Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Nice finds!

The McCoy Tyner is great. Need to find Jazz Goes Swinging. What is the Volkswagen and Joe Henderson like?
    The whole Volkswagen album with all tracks appear to be on youtube because you know "This record is a nice collectors item to have when you're a lover of third generation vw transporters"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8XfD...x=0&playnext=1
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
      The whole Volkswagen album with all tracks appear to be on youtube because you know "This record is a nice collectors item to have when you're a lover of third generation vw transporters"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8XfD...x=0&playnext=1
      Eh?? What's the big fuss? I went through all eight tracks, and apart from track 7 and the beginning of track 8 which were of passing interest (although track 8 then descended into some self-indulgent wank-rock) I could find nothing to get remotely excited about.

The emperor is actually naked y'know
      ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post
        Eh?? What's the big fuss? I went through all eight tracks, and apart from track 7 and the beginning of track 8 which were of passing interest (although track 8 then descended into some self-indulgent wank-rock) I could find nothing to get remotely excited about.

The emperor is actually naked y'know
        But I told you it's a nice collectors item to have when you're a lover of third generation vw transporters - so why care about the music?

Seriously though - that track 7 is way cool and I guess it appeals to DJs. For me - had I found it for £1 I probably wouldn't have kept it... especially with the money it seems you can gain for flogging it...

I would've loved that track on a comp surrounded by similar great tunes though.

Comment

• From the market yesterday.

The Kinks - The Village Green Preservation Society (Pye) Finally, a want of nigh on 20 years...a nice clean copy to replace the rough one I bought a couple of years back. Stereo press but the mono would have just meant even more money to pull out so I'm happy enough. Bloody great LP

Paper Bubble - Scenery (Deram) Also in stereo, a nice clean copy of this late 60's pop LP. I'm not sure about the standard of songs on here....I kinda agree with Galactic Ramble's review. Nice harmony/arrangements but nothing really memorable after two listens....I'll stick with it. Love the sleeve though!

The Dave Clark Five - Everybody Knows (Columbia) Been looking out for a clean copy of this since Sarge featured Inside And Out on his Xmas mix. A few other nice pop moments as you'd expect.

The Anvil Flutes And Capricorn Voices - Something New Is Coming (Deram) Easy listening with Mike Sammes Singers on vocal duty I believe. Quite elaborate arrangements. Nothing really essential on here. Never My Love is nice.

Can - Soon Over Babaluma (UA) Just needle dropped so far. It ain't no Tago Mago.

Frank Sinatra - Watertown (Reprise) My love of this LP grows on every listen. Was hoping this was gonna be a mint playing copy (nice visually) to replace my slightly worn copy but not a great deal of difference between the two. My hunt for a stone mint crackle free copy continues.
          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

• Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
            Can - Soon Over Babaluma (UA) Just needle dropped so far. It ain't no Tago Mago.
            But it's completely fucking amazing anyway!

Keep it for some time before you make your mind up - I felt like you when I first got it, and now it has grown on me and I rate it very highly!

And shit... I think maybe I need to find that Sinatra now and see what the hype is all about.

Comment

And shit... I think maybe I need to find that Sinatra now and see what the hype is all about.
              Do it. It's brilliant. I feel your pain on the crackle though!
              ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

• Car Boot finds, this week and last: last week's first...

Marvin, Billy Cobham, Carnival - Bones Howe produced Sergio Mendes spin off, lovely sounding, The Roy Meriwether is great, and the Buddah comp has a fab Lou Christie track, Canterbury Road. Need to find Paint America Blue.

All self-explanatory, i think - the Sammy Johns is there as a warning - this record may look like interesting SSW/ Loner folk, but it's bilge: the guy had two copies and i nearly took both!

Today: Radio Ghosts is obscure Scottish early '80s indie, with a sort of stiff indie funk charm

The one on the bottom right is Thoughts and Words - Pandamonium related - very good indeed....

Oh, and Soon Over Babaluma is my favourite Can LP and I have them all, I think
                Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

• Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                  A LP I need to dig out.

Great finds BTW mate.
                  "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Keep it for some time before you make your mind up - I felt like you when I first got it, and now it has grown on me and I rate it very highly!
                    Might be a bit far out for my conservative tastes but I'll persevere with it mate
                    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

• Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
                      All self-explanatory, i think - the Sammy Johns is there as a warning - this record may look like interesting SSW/ Loner folk, but it's bilge: the guy had two copies and i nearly took both!
                      Yes, it is a turd of the highest order

Comment

• copenhagen finds etc

copenhagen finds from start of month. Most 10 krona only! those without stickers came from the junk shop on norrebrogade mentioend in the copehnagen write up

Maze & Frankie Beverly - good rare groove, Like their stuff but can get a bit sugary.
                        VA - Hair rave up. Blinding grooviness, haven't listened to side 2 yet. arranged by cyril stapleton, tracks like 'bond st baby' - couldn't leave it...and is that Alex Harvey on vocals?
                        Lonnie liston smith - loveland. No 'expansions', but I like this. mellow-funky, bit roy ayers-y.
                        Deep purple - fireball. On harvest. I was hoping to find 'into the fire' on this,but it ain't. Nevetheless, decent stuff and sounds solidly performed and produced at 1st playing.
                        MCartney II- there were tons of these in copenhagen. VV fave.
                        Silver convention - love in a sleeper - later album. Not yet played. Not expecting it to live up to the funky craziness of 'madhouse' but you never know.
                        Coati mundi - 12 y.o. genius (spare) - love this, see the Dr buzzard/kid creole thread.
                        Juliette Greco - pleasant stuff, cover of Brel's 'On n'oublie rien', so far hasn't really grabbed me.
                        Frank valdor - hot nights in rio - latin funk, some good stuff on here.
                        Tony Hatch - latin happening - finally it is mine!! VV fave.
                        Roger whittaker - don't believe in If anymore.Love the track, also picked up the PS single. Some good tracks here, Zack lawrence on production. This LP is plentiful in copenhagen!
                        Weather report - 8.30. A bit noodly. I like Mr Gone, Heavy weather and Sweetnighter as they are quite tight and the melodies etc. are clearly defined. This LP so far seems to be the opposite....too much meandering and noodling.
                        Vladimir cosma - Diva OMPS -been after this for ages and nice to get it mint!
                        Jr walker - best of - funky motown sax, nice comp with 'way back home' and 'walk in the night on'. Better than a lot of the sugary slop the label was churning out in the early-mid 70s.
                        Alan Price - story of. double on polydor from 70s, a comp of TV recordings and rare tracks. Good but not as tight as his 60s hits. I recommend the Decca 'focus on...' double LP comp for all his best stuff.
                        Ventures (, not pictured) - the '68 one with the groovy cover of 'no matter what condition your stomach is in'. lacking sleeve...Anyone got a sleeve they'd part with?

Back in UK last week and got these VV bits for 10p: (not yet played)
                        Hallmark hair.
                        Eartha kitt '73
                        Osmonds - plan
                        This is stereo (crap)
                        Paul mauriat - with a Serge Gainsbourg cover on! (la decadanse)
                        Marble arch chartbusters .
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by eclectiktronik; 16-08-2010, 04:18 PM.
                        "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

• just hit a chazza got
                          rightous brothers band rat race spector repress, need the verve 45 for the b side really
                          odyssy goin back to my roots 12
                          sweet illusion lancashire private press 45 thing with ok break
                          stroboscopia vol 2 plastic italy double lp rare library comp like mint from back in the day

plus many nuggets through the post inc
                          vicki anderson i love you
                          'Swear I am evil when Ive had a few'

Comment

• Car Boots Sales / £3 box at a fair / trades and more !!

Shaping up OK / though some may disagree...
                            mixture of gear...got the Lloyd Ryan off a dealer for £3 / last month had the Schroeder album with 'headband' for a £1 off him...he is a nasty little man so i'm feeling quite good about this !!

nice version of 'what i'd say' on the Earl Palmer,VG+ breaks alert with Lloyd Ryan.../60's pop with the Herd / and an album that teaches you how to make and play a Dulcimer - including a thick booklet. Loving this !!!

Spare of John Brown Junior from boot yesterday / Jazz Carriers is killer Polish gear...Magazine is live,fantastic record / and a cheap bit of Brazilian...

Jansch sampler/Miles Davis with a lovely version of David Crosby's 'Guinnevere' on with some nice droning sitar in the mix / Ike Issacs - old school vulture job !! - Star Trek / Seals and Crofts - 2 or 3 lovely tunes on here.

Persuaders - enjoying this mellow soul effort / Exodus / first Scaggs album and Heart - Magic Man...doped out rock vibrations

Funky Fiddles [thanks mr D] and Rita Lee [thanks master thieves] / some Polish beat and some Hammond grooves [thanks sir melt]

Later press of Dion album with Purple Haze and more ... lovely record / Spare Elvis in Memphis - peak of his career IMO / Gramine - one nice funky track from Poland / Level 42 - debut - one fusion type instrumental that i actually think i like...shitraer shit.

Spare of this Polish Hugh favourite - great album...see review on here -
                            http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...hlight=tadeusz
                            an Italian album that promised the world - moog,flute,synths all listed - 50p wasted - anyone else been fooled by this !! / more Polish beat sounds...both recommended !

Some 50p 45's that i picked up at ten in the morning at the boot yesterday / James Brown's 'spinning wheel' delivers / nice Dells 45 too...being out in the field [so to speak] has been refreshing - on more that one occasion i went for my mobile to ring the oracle that was Neil Suddes...and then you remember - the knowledge is no longer with us
                            Last edited by Sie-Fly; 16-08-2010, 08:15 PM.
                            Rockwell
                            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Late July and early August has been an absolute belter! Found some top draw records; the sort of stuff that would get saved in a fire. Yes! that good. Better still all of this has come from charity shops (2 big hauls, one a very special score indeed), a record fair (where pretty much everything was a quid) and an enjoyable morning at the car boot.

But the best bit is that although these are all fortuitous finds they seem to be hitting exactly the genres and sounds that I most want at the moment.

And as I have found so many we can have the return of the infamous "stack shot". Ain't done this for a while.

Which also means that anyone can do a quick scan and if nothing pulls your chain you can jump straight to the next post.

Still here...? OK, buckle up. This is a bit of a vinyl thrill ride.

Let start with a couple of highlights....

Joseph Spence - Bahamian Folk Guitar (Folkways)
                              Samuel Charters field recordings of solo guitar work. This is jaw-droppingly good. Captured in 1958 Spence works through a set of extended folk/spiritual/blues pieces; only three per side. The playing ranges across a number of styles; sometimes simplistic and rhythmic, then intricate finger picking. Often you hear Spence wordlessly growling , sounding distant low in the mix, like a man adjusting to a fresh tracheotomy.
                              This is a sublime, beautiful record. This is what recorded sound was invented for.

Blind Boy Fuller - Volume Two (Master Sound System)
                              This is an acetate in a home made sleeve. The illustration and lettering are done in pen and ink. The logo in the lower right corner is that of Master Sound System. I have other acetates (mainly 78s) with their stock label on them. What I don't know is whether this is an acetate made in a studio, whether in fact it is a master recording or perhaps this was a blank disc that someone has cut at home. MSS, I believe, used to make disc cutting equipment - though I have yet to see any old sleeves with "home lathing" is killing music inscribed on them.
                              So, however it arose it is very beautiful object. Here is pic of the label.

Musically it is as you would expect. Country delta blues.

It has been quite a month for Acetates. The BBF cost a fiver from the record fair. These two were a couple of quid each...

Armstrong (below) has been collected and comped to the nth degree. But the disc above may well not be available elsewhere. It's actually a double acetate and includes the full show with introductions, some quite extended speeches on the history of jazz and even some interviews. Fortunately there was a typed insert with it listing the performers, Bechet amongst them. The sound quality isn't great; perhaps it might have even been cut direct to disc?

John Taylor, Norma Winstone, Kenny Wheeler - Azimuth (ECM)
                              Early ECM release dating from 1977. Beautiful wordless vocals from Winstone set to a Terry Riley-esque sound-scape. Breathtaking. Also notable as I found this in the bargain section of MVE in soho; which goes to show that persistence can bring things to the surface almost anywhere.

While in jazz vocal territory lets consider these record fair bin finds. Ostensibly two Billie Holiday LPs. The one on the left is a collection of broadcast performances some of which appear on the RARE box. The one on the right is much more enigmatic, the rear of the sleeve being given over to a short promotional essay on "ESP in 3D Super Stereo". No track listing, or anything. But the plot thickens. For a start both of these records are on ESP-Disk. And in the second is not the expected Billie Holiday LP but an ESP sampler. Here is the label...

Roswell Rudd - Flexible Flyer (Arista Freedom)
                              Jackie McLean - Jackie McLean (Steeplechase)
                              George Russell Sextet - At Beethoven Hall (Polydor)
                              Jill McManus - Symbols of Hopi (Concord)

The top three are all charity shop finds. The McManus was a 3 quid punt in Reckless (I think). Pretty enough, piano foundations with shakers and suchlike for the native american feel. The McLean, actually the debut release on Steeplechase, turned up on my own local high st. The Russell features Don Cherry to good effect. Haven't played serial 'bone abuser Rudd as yet.

More jazz...

George Wein and The Newport All-Stars - S/T & Tribute to Duke (Impulse & MPS)
                              Various - Funky Blues (Verve)
                              Verve jam date with every man and his dog on the rosta; Parker, Peterson, Webster, Kessel, etc. etc.
                              Kenny Burrell - Jazzmen of Detroit (BYG)
                              This has caught the attention of Casper the jazz-cat; probably as it is an aching cool BYG French press of what was originally a Savoy date. Lovely sleeve. Burrell on good form.

Joe Sullivan - Piano (Folkways)
                              Various - Dixieland Jazz in the Forties (Folkways)
                              Both record fair bargain bin finds so hard to refuse. Neither that remarkable from a music perspective.
                              Sleepy John Estes - 1929-1940 (RBF)
                              Blinding three pound boot sale find!! Spanking condition throughout. Made my day, this one. Even better than the sausage and egg butty with brown sauce. That man Charters (again) at the helm.
                              Dave Van Ronk - Sings... (Folkways)
                              This I found while on a short break in Cambridge with the family at the end of last month. It was from a dealer on a stall in the Market Sq, so not pence but well worth the outlay. Saw a lot of records on this trip but very, very few of any interest.

Johnny Shines - Sittin' On Top of the World (Biograph)
                              A record shop find. Attracted by the fact I had never come across this guy before and the fact that he had to borrow a guitar to make the record. Solid.
                              Various - Jazum 2 (no label PP?)
                              This is one of about 30 different volumes on offer for a couple of quid at the record fair. Most were swing or big band. This a little different. Side is one is Lonnie Johnson while side two is Clara Smith. So blues not jazz. All lifted from 78s, I guess. The liner notes are quite detailed. Interesting stuff from both. The most interesting bit is at the end of side one. Two tracks are given over to Lindsley Love (one a duet with Mick Martin) and are contemporary (1970) finger picked blues a la John Fahey. I reckon that the record was put together by Lindsleys dad; William C. Love. Love senior pens the sleeve notes which include this rather unfortunate choice of phrase "Lindsley has been exposed to Lonnie Johnson and Gary Davis in the flesh....". I have yet to Google these names or records; I wonder what happened to them. Did Lindsleys career take off? Never heard the name elsewhere.
                              Rev. Lonnie Farris - S/T (Eden)
                              Very limited re-issue of a very limited 1962 LP (I mentioned this one in another thread). The original was made by Farris Records, so safe to assume a it was a private press. Interesting, actually more country than the blues-gospel I was expecting.
                              The record without a sleeve is a copy of Blind Willie McTell - 1927-1935 on Yazoo.

So, moving in a gospel direction

Mahalia Jackson - A Mighty Fortress (CBS)
                              Machanic Manyeruke and the Puritans - S/T (Cooking Vinyl)
                              As you will see further on one of the big charity shops hauls provided a lot of world music. Mostly stuff from the big 80s/90s boom in the "genre". Nonetheless, many artists (under the patronage of Andy Kershaw or through other means) did get the chance to make some records or at least get their music distributed. This guitar-led Zimbabwe four piece may well be a case-in-point. So what, this is heartfelt african gospel telling stories of how Mr. Manyeruke found the righteous road.
                              Various - Saints, Orishas, buddhas and Deities (Soul Jazz)
                              Early Soul Jazz release and unusual in that it is a semi-original work; almost a concept album. Notable for the recordings of US evangelical radio stations. Not strictly a find.
                              Various - Catch My Soul (RCA)
                              Only played it through the once but I'm liking this. But then what is there not to like about Tony Joe White?

Andrae Crouch - Just Andrae (Light)
                              Rusty Dean - Country Gospel (Marble Arch)
                              Pretty much all of the country gospel LPs I have found have disappointed. Even the Loretta Lynn stuff can be a bit hard to digest. This is by no means great but it contains one good country soul stomper (just). And a label of love!
                              Various - The Gospel Sound Volume 2 (Columbia)
                              Top comp in the Revenant vein.
                              The Gospelaires - Camp Meeting (Peacock/MCA)
                              Reissue of the Peacock classic. Barnstorming performances.

Various - Luo Roots (Globe Style)
                              Ikhwani Safaa Musical Club - The Music of Zanzibar (Globe Style)
                              Abdul Aziz Mubarak - Sounds of Sudan Vol 2 (World Circuit)
                              Various - African Acoustic Vol 1 (Original Music)

More from the Oxfam haul. The pick of these so far is the bottom right. Acoustic field recordings Tanzanire, Zambia and Zaire. Most of the music being recorded in the musicians homes. Obviously not had chance to listen all these records in depth (the haul, of some 25 LPs, only happened on Saturday afternoon following a tip off); but the music of Zanzibar is proving to be the perfect backdrop for tonight's bar-be-que.

Ocora collections from Brazil, Yugoslavia, Greece, Iraq, Morocco and Northern India. Only needle dropped Morocco so far. The donator of these records was well into his world and ethnic sounds; a programme from Womad 86 fell out of one of these sleeves.

Mari Boine Persen - Gula Gula (Realworld)
                              Tabu Ley - Babeti Soukous (Realworld)
                              A last couple of highlights from the world stuff. Very pleased to get the Persen on vinyl. I've had (or at least did have) a CD of this for years. Always loved this sleeve image.

Now the americas...

The Morris Brothers and Homer Sherrill - Wiley, Zeke and Homer (Rounder)
                              The Osbourne Brothers and Red Allen - S/T (Rounder)
                              E.C. and Orna Ball - Fathers Have a Home Sweet Home (Rounder)

Mountain music. The last one here I have played through a couple of times now. Exquisite. On the back of the sleeve the two of them are pictured in 1938, with guitar and banjo, both whippet thin. This was recorded in 1976 and the notes describe it as "...consumate example of the calmnes, peace and beauty which give so much strength to a great deal of traditional music.". Now I just have to hear what they sounded like in '38! If you are even only slightly interested in stuff of this type then seek out this record.

Des Geyers Schwarzer Haufen - All Voll (Orchestrola)
                              German medieval folk-prog from a basement in Darlington. Not a good career move for Hall and Oates I fear...

Strange Creek Singers - S/T (Arhoolie)
                              John Fahey - Christmas Guitar Volume One (Varrick)
                              The Fahey catalogue is notoriously convoluted and difficult to navigate; which is a exactly how Fahey wanted it to be from what I can ascertain. One thing I know for sure is that this is not his first xmas LP, though it does share tracks with its predecessors. Also from the market in Cambridge. Pricey, but it was sealed.
                              Cal Hand - The Wylie Butler (Takoma)
                              Bought for the label and the Kottke production credit. Not good on first listen.

Two Firehouse Fives and a Rolf Harris - only remarkable as they are Canadian issues. The Charity shop lady said that she herself had donated these along with many other souvenirs from her years in Canada. Tales of hanging out with Sonny Terry and getting him to sign records (not the first person I've met who has mentioned nights out with Terry, he got around a bit) and how suprised with how quick they all went when she bought them to the shop. Hey ho.

Mary Wilson and Jennifer Gallagher - Children's Singing Games (Topic)
                              Also a boot sale 50p find. Lovely Topic from '69. recordings made at the Redriff Primary School in Rotherhithe in the eighth year of their Singing Games festival. I wonder if this continues to this day?
                              Broadland Singers - S/T (TRYGG)
                              Private or micro of a Norfolk church singing group.
                              Two For The Road - S/T (Pastiche)
                              Picked up half a dozen or so "working mans soul" bits in the hope of repeating the Cherry Tree Band success from last month. This has track called "drum solo"; it is the highlight, and it's not very high. oh well.
                              Paul Edwards - Longstone Farm (Cottage)
                              Duff. Sounds like Not the Nine O'clock news taking the piss out of folk.

This set also from Darlington. Never realised before that some of the records in this extensive collection are only pressed on one side...

How lovely is that?

Steam stuff mostly from Bewdley...

This is particularly special...

Spent many childhood summers on the beach at Goodrington. The track runs across the top of the beach. Here is my brother watching the same train in October '75.

A charity haul of gap fillers and upgrades. First two Mondays LPs not pictured.

Some kids stuff. The two "blue" 45s are Century 21 EPs of Troy Tempest and Thunderbird 2.

And one last thing. A Red House Painters double 10". Hardly remarkable but tucked inside was a review of the Mark Hollis solo album which you may be interested to see. Wish it had been a Red House Painters review dropping out of a Mark Hollis LP.... but mustn't grumble.

Last edited by piglit'n'rolf; 17-08-2010, 09:46 AM. Reason: typos and stuff

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

• WOW and double WOW , Sie and Piglet amazing finds well done , I was pleased with my finds but they seem to pale in comparison, still i'll try and get them up tonight

Comment

Working...
                                X