Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Benicio Del Toffo View Post
    Monthly round-up from me.

As usual, I've been mixing the online with the real world, though I didn't get out to many booters in July as there were a couple of weeks where the weather was pish and at least one week where I was on a self-inflicted comedown/pyschological armageddon.

But anyway, here goes:

The above were mainly gleaned from my second stab at the CSC, apart from Julie Felix which I got at a booter. The Scots Guards LP has decent versions of 'Live And Let Die', 'Mission Impossible' and 'Hawaii Five-O'. The Brian Bennett LP is a comp/two-fer of the 'best' bits of 'Change Of Direction' and 'Illustrated...', never even knew it existed to be honest. Will probably stick it in the trades pile.

This lot is a mixture of trades with Mr Pencilface (first two), Dusty was a cheapie off eBay, bottom row were all from Rob's a couple of weeks ago. Well chuffed with the Bob Seger LP, later pressing or not, the tunes are ace. Not that fussed by the Ford Theatre LP, certainly not as good as the 'Trilogy For The Masses'.

Most of these were from a quick bit of charity action in Newark. Couple of VV/VG+ classics up top. The TV Themes LP was a new one on me, but has some mad funked-out disco-fied versions of staples like 'Starsky & Hutch', 'Professionals' and 'Rockford Files'. The JCS 12" I've mentioned in the relevant thread elsewhere and the Shanghai is a spare bit of UK funky/rock/breaks business.

Of the above, the Mike Sammes was a chazza find (and has already been re-homed via the board), the Button Down Brass LP came off eBay, the other three were from Grantham market (the Arrival 'S/T' LP is a spare).

These lot all came from the same chazza as the Mike Sammes LP. Think I did some re-homing with these as well. Well chuffed with the mint Adam Best, this means I now have a lesser copy going spare.

Found copies of the next three jazz efforts in a chazza in Newark and traded them on Grantham market about an hour later as I knew I wasn't going to listen to them:

And those trades, plus a bag full of random late 70s/early 80s soul-funk that I was clearing out, plus some other odds and ends and about £30 in cash saw me toddling home with the following selection:

OG of Le Planete Sauvage - wicked LP as I'm sure 99% of you already know. Lovely jazz/soul from Newban, with 'Greenburgh' still being the killer, years after I first heard it - pretty chuffed with an OG of this anyway. 'Interesting' soul/rock from Mama Lion, you can definitely hear similarities to the Merryweather and Carey LP. My The Band fixation continues, I would say this is their second best, just behind their self-titled album. The Carol Deene I picked up due to Babs Moore's involvement. Not sure about the tunes, I would imagine Jeanette will find this on her doorstep one day . And the Wild Magnolias just takes me back to my early collecting days of funky comps......record lists...........Steps Ahead in Leicester.......buying owt with afros and flares on the cover.....jumpers for goalposts..........can of Top Deck and a pineapple Mivvi..........a game of 'tiggy off ground'......ahh, so long ago. Decent LP anyway.

And the postman dropped these three off last week:

The first two should be plenty familiar round here. The other LP, for those that don't know is by The Feminine Complex and is fucking awesome. All-girl group of psych/garage/soul/pop persuasion, total killer which you should scour the net for right away. The kind of thing that Jack White would release on Third Man if they were around now. I mean, fuck's sake, this tune even has some Eddie Hazel kinda licks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4yBZ-TxYc

Top recommendation.

And I reckon that's about it for now.

Oh and I got the Black Keys CD, which I think is a great return to form.
    Shit that Newban is a find and a half! Still to bag myself a copy of that

Comment

• Originally posted by cellardweller View Post
      Nice one! It's as great as I recalled

Don't remember the beginning being like that though
      "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

• Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
        Lee - apart from the sitar track, there's only one I rate but sure there must be more. Il Y A Juste Un An builds to a Gainsbourg-y beat-t thing. There's also an Italian version that I have on an Italian LP.
        What's the sitar one called Jim...and where can I find it - I'll list up the decent ones off that LP later if you like?
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• I've not posted anything up here in a while mainly due to finances but this month I've spent a little on some stuff that I've needed ticked off the list, others I needed doubles of and a few spawny local finds.

The first pic are all cheap internet buys

The twelves are John Davis "I can't stop" and Ramona Brooks " I don't want you back"

These were all found locally, doublers except the Electro Harmonix lp which I now need a second one of if anyone can help?

Local finds again , loving the break on the mickey lp

Sorry about the shit photo, the Melvin Bliss and All Directions 45s were cheapish online buys and the rest were local finds - Winstons "Amen brother" , Jean Shy " Speak!", Bill Dogget "Honky Tonk" , Crown Heights Affair "Dancin'" and Bobby Byrd "I know you got soul"

The T Bottoms 45s are by a new band on Frank Raines new label and is quality new funk, the rest were local buys - Rufus Thomas " the Breakdown", All points Bulletin "Funky bottom bottom funk", The Crusaders "A ballad for Joe Louis", Louis Ramirez " Salsa", Karen Young "Hot Shot" , First Choice "the Player", JB's "The Grunt"

Comment

• Originally posted by geoff whitfield View Post
            [IMG][/IMG]

stoney island band - self titled - average disco/soul
            If your looking to trade it I'd take that off your hands, great tune imo
            Last edited by Rich Hero; 26-08-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• Sort of NRR....

"Found" this 8 Track on the doorstep today ...cartridge is still shrinkwrapped !

I'm bang into 8 Tracks since my CD player fcuked up - Hendrix, Traffic, Tull, Isleys, Marvin Gaye....10cc !
              Attached Files
              "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

• I was given a really nice 45 yesterday -
                Manfred Mann & Mike Hugg - The Michelin Commercial Theme (Go Radial, Go Michelin). It's very groovy.

There is a Ski Yogurt one too?
                I have a very particular set of skills...

http://www.paybacksoulfunkjazz.com

Comment

• little trip (800 km) with my father from one side of country to other and few spots visited (and many avoided), including best record city in Estonia. two big wants off my wishlist!

visited antique mall/market. i went there few times last year, but in the end nothing new came in. so it didn't look better this time, though there was young guy checking records. he bought thankfully common crap like S*ndr* - M*ri* M*gd*len* melodiya issue. so i look into this new looking pile and nothing interesting comes out. i look at singles and second one is nice surprise.
                  Jaan Kuman - Estraadipalu some of you have heard "Ratastel" on blue burt xmas cd. incredible jazz funk in form of "dance music" from Estonia released in 1975. Ratastel and Kirsiõite tolm. i found it now first time, there's now only one LP with Kuman group to be found. hopefully there will be interview with him soon.
                  Gunesh - Devushka other interesting singles i saw were those Abba/Gunesh split flexis. Gunesh was from Turkmenistan and it's great Turkmen funk, available in some blogs, including radiodiffusion. flexi i found has only second track from this link.
                  it was usual that Melodiya marketed some minor local acts with split flexis, when on other side was some well-known western artist.

two days later visiting different towns, including my favorite city for records.
                  best spot looked hopeless nothing new, then some interesting looking polish classical records and then... bang
                  The Collage Singers - 1st LP, 10 years i have hoped to find Collage records and now I have completed my task. it's not just rare, it's a great record!
                  also bought Laine 1983 album, Estonian disco classic (well, probably best disco record), maybe it's soon near you on disco swap cd. and estonian pop songs comp from 1970, including few nice Marju Kuut tracks and this organ groover joke song, i really can't decide if it's great or not, i still like it
                  another 7" on pic is also rare Estonian single with great Uno Loop and Marju Kuut tracks. there's two other by them, but i see them more often, this one has probably most beautiful song by Marju. my friend has hated me since i found it last year, it was totally unknown record for us. now i can stop those death threats.

we arrived to last spot in small town 45 minutes before closing time and just hen i stepped in, i saw someone looking at records! exactly same thing happened last time i was there - someone was there before me. this time some young boy was there with his old parents, who recommended him "good estonian songs". it was fun, but it was annoying to wait. i didn't find anything.

PS yesterday, quite late in the evening i went to market, one lady had again new records. i got there 7" version of Alla Pugacheva "Sonet". yes, this one from dusty fingers comp. LP with this track is everywhere over here, but this single was new one for me, nice for novelty value. also got early 60s classical 10", including early work by great Arvo Pärt. all Melodiya records with his work are pretty rare.
                  Last edited by priima; 27-08-2010, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Collage found natively!

You have my unending respect (and envy!)
                    ...if in doubt consult your dealer.

Comment

• Is their stuff rare? - i have this one...takes some getting into but then it hits you / genius sound going on !!
                      Rockwell
                      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Originally posted by flytipper View Post

Is their stuff rare? - i have this one...takes some getting into but then it hits you / genius sound going on !!
                        big fan here, since Tom B put something by them on his Xmas mix a few years ago. Seem to remember Viva Chiba finding a copy in Soho for cheap as well. One day, the entire Collage oeuvre will be mine.

Comment

• Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                          Is their stuff rare?
                          well, maybe rare is wrong word, but really hard to find over here. everyone who would ignore turkmen funk, would buy Collage record. i know dealers have copies available, but they don't sell for reasonable price. i guess Collage still sells for big money on ebay.
                          it was cheap, 1.28€ find. i have known about Collage 10 years and during last years i have been digging furiously and it's first time i found it.

Comment

• Couple of bits for me / think the camera may be on it's last legs but these are my highlights this week -
                            Slab of angst ridden garage psych / some UK freak rock and a groovy instrumental from Moe...

Not pictured Cliff Bennetts Rebellion album [was expecting this to be amazing - it's not ] / Sheep on Myrrh records [one ok ish track ] and a copy of this - loads better than i was expecting - great trippy Airplane like folk / psych...

Bought far too much Xian gear recently / Brightwater looked liked it was going to be fantastic - will i ever learn?
                            Rockwell
                            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Originally posted by Daddy Ya Ya View Post
                              "Found" this 8 Track on the doorstep today ...cartridge is still shrinkwrapped !

I'm bang into 8 Tracks since my CD player fcuked up - Hendrix, Traffic, Tull, Isleys, Marvin Gaye....10cc !
                              nice one!

However - a word of caution. In most carts the sponge pressure pad disintegrates and can easily fall to bits in use,leaving sticky residue on the tape (which wrecks it) - older 60s sprung metal ones are usually ok though.

see here for how to replace it.

the splice where the two tape ends meet also tends to break - you can buy splicing tape on ebay or from canford. Do not be tempted to use sellotape!

HTH and sorry if I'm preaching to the converted
                              "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Comment

• Originally posted by eclectiktronik View Post
                                nice one!

However - a word of caution. In most carts the sponge pressure pad disintegrates and can easily fall to bits in use,leaving sticky residue on the tape (which wrecks it) - older 60s sprung metal ones are usually ok though.

see here for how to replace it.

the splice where the two tape ends meet also tends to break - you can buy splicing tape on ebay or from canford. Do not be tempted to use sellotape!

HTH and sorry if I'm preaching to the converted
                                Thanks - much appreciated !

I have tried some repair work on some crap cartridges, just to see how difficult it is. I know the sponge disintegrates and I think the rubber capstan rollers can turn to black sticky goo.

A friend said the tapes do stretch as well - not certain how much of a problem this would be ?

Steep learning curve !
                                "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Working...
                                X