Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
    This was sitting in a local shop for like £4 for a looong time:

But I just never bothered listening to it.

Then I go to Crillo and hear a great track from it (cheers Jonathan if you're a-lurking 'round here).

And now the record is sold.

So I go to a thriftshop browsing the James Lasts and crap. And... find a copy for 75p thank you very much vinyl gods!

Insane version of Summertime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrhcQcAJSI

And surreal greatness in my 2nd fave, Temptation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Qr2Pr089A
    I love Billy Stewart! His version of 'Everyday I have the blues' is a killer too!
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
      I love Billy Stewart! His version of 'Everyday I have the blues' is a killer too!
      that version of Summertime is a VG+ classic, well loved by many on this board. i envy you hearing it for the first time, Mattias. It always gets a great reaction when played out (in fact, I seem to remember Jarredjazz getting very excited when I played it a couple of months ago).

cheap and easy on a UK or US 45.

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrachoocka ck.....

Comment

[QUOTE=Brainbomb;392630]

QUOTE]

Yes, pretty great album. We had it in my childhood home forever but the goofy cover put we off for years as well.

Comment

Top morning out at yesterday's car boot, even after three-and-a-bit hours sleep and a slightly sore head. Not much competition for some reason, which is always nice!

Nice classical bits...

Some great old-timey country, a Takoma I haven't played yet, classic swamp-pop compilation from the much-missed Charlie Gillett, Cajun comedy, and WTF? ...

A mixed bag here - Otis Spann on Decca is excellent set from 1964, two Pet albums I didn't know - the Memphis LP is pretty nice, actually. Hookfoot and Deep Feeling will need further investigation.

Most of these I wouldn't normally have bothered with, but the condition on all of them is amazing, so had to grab them...

I particularly like the design of the Pye Hitmakers LPs, and 'Beat Girl' is a classic!

Some random 12's and the 'Some Bizarre' sampler (not sure how that will stand up these days!)

Couldn't resist these...

35 country tributes to Elvis, all from the time of his death, and one other record - 'The Stripper' by David Rose. Must have been a hell of a party!

Some more 45s...

"Norwegian sing songs" by the Troll Keys is not, unfortunately, full of freakbeat monsters.

Very pleased to get the Matt Monro 'Honey on the vine' popcorn 45 - been after one of these for a while, in a fairly half-hearted way, so result there! Alex Harvey 'Midnight Moses' is a bit tatty but a great 45. Steeleye Span nice to have on a single.

Top row oddities - I thought Flying Brix would be a punk single, but it's actually a great DIY EP from 1980, with a couple of lovely downer acoustic tracks. Don't suppose anyone's got a copy of the insert?

Secret Troop is an obscure 1985 indie private, reminds me a little of Killing Joke. Anyone know the story of the Casual Four 45? Two nice but tame r'n'b covers, looks like a CBS pressing from the label, on the 'Specially Made For Us' label...

Another mystery...

Extrax - female vocal synthy thing from 1983. Ungoogleable, any ideas?

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
            that version of Summertime is a VG+ classic, well loved by many
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpliHvyRhuM

Comment

Originally posted by carryonsidney View Post
              finds this sunday, includeded a bag of shouty punk records, inc "Get your woofin dog off me"
              The Jerks. Shouty punk Leeds classic. On Airebeat?
              record licker

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                35 country tributes to Elvis, all from the time of his death, and one other record - 'The Stripper' by David Rose. Must have been a hell of a party!
                Oh man, there's got to be some goodness in there! I think it was Amino who played me track of some guy telling a tale about how he bought Elvis a coke way back and it was the highlight of his life... maybe it was off a cd from a Waxidermy swap??
                http://www.mixcloud.com/garethhayes/
                http://www.mixcloud.com/BangShangALang/
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/197897397221/

Comment

Picked these up from the local charity shops, nice to see something new in them for a change.

Trini Lopez - At PJ'S - Reprise
                  Zaccarias & His Orchestra - Dance The Bossa Nova - RCA
                  Al Stephano & His Trio - Latin Dance Carnival - Mayfair
                  Patsy Peters - World Of Country Music Vol.5 - Decca
                  Francoise Hardy - Best Of - 4 Corners Of The World
                  The Shakers - Breah It All - Audio Fidelity
                  Oscar Peterson - Reunion Blues - MPS
                  Johnny Ventura Y Su Combo - El Turun, Tun, Tun - Fonograma
                  Martinho da Vila - Martinho da Vila - RCA
                  Jose Feliciano - January '71 - RCA
                  Blood Sweat & Tears - 3 - CBS
                  Sly & the Family Stone - Dance To The Music - Direction
                  Sandie Shaw - Sandie - Pye
                  Lenny Welch - Two Different Worlds - Kapp
                  National Orchestra & Singers - Latin Songs & Rhythms Of Puerto Rico - Ultraphonic
                  Judy Collins - In My Life - Elektra
                  Osmonds - The Plan - MGM
                  Kurtis Blow - America - Mercury
                  Peter & Gordon - Lady Godiva - Capitol
                  Santo & Johnny - Come On In - Canadian American
                  The Sandpipers = Guantanamera - A&M
                  Ravi Shankar - India's Master Musician - Fontana
                  Attached Files

Comment

Some cool finds!
                    John S - liking some of those odd bits and bobs!

From my aforemention find, need to rid some surface noise, but very shocked and happy to find this....I have a couple of leads to follow and hopefully can convert to tokens.

Some 45's that I don't have to hand, but mainly LP's of late....
                    Boot sale bargains.......

The best quid I have spent this week, very brooding and quite 'dark', really feeling this LP. I reckon others would dig too...

More boot sale stuff, the Gil Melle LP is a late Blue Note and is pretty good in parts.

Not checked the Greek LP, again cheap punts and VG+ classics

tucked away in a boot sale box was this 70's mailer with a local school address

record still inside thankfully.........

More cheapies, quite a lot of 12" action along the same lines. Didn't think the Acid Jazz LP would have held up very very well, and apart from the UFO track it didn't on first listen

Don't usually picture purchases, but been after this for a while. A great listen, fairly heavy on the violin in places, but in a good way.....

A repeat here of the Family LP's, the Mark Almond was booter, the Baby Huey was a purchase, long time '95 WOF want related.......

Quite a bit more VG+ stuff, Suite London for 50p on Sunday was nice....

Boned out dude

You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Got these at southend rec fair on sunday which has now moved to the second sunday of the month,
                      The Rationals-S/T,this had a press release enclosed which was a nice bonus,great lp and known on here i beleive.Top detroit rocking action.

99% pop-Tele music libe. not bad but nothing amazing on here,sounded better on my portable at the time

Glass menagerie-frederick jordan, pye 45. this wasnt exactly cheap but a lot cheaper than ive seen it go at.

The Sheep-Hide and seek.Stateside 45 new one to me must say and not a bad beat twangy thing.

The Mersey Beats-Fortune teller,Fontana. Nice vers of this benny spellman tune and simlar to more than the tony jackson one.1st 45 by merseys why didnt they carry on in this vein.

Went past local boot on route to fair but didnt bother going in as ive got fed up with not finding jack there this year which was a big mistake as when i arrived at fair as i was selling also and got there a bit too early the organiser of the fair turned up a short while after me with a find of a lifetime from said boot with amoungst others cosmic eye on regal zonophone,masters apprentices arm chair cover lp,tea and symphony jo sago on harvest, a load of white labels without covers inc syd barret and mad river which look like test presses These were all unplayed aswell apperently the guy selling them was a record exc in the early 70's.
                      I felt a bit sick for not going to boot for the first sunday this year and that happens,could of been worse i spose as he could of pulled them in front of me if id went.
                      Nice bloke though so thats something.

To console myself on the way home from fair popped in charity round the corner from me which is open till 4 on sunday and found of all things a nice polish lp that ive been after,
                      Krzysztof Klenczon-Trzy Korony,Pronit.Nice nick an all 50p
                      Took the edge off it slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                        that version of Summertime is a VG+ classic, well loved by many on this board. i envy you hearing it for the first time, Mattias. It always gets a great reaction when played out (in fact, I seem to remember Jarredjazz getting very excited when I played it a couple of months ago).

cheap and easy on a UK or US 45.

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrachoocka ck.....
                        Just to add to the love of Billy Stewart "secret love and fat boy can cry"
                        are 2 more I really like

Comment

Great to everyone still finding the goodies at the boot fairs.
                          John -I agree on the Pet in Memphis - some really nice tracks, love the 6t's comps,only ever see them beat to f**k.
                          Nice finds on the Kent comps, only ever come across 1 at boot fairs, the club soul is one of my faves in the series.
                          I got a few bits at the boot on sunday and will post up when I can
                          there was a box of about 100 classical lps there all near enough mint,but I would not know where to start, to be honest I would be only picking them up to sell on, any kind soul with any tips on classical labels, names etc.

Comment

Lewistown - does the Shakers LP have "one wonderful moment" on it?
                            That track used to get played in the early days of Northern soul,the record sounds blue eyed, I have it on UK ABC.
                            Are they the same group?

Also the Lenny Williams - run to my lovin arms is a top draw beat ballad
                            top find

Comment

Originally posted by kenneth View Post
                              The Sheep-Hide and seek.Stateside 45 new one to me must say and not a bad beat twangy thing.
                              I'm thinking you must have a mispressed version with a Shadows track on it, cos Hide and Seek by The Sheep is a 'facemelting deranged garage pounder of the highest order with lots of shouting and gibbering'
                              "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe M'geek View Post
                                I'm thinking you must have a mispressed version with a Shadows track on it, cos Hide and Seek by The Sheep is a 'facemelting deranged garage pounder of the highest order with lots of shouting and gibbering'
                                Yeah thats the one, wouldnt say it was that good imo, but my description didnt do it justice.

Comment

Working...
                                X