No announcement yet.

Finds - August 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit sparse in EH this week records wise - tons of festival goers about though. Nowt from the boot today but most of this came off the market yesterday and two PO arrivals.

One arrival was this excellent 45 - nice 2 sider. I see the LP goes for £££ is it any good?

Some nice Reggae LPs - the Pablo is a JA orig and was well cheap so I'm chuffed! The Lloyd Chalmers had the wrong LP in the cover (granted it was a rare trojan comp in there but still..) fortunately I bumped into the dealer this morning and got a refund plus got to keep the record - anyone got a spare 'Flight 404' sleeve and 'Reggae is Tight' vinyl Ken Woodman nabbed due to chart listage on here - very good indeed - never had a sniff in the wild! The title track on the Bonfa is excellent - glad I picked this out of the £1 box now. Ms Hardy's 2nd LP - bit rough (the LP) but great version of 'It's Gonna Take Me Some Time' and there was sleeveless copy of her first tucked inside too.

These were all pretty much makeweights in deal terms - the Adamo has a couple of good dancers on it but not the sitar track which Matt Hero played me once - can anyone tell me what Adamo is decent? Second sighting of Dr Octagon in the finds this weekend - Blue Flowers 12' a spooky fave. Bobby is going to my daughters boyfriend. The Xian thing on reflection is a spare - couple of good beaty tracks including a Louie Louie soundalike. The Captain Noah is also a spare - illsickxianbraekz.

Last edited by LDJB; 22-08-2010, 02:24 PM.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Great finds as usual Lee mate.
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• @Lee

Dr Octagon "Blue Flowers" 12' a winner indeed...

John Otway and Wild Willy Barret - - I've probably not heard that LP in twenty years - some where I have a tape of session off the beeb with them doing some odd cover version - Zeps "In my time of dying" being one
        "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• early booter for me this week, havent been to many this year, chuffed to find a few of these on the second isel of the booter all in the 50p boxes

chuffed to finally have the sounds like cornwall lps
          instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

• nice finds Eric. I rate that Bram Stoker - Heavy Rock Spectacular - it gets a bit of a slating in various places though - tough to pull too.
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
              nice finds Eric. I rate that Bram Stoker - Heavy Rock Spectacular - it gets a bit of a slating in various places though - tough to pull too.
              yeah its kinda like the power of the picts lp, but not as fast, sounds pretty good on first listen
              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

• Friday, we were playing away to Dundalk, and I had a wizard plan to do a CSC on both sides of the border in two currencies..... came to nothing because the charities in Newry and Dundalk were equally barren. I had a plan B however: the antique market in Carlingford, where I found the first two - the Small Faces is basically a reissue on Virgin of the first Immediate LP, plus a couple of singles. I'm surprised at how much I like the KC - given that it features Adrian Belew and a Chapman Stick. Nevertheless, a lot more interesting now than much that is contemporary with it.

Yesterday, a trip to Wexford: the Rock Steady of '69 was from a Car Boot sale outside Gorey, the rest from a stall in the indoor market there. He has good stuff, and prices fairly. Loving the Singers and Players, especially Prince Far I's tale of 'Bedward' as long as I can avoid thinking of the eponymous hero's near namesakes.... The Bob Kuttruf is a total mystery; sort of late '70s 'street rock' - google draws a blank. The Terry Reid is a See for Miles reissue of 'Terry Reid' plus singles.

These are from today: Mongrel is a Fame reissue, Hymns Tijuana Style was something I'd never heard of, but knew my questions would be answered here.

A surprise - two mint copies each of BoC's Hi-styles and Aphex Twin Pic disc Analord 10 - they were the only 4 records the guy had ?! obviously a spare of each...

Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

• Raiding party

So had a trip out of Cornwall last week for a few days while some of you were probably down here clearing the place out and thought I'd see how many charities I could get away with visiting along the way without the kids rebelling and trying to wreck the joints. Not wholly successful what with the slim pickings and the dubious pricing strategies employed by some places but found a few.

Liskeard - records bought 0. Found a guitar shop that does a small amount of rock records but nothing for me. Just down the road was also an antique shop that we avoided entering as you couldn't see the floor nor the ceiling with the stuff rammed in there, add to this the musty smell wafting out of the door and it would take a brave soul to venture in in search of vinyl.

Okehampton - records 0. Nice town though and would visit again.

Tiverton - records 4. Stayed with some friends here for a couple of nights. The Oxfam there had a collection of jazz fusion of the likes of George Duke, Stanley Clarke, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, etc. Didn't want to take a chance on too many as they started at £2.99 and in case they were all a bit insipid so left plenty behind.

Topsham - records 1. Interesting little place this with a public open-air swimming pool.

Exmouth - records 2. Saw there was small music shop here that does some vinyl but didn't get chance to take a look.

Taunton - records 0. Another place we'd probably check out again as only had an hour here.

Bridgwater - records 2. Quite a few charities here. Can't say I'm enamoured with the town though.

Burnham-on-Sea - records 0. Again a few charities but not a lot else going on unless you want to visit the smallest pier in England.

Worle (near Weston) - records 0. Stayed with friends nearby otherwise would never have come across this place. Despite its size think there were 5 chazzas here. Nothing to be found though.

Bristol - records 0. Spent the day here or rather At-Bristol which for those that don't know is a science/learning centre with lots of fun things to do. Especially liked doing the stop-motion animation stuff in the Wallace and Gromit section. Managed to move beyond there for an hour though only got as far as the indoor market but did manage a quick visit to Wanted Records and the place straight across from there. Definitely got to go back sometime and have a good rummage.

Bath - records 3. Final destination on the way back home and love this place. Had great fun with the kids trying to find the decorated lions dotted around the place. Think we found 18 in the end (and 1 pig which seems to have been left behind). You'll have to visit to find what I'm on about.

Returned home to some postal finds from the same seller (last pic). Not had chance to check all of these out but liking some of them already.

Herbie Hancock - Monster (CBS)
                  Herbie Hancock - Man-Child (CBS)
                  McCoy Tyner - Tender Moments (Blue Note reissue)
                  George Duke - A Brazilian Love Affair (CBS). Great album.

The Young Idea - With A Little Help From My Friends (MFP)
                  Blood, Sweat and Tears - Comp (Hallmark)
                  Elvis Costello - Armed Forces (F-Beat)
                  Chaquito/Alan Haven - Latin Sounds for the Small Hours (Fontana). Suckered in by the first track called Witchcraft with the chance of some great rhythms but was ultimately meh!

Anne Murray - S/T (Capitol). Bit too country for me.
                  Janis Ian - S/T (Verve Forecast). Great trade from Sie. Loving this record.
                  Janis Ian - Aftertones (CBS)
                  Sigi Finkel - Nil (Die Muhle). Nice sax led jazz.
                  Paolo Achenza Trio - Ombre (Schema). A little bit too acid jazz in parts but overall some nice tracks here.

Gary Burton - Good Vibes (Atlantic)
                  Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu (Atlantic)
                  Johnny Harris - Movements (WB)
                  Scott McKenzie - The Voice Of (CBS)

Comment

• Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
                    Yesterday, a trip to Wexford: the Rock Steady of '69 was from a Car Boot sale outside Gorey
                    Nice version of Tramp on there, if you didn't know it already. Nice find from a car boot. The pressng on my copy doesn't sound that great though.

I love that B.O.C. ep too, one of their better releases. Which issue are they? The originals used to go for a lot of money back in the day, should still get you a decent trade though:

http://www.discogs.com/Boards-Of-Can...es/release/236
                    http://www.mixcloud.com/garethhayes/
                    http://www.mixcloud.com/BangShangALang/
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/197897397221/

Comment

• Originally posted by the real hayes View Post
                      Nice version of Tramp on there, if you didn't know it already. Nice find from a car boot. The pressng on my copy doesn't sound that great though.

I love that B.O.C. ep too, one of their better releases. Which issue are they? The originals used to go for a lot of money back in the day, should still get you a decent trade though:

http://www.discogs.com/Boards-Of-Can...es/release/236
                      Liking the Rock Steady a lot. The BoC appear to be 3rd/ 4th pressing going by the info in the discogs listing.
                      Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

• Finds from market and carboots Thurs -Sun.

Integration is blinding,on first listen,and grasping for points of reference,it reminded me of the Quasar album Man Coda.Happy to find Soul Construction.

Up early Saturday and first through the door of a local charity shop.

Russian re on An Trop out of St Petersburg.The Ebony 12 is Cats and Jammer Kids. The 45s are Zombies St Loius Union Respect Edwin Starr 25 Miles Soul Children.

Also found this for £10. A Hacker cabinet housing a Garrard 35SB. Any advice on a suitable stylus appreciated.

record licker

Comment

• Market buys and a poor record fair with about 7 dealers. Lots of things I already have that appeared to be in better shape but play with some awful clicks at times, hence my reviews are of condtition rather than musical content in most cases

Tony Joe White - Continued (Monument) VG+ fave. This has some background noise throughout....why?? it looks mint

Steve Miller Band - Recall The Beginning....A Journey From Eden (Capitol) Mint up apart from a bleedin' awful mark that clicks loudly for a minute on a quiet section!

Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On (Reprise) Appears to be a clean mint up for cheap but this has a few annoying clicks. I do like this LP.

Bobby Goldsboro - The Voice Of Honey (Liberty) Pound punt. Couple of OK pop moments. Decent cover of Ruby Tuesday. Still, may return it to charity land.

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (Buddah) Visual mint up but one really annoying mark at the start of side 2 which will have me wondering if I should just stick to my old copy.

Curtis Mayfield - Sweet Exorcist (Curtom) This is clean but I already have a clean copy so spare.

Minzoto Ya Zaire - Zaire Folk Pop (Arcade Records) A Belgium/Dutch? release from I don't know when. Crap apart from the last 2 tracks that almost get funky but don't as there's a lack of guitars and heavy drums. Still OK.

Michel Colombier - Wings (A&M) Happy to get this for a quid although the cover has water damage. Black Sheep sampled this to great affect.

The Just Four - Girls Of The World (Genius Of Rap & Breaks) (Grand Groove) Nice early 80's disco rap over....you guessed it.

Untitled Tommy Boy promo 2 sided 12" ....this might be 3D - Tommy Boy Megamix but it's slightly different to the one on youtube and my LP is out of reach for comparison.

Joe Loco & His Orchestra - Pachanga Twist (Imperial) Mambo stuff. Not my bag at all and off to the charity this will go (it's warped as well).
                          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

• Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                            Michel Colombier - Wings (A&M) Happy to get this for a quid although the cover has water damage. Black Sheep sampled this to great affect.
                            this features some brilliant music (in parts)
                            Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

• Originally posted by effi_deep View Post
                              i allready found some nice bits in my stepdads attic two years ago.
                              the last weeks they reorganized it and threw away many things so i went through it again today and found this:

pretty interesting swiss folk/prog double lp incl. the poster and all inlays.
                              just needle dropped it so far but it seems to have some nice flutebits and moody guitar and fx parts.
                              i was well excited finding this as i knew of its rarity and its actually the first time i've seen it in 3d.
                              and it turned out that my stepmother went to an artschool with one of the musicians. they were a bunch of friendly freaks she told me (quiet fascinated) and after the school they all went in different directions. russia, england etc...
                              they sold the lp at the school. my stepmom wasn't that much into progressiv or folk music at the time but bought a copy anyway.
                              it then became a mystified object in her lp collection which she thought, was just and outstanding and special record.

anyway, its in my hands now
                              Looks awesome - & great story too. Have you had a chance to listen properly yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by Campag Record View Post
                                Market buys and a poor record fair with about 7 dealers. Lots of things I already have that appeared to be in better shape but play with some awful clicks at times, hence my reviews are of condtition rather than musical content in most cases

Tony Joe White - Continued (Monument) VG+ fave. This has some background noise throughout....why?? it looks mint

Steve Miller Band - Recall The Beginning....A Journey From Eden (Capitol) Mint up apart from a bleedin' awful mark that clicks loudly for a minute on a quiet section!

Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On (Reprise) Appears to be a clean mint up for cheap but this has a few annoying clicks. I do like this LP.

Bobby Goldsboro - The Voice Of Honey (Liberty) Pound punt. Couple of OK pop moments. Decent cover of Ruby Tuesday. Still, may return it to charity land.

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (Buddah) Visual mint up but one really annoying mark at the start of side 2 which will have me wondering if I should just stick to my old copy.

Curtis Mayfield - Sweet Exorcist (Curtom) This is clean but I already have a clean copy so spare.

Minzoto Ya Zaire - Zaire Folk Pop (Arcade Records) A Belgium/Dutch? release from I don't know when. Crap apart from the last 2 tracks that almost get funky but don't as there's a lack of guitars and heavy drums. Still OK.

Sounds like everything you bought had marks Nige mate.
                                "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Working...
                                X