No announcement yet.

Finds - August 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooops... when you mentioned it as house I thought I'd double check it as the tape I have of it has it labelled as the Upbeat remix but it's certainly not house, and definitely not this one (which seems to be off the uk 7"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqaZh...eature=related

As I don't own the lp or 12, I'd just assumed it was a tweaked version of the original. Seems not though, now that I actually bothered to check it out, just the og mis-labelled
    http://www.mixcloud.com/garethhayes/
    http://www.mixcloud.com/BangShangALang/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/197897397221/

Comment

• Originally posted by the real hayes View Post
      Even worse: Double tempo

Comment

• From the bargain racks in MVE this morning:

Demis Roussos - Fire And Ice (early UK Phillips press)
        Tracey Thorn - A Distant Shore
        Julie Felix - Going To The Zoo
        Three Dog Night - Golden Bisquits
        (very weighty Indian press)

Comment

• i haven't posted finds for a while, i have got some records in August, but this week was hit again.
          in the beginning of month i went to Helsinki, i got great records from trades and thrift stores gave me also some nice stuff for me, but i really you'd care about it. i also didn't post all finds from Riga, and now i'm too lazy to search them out again. highlights were three jazz albums. Tõnu Naissoo "Turning Point" estonian trio jazz album from 1980, it was bit mythical record, i had only read about and seen ebay auctions, but never seen it. now found it in big stack of usual crap at market. it's quite typical piano jazz, one track has nice rhodes sound, highlight of it. and from vintage clothes store got REO "Džesa Ritma" - R. Pauls related instrumental jazz record, i had it before, but with bad scratch. and "Utverzhdenie" LP, played by jazz dons Nazaruk, Kusnetsov, Isplatovskii and Chernyshev, there's version of "Alfie" etc.
          Last week I bought Arsenal second LP "Created with Their Own Hands" with picture sleeve, I haven't seen it before, unlike debut, which thankfully is better.

On Monday.
          Second hand musical instruments store was opened near my home, by pictures it seemed to be full of accordions and I don't play any instrument anyway, I didn't care about it. When I passed store on Sunday, I saw records on window. Next day I went there and saw freshing stack of records. From singles I got russian version of Apache and Moldavian beat. One LP had some interesting yeye stuff and then these two Lithuanian pop albums with incredible covers (music was only boring):

Yesterday.
          I went for walk through some markets. Before stepped into thrift store. At first I see Kraftwerk Minimum Maximum DVD for €1.28. Which is totally weird, why would someone here give it to reusing center. It's also exciting, as I saw them on that tour in Tallinn. Also bought there Pesniary 2nd LP with great pic sleeve.

Other records I bought later from market, one old lady had her records there two of interesting ones were compilation of Leningrad instrumental groups, only jazz, there's Goloshekin and other. I think it's pretty nice, I guess I have it already. and then Cuban instrumental easy listening album. Orquesta Cubana de Musica Moderna "Cuba, que linda es Cuba". again i already have it, it's not really funky, but quite a few uptempo tracks, i like it. i made clip of title track, but there's even better tracks. it's for trade/free for good home, who can appreciate this kind of music.

From thrift store I went to nearby market, which I visit frequently. Last week there was quite a lot new records, but nothing of interest or very scratched. Day before I had passed this stall with singles, I didn't stop, because I had seen them and bought few. They were mostly new to me, but from 80s, which isn't promising. So yesterday I stopped to look at them and woman says she has big ones too. As some sleeves are wet, I guess they might have been there also day before, when it was raining. Thankfully most of them have pvc covers, which was really thoughtful, when I saw what I found:

Osennie Rimy 83 from Leningrad Jazz festival. I have seen them before, they are not very rare, but thought I'll buy them. i found i have number 1 already, second has Tõnu Naissoo, also nice scat vocals track by T. OganesyanBut then:
          Bumerang group "Ornament" what a find! this has been in my want list long time. Bumerang first album I found few years ago, but this supposed to have smaller edition, really rare. Now that I have it, I think it might have two presses, one from Tashkent and other from Leningrad. anyway, it's great jazz fusion with elements of eastern music, beautiful stuff, from Kazakstan, recorded in 1984. great find + near miss + thanks for sleeves!
          fourth record on picture is also from same stack by Russian 80s group Akvarium, it's mostly boring new wave rock (there isn't even synths), but it's cult group, also rare release. something for grip&flip. though it was without sleeve and covers was still wet.
          Last edited by priima; 20-08-2010, 04:43 PM. Reason: added clip

Comment

• Originally posted by Melter View Post
            Picked up the very same ESP sampler a few weeks ago in that sleeve which is a bit strange as I thought the sleeve and record didn't go together. The cat number on the spine doesn't match the record. Also the track listing for the sampler is I believe supposed to list all the side one tracks on the rear of the cover with side two tracks listed in a separate booklet/pamphlet which I found in my copy. Very strange
            If you search it on popsike it does come up with a different sleeve. But two in the Billie Holiday sleeve is more than co-incidence, surely?

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

• i allready found some nice bits in my stepdads attic two years ago.
              the last weeks they reorganized it and threw away many things so i went through it again today and found this:

pretty interesting swiss folk/prog double lp incl. the poster and all inlays.
              just needle dropped it so far but it seems to have some nice flutebits and moody guitar and fx parts.
              i was well excited finding this as i knew of its rarity and its actually the first time i've seen it in 3d.
              and it turned out that my stepmother went to an artschool with one of the musicians. they were a bunch of friendly freaks she told me (quiet fascinated) and after the school they all went in different directions. russia, england etc...
              they sold the lp at the school. my stepmom wasn't that much into progressiv or folk music at the time but bought a copy anyway.
              it then became a mystified object in her lp collection which she thought, was just and outstanding and special record.

anyway, its in my hands now
              Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                That top left Gary Lewis LP has my favourite version of "Me About You" out of the dozen or so I've managed to hear. Eat it Gandalf!

Along with this totally fab pop song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXPa-hUWeHU

Comment

• It would appear that someone local is sweeping out the trappings of their teenage years and donating them to one of the local charities.

It's nice to find on vinyl precisely the things I was buying on CD when I first started seriously getting in to music in 1994/95.

Dr Octagon - Instrumentalyst
                  The clautrophobic psychosis of this album is lifted a bit by taking Kool Keith's unhinged lyrics off the top

2Pac/Dre - California Love
                  It would have been rude not to

Orbital - Satan Live
                  When I was 14/15, me and two other mates clubbed together to get all three of the CD releases of Satan. This one is the live package split over two 12"

Tricky - Overblown
                  Despite Maxinquaye being flogged in every achingly smug twentysomething drama of the mid 1990s this was still an enjoyable listen

Pulp - Countdown
                  This was the odd-one-out of the batch. I assume it was donated by the same person, despite being musically very different and a good few years earlier then the other stuff.
                  I'd forgotten what a good track this is and gives an early glimpse of Jarv's later Kraut leanings

Portishead ahoy!
                  I'm hoping the second album is going to magically appear in the box soon, given the donation of Over and Only You (no All Mine sadly )

Instant Massive Attack collection
                  Doubly delighted to find Mezzanine. Not only is it an astonishingly good album but it seems to command a few quid on the 'bay

Since I decided to knock the record fair on the head given my raging hangover I was quite pleased to find this lot waiting for me in recompense
                  ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                    As Geoff says I don't think that Kornfeld LP is that good.
                    Thirded!

Comment

• Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                      Paper Bubble - Scenery (Deram) Also in stereo, a nice clean copy of this late 60's pop LP. I'm not sure about the standard of songs on here....I kinda agree with Galactic Ramble's review. Nice harmony/arrangements but nothing really memorable after two listens....I'll stick with it. Love the sleeve though!
                      I think "Mother Mother Mother" is a monster monster monster!

DC5 has the *dancefloor killer* "Dr. Rhythm" too.

Comment

• Just a few things recently acquired in trade at one of the friendliest spots in town:

- Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - having recently picked up and enjoyed the wonderful Pickwick reissue of Brasil '65 (a.k.a. So Nice), I thought I might find this interesting but no.

- two late 1960s Mose Allison comps on Prestige

- not sure about the Leon Russell yet

- the Jesus & Mary Chain has been a fave since someone found a tape of it on the sidewalk and gave it to me years ago

- the Bobby Bare has a good version of "Houston" and a few other solid tunes

- the Trini Lopez is pretty cool though I guess the gimmicky production might wear thin after a while

- Some Of The Best Hits From California has decent exploito versions of "Eve Of Destruction", "Little GTO", "Surf City" and the likes

- Jimmie Spheeris' previous three LPs all feature some of the floatiest, most blissful, hazy, drugged-out, laid-back songs ever. This one from 1976 is dedicated to L. Ron Hubbard, so I'm a little reluctant to play it right now. The shop was glad to see it go, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crawdaddy Simon View Post

- the Trini Lopez is pretty cool though I guess the gimmicky production might wear thin after a while
                          As I recall he does one or two fun soul covers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                            As I recall he does one or two fun soul covers.
                            Definitely, plus it's produced by Boyce & Hart for that bubblegum feeling, which maybe is how it should be approached.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackRegent View Post

Portishead ahoy!
                              I'm hoping the second album is going to magically appear in the box soon, given the donation of Over and Only You (no All Mine sadly )

Instant Massive Attack collection
                              Doubly delighted to find Mezzanine. Not only is it an astonishingly good album but it seems to command a few quid on the 'bay

Since I decided to knock the record fair on the head given my raging hangover I was quite pleased to find this lot waiting for me in recompense
                              Bristol in a box!

Don't have the sleeves for those Portishead 12's myself, I think I've only got them as promos.

Very nice haul!
                              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• found these today at a local boot,not much coming out..

birds n brass-soundsational
                                longdancer-if it was so simple
                                sbb-welcolme polish synth/rock
                                maryla rodowicz-byl sobie krol polish 80,s folk
                                Attached Files
                                ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

Working...
                                X