Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finds - August 2010

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
    That Miracles EP is a ridiculous find - well done sir!
    amazing find, booked at £200

    nice one D7
    YouTube

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DerekJ View Post
      A decent haul for a change the blue note lp's all og's all £3 each - result the others between £1-£3

      Derek
      Some lovely thing there - depending on condition, you did very well indeed!
      Last edited by d7bohs; 30-08-2010, 01:33 PM.
      Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

      Comment


      • Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
        Some lovely thing there - depending on condition, you did very well indeed!
        With the Jazz lp's some of the sleeves are a bit tatty but the condition of the vinyl is vg+ or better.. Very rarely see any jazz at my local boot sale.

        Derek

        Comment


        • This Friday I went out with Headless Mermaid before Crillo. And this is a story about how it may not be wise to know very little about lots of genres than much about 1 or 2.

          He pulled out a record and showed me. Price: £5 about. Super-psychedelic crazy sleeve and I thought YES YES. Turn it around and see "Tyrannosaurus Rex" + Marc Bolan - I think glamrock NONONO and put it back in the crate.

          Then I think - I have no clue what they sounded like in the beginning so for educational purposes I should give it a needledrop at the listening station. And then it's YES YES YES. Having no real clue as to the records worth, but I guess it should be worth at least £15 so there's no argument that I shouldn't buy it because the pricing can't be bad.

          I bring to counter and see frown on shopkeepers face - "where did you find this?". I answer and he calls another guy from the staff and shows him the label - "look, it's first press too...".

          And in the end I buy this + Doug Carns Adams Apple (for proper price) and Henry Mancinis Mr Lucky Goes Latin (for 80p from cheapie bin) and even though he's full aware he's giving me the T Rex for a bargain he lets me have it and Doug Carn for the price asked on the tag - AND gives me the Mancini for free.

          I thought such things couldn't happen in record shops - but it did!

          And before you go bonkers over the find let me pull it down a little bit - no insert, sleeve VG+ and record VG+ to EX so no top copy. But still... I used to dislike that shop because it was so over-priced but I've started to change my mind and now I deffo love it. Not for the find but because they didn't go "oops, yes that one has the wrong pricetag you know - it should read £50 instead...." as has happened to me on occassion in other shops. Fair go for those who realize their mistake though, I don't blame those shops. But I certainly give credit and will come back more often to a shop who lets the customer just have it.
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

          Comment


          • Some great finds been posted up! I wanna go to the same booters as Kenneth and Sie Flytipper

            Been away up on the east coast of Scotland so had a dash around Montrose - this small fishing town was either once a centre for Studio 54 style disco action or some kind soul is spreading his collection over the few charities there are - a small definite concentration of disco 12s / LPs in each -most of it a bit whipped or too cheesy but I did pick up a few obvious classics to move on - Chic, Sister Sledge, Cerrone, Moroder etc.



            The other good thing about Montrose was that it still employed 'proper' charity shop prices - nothing cost me more than 50p so.....



            Never had the CTI comp before - very selection on it. The PP is poor except for a nice run through 'Apache', Tinkers are too trad for me. Scooby Doo is a spare and the '1970..etc' is Xian MOR thing - couple of almost Free Designy moments...almost

            This lot were from EH this morning - on the whole pretty shite. Avoid the Richard Myall like the plague - I was suckered by the 'cream of the crop' UK sessioners on it. The Candlers and Winklers were grabbed due the recent post on the VV/VG+ classics thread - they do have their moments (great trippy strings through effects bits and moog dotted about the place) and at 25p each I suppose I should be less sniffy but his MASSIVE string sound is giving me a headache! Heard better by Mancini and the Paramor has a version of 'Aquarius / LTSSI' thats starts well but ends up hohum. GLad this lot were less than a packet of fags all together.



            Some better stuff now - inevitably most of this was via the PO - many thanks to Sie Fly for the Wozniak and the Fugs - much appreciated. Music Machine I've been after since Craig played it to me - superb LP - not a duffer on it. Finally a Hallo No5! Marvelous Electra Combo track on this amongst other goodies. Taste and Ten Wheel Drive were pulled form charies this morning - lumpy blues rock and wannabe Big Brother IMHO



            ..and only one 45 this week but it's a good 'un and I paid well under the going rate

            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LDJB View Post
              Music Machine I've been after since Craig played it to me - superb LP - not a duffer on it. Finally a Hallo No5! Marvelous Electra Combo track on this amongst other goodies.
              Pleased you grabbed one, now it's Nige's turn!

              Great finds as usual Lee mate.
              "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                Pleased you grabbed one, now it's Nige's turn!

                Great finds as usual Lee mate.
                They only did the 2 LPs yeah? Any non LP 45s I need?

                Not all great finds mate by any stretch
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

                Comment


                • Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                  They only did the 2 LPs yeah? Any non LP 45s I need?

                  Not all great finds mate by any stretch
                  I'm pretty sure they only did two LP's Lee mate. They did some later none LP singles I think, plus some solo stuff by Sean Bonniwell on single too.

                  Ive got a great article about them in 'Ugly things' magazine, I should try and did it out.
                  "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

                  Comment


                  • Just got back from holiday in the wilds of northwest France: hadn't entertained any hopes of bumping into any wild vinyl, but on the day before sailing back to blighty, we were out for a walk (to the west of Pornic), and chanced upon a fleamarket in the small village of Sainte-Marie. Amongst the bric-a-brac was a dealer stall (with everything priced up individually), and a couple of record/comic stalls. The princely sum of 3 euros netted me the 7"ers below. There were many 60s/70s French picture sleeve 7"ers about which I hadn't a clue songwise or artiste-wise. Nothing with a Gainsbourg/Colombier/Vannier credit though ....



                    Rotation - "Ra Ta Ta"/"Rotation" 1970: Annoyingly this has a hairline crack - but plays OK, with the instrumental eponymous b-side being the favourite on this one

                    Silicon Teens - "Red River Rock"/"Let's Dance" 1980: French Mercury label, issued to promote the album, by the looks of the label credits

                    Majority One - "Because I Love"/"Get Back Home" 1971: Brit band relocated to France after 8 UK single flops between 1965 and 1968 as The Majority (although backed Barry Ryan on his hit "Eloise"). Had some success in France in the early 70s. A side is a slow ballad, B-side is the winner with the faster fuzzed-up tune

                    Anarchic System - "Popcorn (vocal)"/"Popcorn (instrumental)": Hadn't heard the vocal version before ...

                    Chaps - Candy (Musique originale du film Candy: "Constant Journey"/"Ascension to Virginity") 1971: Glad I took a punt on this, a great double sider, both tracks composed by renowned film music composer Dave Grusin

                    A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSA38SLbME
                    B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_deTqZSZDE
                    OK: ready; let's do it ...

                    >>> Hobbies Of Today - RU12 EP: Unreleased South Yorkshire Post-Glam/Proto-Punk from 1977 <<<

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post


                      Rotation - "Ra Ta Ta"/"Rotation" 1970: Annoyingly this has a hairline crack - but plays OK, with the instrumental eponymous b-side being the favourite on this one

                      Silicon Teens - "Red River Rock"/"Let's Dance" 1980: French Mercury label, issued to promote the album, by the looks of the label credits

                      Majority One - "Because I Love"/"Get Back Home" 1971: Brit band relocated to France after 8 UK single flops between 1965 and 1968 as The Majority (although backed Barry Ryan on his hit "Eloise"). Had some success in France in the early 70s. A side is a slow ballad, B-side is the winner with the faster fuzzed-up tune

                      Anarchic System - "Popcorn (vocal)"/"Popcorn (instrumental)": Hadn't heard the vocal version before ...

                      Chaps - Candy (Musique originale du film Candy: "Constant Journey"/"Ascension to Virginity") 1971: Glad I took a punt on this, a great double sider, both tracks composed by renowned film music composer Dave Grusin

                      A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSA38SLbME
                      B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_deTqZSZDE
                      Great finds, a few classics in there mate.
                      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by e3sa934 View Post
                        Anarchic System - "Popcorn (vocal)"/"Popcorn (instrumental)": Hadn't heard the vocal version before ...
                        Vocal version is nuts isn't it, in a heavily medicated, I will drawl along to Popcorn style.
                        Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                          Pleased you grabbed one, now it's Nige's turn!

                          Great finds as usual Lee mate.
                          Indeed. Just as well I'm keeping off the bay at the moment or else we would have been bidding against each other.
                          "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

                          Comment


                          • You know how it is. You're wandering around the car boot bemoaning the fact you have had no real joy for weeks when one car justifys all those early mornings.
                            One of the last guys to turn up produced the 48 singles and 10 lp's and 12" pictured below and all of my favorite genre, punk and new wave. This was not all that he had but I should have had more money in my pocket. There are some that I have already and others I've never heard properly like Danielle Dax and Test Dept. The Dead Can Dance is music I've never got into and these have been passed on already. There is one ebay item pictured below to be accurate (the pistols interview 7").
                            What was interesting was that the seller said he had 4 more boxes at home of similar stuff that he may sell but he's not phoned to arrange a viewing as yet.






                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by korova View Post
                              You know how it is. You're wandering around the car boot bemoaning the fact you have had no real joy for weeks when one car justifys all those early mornings.
                              One of the last guys to turn up produced the 48 singles and 10 lp's and 12" pictured below and all of my favorite genre, punk and new wave. This was not all that he had but I should have had more money in my pocket. There are some that I have already and others I've never heard properly like Danielle Dax and Test Dept. The Dead Can Dance is music I've never got into and these have been passed on already. There is one ebay item pictured below to be accurate (the pistols interview 7").
                              What was interesting was that the seller said he had 4 more boxes at home of similar stuff that he may sell but he's not phoned to arrange a viewing as yet.
                              Nice haul - haven't seen the Test Dept for many years! Did you get his number?
                              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

                              Comment


                              • Looks like a good weekend all round, records brought out by the sunshine, I reckon!

                                Picked up a fair bit myself - three car boots over the weekend, came back with about 80-odd LPs and 30 or 40 45s. A lot of it is destined for the shop, will sort out and post up the more interesting/unusual and keepers when I've recovered from the 6am starts Sunday and Monday...
                                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X