Finds - August 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kratgraver View Post
    Went to Groningen with the family for my birthday, so Mr. Sayers here are a few finds .

St. Tropez Octett Jazz goes Swinging ... Seen it a few times here on the forum heard it was pretty good, first time I found one, indeed this does have some good tracks, found some interesting info on laid-back

http://www.laid-back.be/blog/?p=3232

‘Jazz Goes Swinging’ is the title of a late sixties record by the St. Tropez Jazz Octet, a different name for the Belgian Johnny Dover Octet. Their sound is often compared to the Clarke-Boland Big Band style, which I can understand, but certain record dealers want to make you believe that Sahib Shihab played on it to raise the price, but that’s not the fact. Information on who the players were is hard to find, and a lot of speculations have been made. I know for sure that Johnny Dover, Alex Scorier, Freddy Rottier and Marc Moulin are on the record, and although I don’t want to speculate too much, I’d dare to make an educated guess by saying that the rest of the personnel included Nicolas Kletchovsky, , Richard Rousselet a.o. (indeed, all of them would later play with Placebo).
    It was me who wrote that article. Somebody else has been kind enough to provide the right info of the players:

Johnny Dover (ldr,ten,bar,fl); Herman Sandy, Nick Fissette (tp); Pol Delannoit, Roger Desmet (tb); Alex Scorier (ten,fl); Marc Moulin (p); Georges Wellens (b); Freddy Rottier (dms).
    Recorded in Breda, 22nd December 1968.
    http://thejazzkid.tumblr.com

Comment

• ?!

I've seen and heard Filthy Rich blow up the dancefloor with that VW LP - it is a monster!

I found one rather interesting LP today. . .

Bonkers avant garde landmark (apparently) on Tangent from 1970.

Pilfered from Rockprof's manor whilst the guv'nor was in Kingswood. A lot more interesting than expected - loads of weird sounds and atmospheres, all played on glass (bottles, panes, mobiles. . . ) - apparently Ms Lockwood also taught electronic music. Much of this sounds like music concrete, except it isn't.

Idiosyncratic yet stimulating (some of the vibrations and dynamics on the LP were really booming out of the speakers) and a new 'un on me.

The rear cover illustrates some of her unorthodox methodology . . .!

Last edited by Viva Chiba; 14-08-2010, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
        Nice find! Filthy Rich has got this - and I saw one in Intoxica for £100!
        Jeeping fuck..!

It's a bonkers album - "Plutonian Pogo Stick" is an almost-cover of The Upsetter's "Straight To The Head", imagine if you will that it had been re-recorded by Jean Jacques Perry...

A really decent charity shop find...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• ERIC WINSTONE Plays 007

Reference the above Album by Eric Winstone on the Avenue
          International Label, if you get to decide to trade it, please let me know.

Thanks.
          Greenwalk77
          Gordon Melville U.S.A

Comment

• SUPERSONIC SOUNDS Eric Winstone on the AVENUE Label

If you get around to wanting to trade the above mentioned record Eric Winstone Supersonic Sounds on the Avenue Label.
            Please let me know,

Thnks

Greenwalk771
            Gordon Melville

Comment

• Do you mean you want to trade something in return for that Eric Winstone LP?
              Not sure I got what you were after here?
              To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• hit a couple of suffolk bootsales as my luck has been amazing recently on the digging front. i got a lot but no way too check till tuesday..any info would be appreciated apart from teh obvious stuff pleas help me eliminate turds so i don't have to carry rubbish back on the plane ..xx
                deep breath
                lps
                georgie fame-sweet things (pete rock surfboard mix drums 20p)
                swingle 2 (windmills of my mind will hopefully be ok)
                chi lites s.t brunswick
                green man (private press pub rock.hopefull the honky tonk got them drums)
                buddy rich-class of 78
                herbie mann-turtle bay
                jazz piano quartet-let it happen
                millie jackson-get it out the system
                phoebe snow-2nd childhood
                alberta hunter-remember my name ost
                clodagh rodgers-s.t(ian green arranged)
                clodagh rodgers-it's different now (keith mansfield)
                clodagh rodgers-midnight coldagh (ian green)
                sounds like soul (fontana)
                peter knight-keyboards of the knight
                ray mcvay-ole mcvay (mas que nadea,scarborough fair,let the sunshine in)
                al green-still in love with you
                roger richards-hammond hits
                new world s.t(on rak any good?)
                easy listening special vol 1 (windmill spectro stero dimension)wot the crack with this label? any gems
                the keating sound-straight ahead
                allan caddy orchestra-love songs of the world
                kensington pops orchestra-love songs of the century
                thomas muskat-hammond party
                johnny pearson-sleepy shores
                hammond hits (jungle feve wan)
                klaus wunderlich with covers of magic fly,sunny and other discoey bits)
                spotlight on john williams
                equals -greatest hits
                dr murray banks-what to do until the psychiatrist comes.(i deffo need this _)
                godley and creme greatest hits (promo_
                12s
                roy ayers-heart of the beat
                staggard-love is so easy
                azymuth-jazz carnival
                beggar and co-somebody help me out
                evelyn thomas suite/danielle/lipps inc
                i left a zapp computer love 12 somewhere

45s
                tommy james and the shondells-mony mony
                earthquake-chartbusters
                john davis and the monster orchestra-up jumped the devil
                julie covington-only women bleed
                james brown-the payback mix part 1
                the javells-goodbye nothing to say
                lydia murdock-superstar
                gary toms-blow your whistle
                the sos band-just the way you like it
                monie love-shame (i have no shame in liking this _ )
                tonight-drummer man
                tonight-money thats your problem
                teena marie-behind the groove
                sector 27-total recall
                delfonics-didn't i blow your mind this time
                one way-music

aaah
                Last edited by Snoop God; 16-08-2010, 09:36 AM.
                https://soundcloud.com/vapor-teh-apparition
                https://soundcloud.com/don-pachi-aka-bling-laden
                https://soundcloud.com/charlie-chong-snoop-god

Comment

• 2 for me this weekend

and

i went looking for cybermen figures but didnt find any
                  instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

• Originally posted by cancer scabies View Post
                    clodagh rodgers-s.t(ian green arranged)
                    clodagh rodgers-it's different now (keith mansfield)
                    clodagh rodgers-midnight coldagh (ian green)
                    So.... she done anything good then? Always had a hard time taking her seriously... grew up watching that cycling tour of cornwall documentary too many times, I think...
                    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Originally posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
                      went to st leonards near hastings today with my parents..went in about 10 chazzas,mainly shite,but came up this..

colonel elliott and the lunatics"interstellar reggae drive" uk rhino
                      Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
                      Nice find! Filthy Rich has got this - and I saw one in Intoxica for £100!
                      Or you can buy one here for £12.00.

http://www.reggae.co.uk/index.php?ma...ducts_id=24864

£100 is well overpriced!
                      Last edited by Saint Jude; 15-08-2010, 05:43 PM.
                      it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
                      take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                        So.... she done anything good then? Always had a hard time taking her seriously... grew up watching that cycling tour of cornwall documentary too many times, I think...
                        Dunno what the albums are like, and I haven't seen that documentary (link?)- but I think some of her singles are great late sixties girly pop.

Come back and Shake me is great, and I massively prefer 'Biljo' to the oft gone on about flip, Spider...lovely pop tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJM55ZleIQ
                        "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe M'geek View Post
                          that documentary (link?)-
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Coi86g8bxE8

Comment

• Apart from Spider which is great, her version of Nilsson's 'Together' is nice lounge funk with wah-wah and strings.

A big record shop here has decided to 'do' vinyl again, so big release of stuff yesterday. I worked in a bar night before so didn't get up til three hours after opening, wasn't expecting anything but found these, ~fiver each:

Jackie Lomax - New Day/Fall Inside your Eyes (apple)
                            NCB copy, a bit warped but plays fine.

Jackie Lomax - Sour Milk Sea/The Eagle Laughs at You (apple)

Woop. Killers and one off the want list.

1910 Fruitgum Co - Hard Ride (buddah)
                            Woop again. Another want but didn't want to pay US postage and ebay price for it. Heavy! The Thing and Creations Of Simon rocks. Hard.

John Fred & His Playboy Band - Permanently Stated (paula)
                            Never seen a sixties cover this glossy, nice. Been listening a lot to Agnes English lately and somebody recommended this here a while ago. Lovely psychpop mixed with the usual blue-eyed stuff. Great.

I left some LPs as I didn't have much money on me, they had a full set of John Fred LPs. Will I like the others if I like the aforementioned ones?
                            Also the New Colony Six LP with a genie lamp on it, is it as syrupy as the song titles suggests?
                            http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
                            http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
                            http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                              one of them has a cover of under the boardwalk too.. interesting song choices and those arrangers made me think there would be at least some interesting sampleable moments if not any full blown good tunes

come back and shake me ,spider,together and biljo are indeed contained within these lps so these will come back to edinburgh

oh my mum took the piss out of me for buying them.. i also found a working vectrex with 13 games,overlays and 2 controllers for £22.50 i gave it to my mum to sell on ebay tho cos we need money for christmas festivities..as a game freak it saddens me but it is for good...
                              i never thought i'd find one for cheap at a bootsale it is amaizinnnn
                              Last edited by Snoop God; 15-08-2010, 07:17 PM.
                              https://soundcloud.com/vapor-teh-apparition
                              https://soundcloud.com/don-pachi-aka-bling-laden
                              https://soundcloud.com/charlie-chong-snoop-god

Comment

• Originally posted by Bud Peyote View Post
                                A big record shop here has decided to 'do' vinyl again,
                                bengans?

Comment

Working...
                                X