their rock edition. To keep or not to keep...not sure.

The Dynamic Batmen - Batman TV Theme (Panda) Shame this is rough. Pretty good R&B instro stuff from 66'.

The Best Of Beat - Various (label?) West German 60's comp. Highlight being fuzz guiatar cover of Tin Solider...vocally inferior of course.

Francoise Hardy - In Vogue
    Francoise Hardy - S/T
    Michael Nesmith & The First National Band - Magnetic South
    Procol Harum - Grand Hotel

...all well known and I've lost the will for further descriptions!

The above 2 pics are stuff I already have or don't want.

The Duncan Lamont I'll keep for Kratgraver if he wants it (great Ode To Billy Joe version)
    The Rupert LP's are Mike McNaught/Barry Ainsworth related and not on the MFP releases but don't have the kiddie funk (at a push one track is). Let me know if you want me to send you these Little Jimmy....I owe you anyway.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Originally posted by Campag Record View Post

John Wallis & His Big Band - The Sound Of Beat Rhythms (Synchro) Who better to have in your company than LDBJ when faced with an LP like this and you're wondering if it's worth the fiver purchase Some nice tracks on here...better than I hoped.
    Keen-eyed Xmas swappers may recognise this as the inspiration for my swap cd cover last year
    https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
    https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
    https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Both from the charities today.

Sly Stone - Recorded in San Francisco 1964-67 (Sculpture)
      Rock dirge! Spare.

Super fly TNT - OST (Buddah)
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
        Keen-eyed Xmas swappers may recognise this as the inspiration for my swap cd cover last year
        Thought I recognised it...was thinking someone used it as their avatar. Great choice for a CD sleeve anyway
        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
          Surely that's an inspirational cover for the parp thread too
          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Monthly round-up from me.

As usual, I've been mixing the online with the real world, though I didn't get out to many booters in July as there were a couple of weeks where the weather was pish and at least one week where I was on a self-inflicted comedown/pyschological armageddon.

But anyway, here goes:

The above were mainly gleaned from my second stab at the CSC, apart from Julie Felix which I got at a booter. The Scots Guards LP has decent versions of 'Live And Let Die', 'Mission Impossible' and 'Hawaii Five-O'. The Brian Bennett LP is a comp/two-fer of the 'best' bits of 'Change Of Direction' and 'Illustrated...', never even knew it existed to be honest. Will probably stick it in the trades pile.

This lot is a mixture of trades with Mr Pencilface (first two), Dusty was a cheapie off eBay, bottom row were all from Rob's a couple of weeks ago. Well chuffed with the Bob Seger LP, later pressing or not, the tunes are ace. Not that fussed by the Ford Theatre LP, certainly not as good as the 'Trilogy For The Masses'.

Most of these were from a quick bit of charity action in Newark. Couple of VV/VG+ classics up top. The TV Themes LP was a new one on me, but has some mad funked-out disco-fied versions of staples like 'Starsky & Hutch', 'Professionals' and 'Rockford Files'. The JCS 12" I've mentioned in the relevant thread elsewhere and the Shanghai is a spare bit of UK funky/rock/breaks business.

Of the above, the Mike Sammes was a chazza find (and has already been re-homed via the board), the Button Down Brass LP came off eBay, the other three were from Grantham market (the Arrival 'S/T' LP is a spare).

These lot all came from the same chazza as the Mike Sammes LP. Think I did some re-homing with these as well. Well chuffed with the mint Adam Best, this means I now have a lesser copy going spare.

Found copies of the next three jazz efforts in a chazza in Newark and traded them on Grantham market about an hour later as I knew I wasn't going to listen to them:

And those trades, plus a bag full of random late 70s/early 80s soul-funk that I was clearing out, plus some other odds and ends and about £30 in cash saw me toddling home with the following selection:

OG of Le Planete Sauvage - wicked LP as I'm sure 99% of you already know. Lovely jazz/soul from Newban, with 'Greenburgh' still being the killer, years after I first heard it - pretty chuffed with an OG of this anyway. 'Interesting' soul/rock from Mama Lion, you can definitely hear similarities to the Merryweather and Carey LP. My The Band fixation continues, I would say this is their second best, just behind their self-titled album. The Carol Deene I picked up due to Babs Moore's involvement. Not sure about the tunes, I would imagine Jeanette will find this on her doorstep one day . And the Wild Magnolias just takes me back to my early collecting days of funky comps......record lists...........Steps Ahead in Leicester.......buying owt with afros and flares on the cover.....jumpers for goalposts..........can of Top Deck and a pineapple Mivvi..........a game of 'tiggy off ground'......ahh, so long ago. Decent LP anyway.

And the postman dropped these three off last week:

The first two should be plenty familiar round here. The other LP, for those that don't know is by The Feminine Complex and is fucking awesome. All-girl group of psych/garage/soul/pop persuasion, total killer which you should scour the net for right away. The kind of thing that Jack White would release on Third Man if they were around now. I mean, fuck's sake, this tune even has some Eddie Hazel kinda licks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4yBZ-TxYc

Top recommendation.

And I reckon that's about it for now.

Oh and I got the Black Keys CD, which I think is a great return to form.
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Like Campag I deserve a slap on the wrist as pretty much all of these were amassed on Saturday....gulp....still in July

I seemed to miss out on the heat at the Newcastle Fair - I was too busy having my ear bent by the organiser and being mistaken for Campag's dad There were some nice records there and I kind of wish I'd taken the plunge on a Creation 45 (or that Untamed one). Next time!

V cheap garage hit did come my way though - dunno where my UK copy went!

and this oddity

Mr Sayers kindly gave me this

and Sir Flytipper chucked these my way - both ace (I never realised there was a 45 of the Politicians track - how dumb am I)

Mixed bag of big 'uns - Joe South has a trippy instro track - very strange! Some trade action from Craig (cheers mate) and a Freebie from LJO (many thanks). Reggae LP is a bit meh and a charity shop shader 12"

Scottish PP heat! Nah - it's shite! (no I mean - it's dead good and coming your way Jim ) Simonsound LP - very good! COS proper easy - it nearly takes off at times but just not quite there for me. I grabbed the Routers after seeing on here - pretty good if not quite 'hard' enough. Peter Tosh - I was hoping he'd rhyme 'chalice' wit 'palace' and bless him, he didn't dissapoint

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                I seemed to miss out on the heat at the Newcastle Fair - I was too busy having my ear bent by the organiser and being mistaken for Campag's dad There were some nice records there and I kind of wish I'd taken the plunge on a Creation 45 (or that Untamed one). Next time!
                With the amount of grey hair I have now it should have been the other way round

Under normal circumstances you could have chatted for the full duration and not missed a thing but it was a real shock to find decent records. Hope you can get to the next one.

Comment

Scottish PP heat! Nah - it's shite! (no I mean - it's dead good and coming your way Jim )
                  I think he may already have it...
                  In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Nice finds chaps - Ben some great gear again mate,will have to get back out in the wild...think i need a whole week CSC !!
                    Rockwell
                    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Had a pleasant stroll around Brighton & Hove today.

Picked up a fair few bits and pieces not many keepers but good for trading.

Best / most interesting of the bunch were

Traitor - that's life/ stone cold sober - Airship 45

NWOBHM rarity so i've been told

Arrantzaleak - Viva la gente - Agorilla - Bayonne Ep

Basque group

Leprechaun - She's a queen / Spanish lady - Teal 45

Sorry no pics the family digital camera is away on holiday with the missus and lad

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                        And the postman dropped these three off last week:

The first two should be plenty familiar round here. The other LP, for those that don't know is by The Feminine Complex and is fucking awesome. All-girl group of psych/garage/soul/pop persuasion, total killer which you should scour the net for right away. The kind of thing that Jack White would release on Third Man if they were around now. I mean, fuck's sake, this tune even has some Eddie Hazel kinda licks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4yBZ-TxYc

Top recommendation.
                        Wow! Had a listen to some of their other tracks on utube and all killer. So jealous but thanks for listing this one .

Comment

I didn't know Peter Tosh could ride a unicycle.
                          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
                            This is a great record. One of the first Jazz LPs I acquired; and I'm going to play it right now.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                              I didn't know Peter Tosh could ride a unicycle.
                              Yes - just after smoking a - your guessed it - chalice in the palace!

There is a bloke who I see riding a unicycle to work sometimes - I mean proper communting - in with all the taxis, buses and lorries on Lothian road. He is a tit to be frank - causes huge jams when he has to get off and on at lights etc and when he can only go at a set speed on the open road and I can never get past him on my normal bike as he weaves all over the place. I saw him the other day cycling and carrying a brolly as it was raining - bellend.
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                              X