November finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LDJB View Post
    There is, of course, a total different version of 'the Hanged Man' on a later Alan Tew LP where he sort of 'discos up' the tune but not too much - it's a nice version.
    Bet that's the same version as this single, although it has 1975 on the label. There's just a bit of phasing between the channels that I didn't hear on the LP version, but will check them again tomorrow. Any idea what that later Alan Tew LP is?

I bought it from was a very nice French chap who said he'd just found it on a digging expedition to Italy and was selling his finds off. Sounds like a good way of having a holiday.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• Originally posted by eine View Post
      Bet that's the same version as this single, although it has 1975 on the label. There's just a bit of phasing between the channels that I didn't hear on the LP version, but will check them again tomorrow. Any idea what that later Alan Tew LP is?

I bought it from was a very nice French chap who said he'd just found it on a digging expedition to Italy and was selling his finds off. Sounds like a good way of having a holiday.
      Its on this LP http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALAN-TEW-Close...item45f6b4f5c4
      I don't think its this version as its been said already this versions been discofied, plus its on a different label to the single version and from 1978 not 1975.

Comment

• November, December, whatever... meant to put these up some time ago, but circumstances conspired. I've taken the bloody pictures now though, so here they come.

I hardly bought any records for the first half of November. Just these while on the way to get a shower curtain from Homebase:

The Beach Boys is an MFP reissue of the 1965 All Summer Long LP – a stop-gap for me until the real thing comes along, but sounds great anyway. (I know I could get these on CD, but, well, I don't really need to explain, do I?)

Flanders and Swann: Orig 50's pressing (I left behind a second volume on the basis that it was a 70s copy... what a snob) Very jolly! Features The Hippopotamus Song and other delights. No songs about wanking though.

That kept me going for a bit, and it was nice not to buy so many records that I couldn't actually listen to any of them.

Fortunately for pictures-of-records lovers, that evil urge began to take hold, and halfway through the month I found myself thinking “Gosh, I've hardly bought any records at allthis month... I'll just pop out and get a couple....just one or two...just as a little treat”

In an uncool variation on the topic of not owning various easy and obvious classics, I snapped up SoM (for the wife, you see), which has become a huge hit with the under-three's chez nous, and F Mac, which is rubbish and reminded me why I never bought it before (the wife thought so too). I had record fever though, so it wasn't my fault. Why else would I buy a copy of Winston Churchill's speeches? (The next day the same chazbert had Tusk in, which I heartily poo-pooed.)

The In Harmony record is kids' songs by Americans from the eighties. It has a Billy Joel song on it that I'd never heard of, and is otherwise (and possibly inclusively) quite rubbish.

The JM Jarre was a fave when I was a nipper. I now learn that, like all his LPs, it has one good hit and lots of dull swooshing.

Ball, Barber and Bilk I thought might be quite fun, as part of my occasional dips into layman's jazz tackle. It's okay, like.

Still, enthused by the heady rush of buying records I don't really need or want, I made a detour via 20p Land on the way home, and discovered that they'd just had a big job lot of dancey business in (a DJ disposal, presumably). My dips:

Particularly pleased with Tone Loc – features The Fine Line Between Hyper And Stupid, which is a class piece of droning vocoder nonsense.

Also pleased with this techno classic – bit knacked but still sounds lovely on vinyl.

That kept me happy for a bit, but one will go on idly flipping, won't one? Was going to leave this after spotting on the way to the library to do some work in peace, but the library was full and a peek at their out-of-date RRPG had it at 40 quid, so back I popped

Obviously I will neither sell it nor get 40 quid for it if I did, but it has a few big classics and pleasant filler, so that's nice.

Couple of random what-the-hell-why-nots:

The violin chap is reasonably desirable according to the usual sources, and is indeed very good. The Flying Pickets... well, maybe it's the time of year, but...it seems to be actually flippin' ace...

After that I made my decision to make December a record-purchase-free month - and therefore felt a last quick snaffle was in order, just to tide me over.

Charry Garrys:

Actually from a proper second hand record shop (cos I wasn't going to buy any for a while, so the “expense” (ie still not much really) was justified):

I still have time on my hands, y'see... Sevens next!
        Yes, but I haven't got it in mono

Comment

• And the little ones:

A large box of sleeveless sevens had been apparently thrown through the window of the local bargainorium, landing roughly all over the floor in the vicinity of the big records. Among them were these:

Also yanked for v few p in this month, a nice hand of reggae smashers:

pleasingly random hits selection here:

And ones actually in their sleeves, which I have put into vaguely themed pairs.

I know most of my “finds” (my definition: I found them) aren't excitingly rare or valuable, BUT...they make for an excellent disco.
          Yes, but I haven't got it in mono

Comment

• Originally posted by rickyvilla View Post

Particularly pleased with Tone Loc – features The Fine Line Between Hyper And Stupid, which is a class piece of droning vocoder nonsense.

YES! a truely great record mate!
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Working...
            X