Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 2011 finds

Decent enough start of the new year

Not my pics. Joe Gordon is mono, Hutch is a light blue, deep groove promo.

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Decent enough start of the new year
    Nice!

Personally I'm holding back a bit saving my money for the dual record fairs around our part of the world in the beginning of february.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

first day back at work so a quick trip to the record store was in order - and a lovely sunny day it is too for a stroll uptown.

found a nice trio of 7's...

Candi Staton: In The Ghetto/ Sure as Sin (Fame)
      Barrabas: Mellow Blow (short and long versions) (Atco)
      The Three Suns: The Touch/ Southern Star (RCA Vic) - boasts cool bursts of Dr Phibes keys to puncuate a rather creepy accordian riff and seems to have come from radio stock. someone's scribbled 'instrumental (terrible)' on the sleeve - I'm liking that very much.

so well worth the effort.

right, back to pretending to do stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanP View Post
        someone's scribbled 'instrumental (terrible)' on the sleeve - I'm liking that very much.
        In the Swedish Radio archives at some point someone in charge was very elitist when it came to music - it had to be art for it to be OK for casual airplay, so all the easy listening and exotica records where marked with a skull warning sign so someone looking for something to play on their show would know what to avoid...

Comment

All from Charity Shops in Sheffield and Cheltenham and the Sheffield Record Collector bin:

Human Chain - Cashin' In on EG Editions: spun this a few times and enjoyed it, but don't know how long it will last.

Great Western Themes - The Lusty Sounds Of The Old West by Billy Strange, His Guitar and Orchestra: Exploito Westerns with gun shots and horse rustling sounds between tracks. Billy Strange seems to have cropped up a few times on here? Any recommendations? There are no killer tracks here, but plenty of fast-paced twangy orchestral grit.

Bootsy's Rubber Band - This Boot Is Made For Fonk-n

Bestiary of Flanders and Swann

Two Sides Of Paul Mauriat - wherein one side boasts Vangelis, Donna Summer and Boney M covers whilst the other holds interpretations of Mozart, Bizet etc. Two sides of a complex personality? The classical bust and the polo neck...? Sunny and I Feel Love are pretty good, actually.

The World Of Kings - Has got the sublime David Willcocks/Roy Goodman recording of Miserere on it.

Concrete Cows

Angels and other BBC themes: Not seen this before. Boasts some heavy-hitters. Scaffold, Liver Birds AND Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Mister Hitler AND Life is the Name of the Game AND Holy Mackerel (Rugby Special).

Larcange Plays Becaud on Phase 4: Very high quality lounge this, based around the accordion. it may sound like a terrible concept but has received repeated plays and I am definitely keeping.

Naná Vasconcelos - Bush Dance - This is my favourite find - drum machine/humming/singing work outs from Brazilian percussionist. Quite beautiful. Press release inside tells of him touring with break dancers. Recommended. 20p!

Hot Chocolate - Cicero Park

The Del-Byzanteens - Girl's Imagination - Fine, strange new wave rhythmy synthy 12". Appears to be Jim Jarmusch's band - anyone know anything?

And from Vinyl Vault Xmas Sale:

The Best of Mike Nesmith contains tracks from his early 1970s albums some of which I have heard on Jakartajive's chart here. Thanks! And John Keating is surely an ambient purchase from spending too much time here... glad I've got it.
          Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I found a copy of Brave New World -Oh calcutta! for one Euro. Its mostly boring pop and not at all like the Aldous Huxley one.

All the Wolpertingers

Comment

check out 'much too soon' - lovely psychpop moment on here...
              Rockwell
              Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                That's one hunky chunky funky jazz album. Has "First Thing I Do in The Morning" on yeah..? Marvellous. Great find...
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Guess I didn't hold back completely because Wednesday off work saw me goin' out for some digging and coming home with:

Captain Beefheart - The Spotlight Kid

Stomu Yamashtas Red Buddha Theatre - The Soundtrack from 'The Man from the East'
                  Some art pieces that somehow reminded me a bit about of the artier side of krautbands like Can or Faust - when they make more sounds and soundscapes than proper music and also a couple of Jap-style mood pieces and more prog-rock moments that at times are a bit groovy and even with some jazz influences. So a bit of a trip through different styles and sounds listening through this one. Listen:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLbuS...eature=related
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym1Fy_8zu48
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvEmm...eature=related

And then an online-punt arrived:

Eyes of Blue - Crossroads of time
                  Did not disappoint - early prog affair from 1968 that sound more like r'n'b/psych with some very clear influences from classical music and jazz than most early prog bands. Hell - maybe this isn't even prog but it's got enough elements of prog not to be straight 60s rock. Prog lite?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auOjq-hq1Ns

Comment

Despite my best intentions ....

..... I still managed to nab these five this morning from a little nose around my manor.

At least I'm still sticking to the only-real-world-buys policy thus far this year!!!!

Plus, they were all dirt cheap as well, which helps my justify my transgressions a little.
                    To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Loving that Dion mate and 1000 thanks for the CD - Sounding amazing
                      Rockwell
                      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                        Loving that Dion mate and 1000 thanks for the CD - Sounding amazing
                        Wow! Glad it reached you so promptly.
                        There'll be a Volume Two along before that much longer!

It's my VG+ mission for this year, to start cataloguing all my random country-ish grooves.

The Dion is great.
                        Gotta Get Up is a masterpiece.
                        To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                          I found a copy of Brave New World -Oh calcutta! for one Euro. Its mostly boring pop and not at all like the Aldous Huxley one.

I like this LP.
                          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Just not what I expected.
                            All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Originally posted by Cacapo View Post
                              Just not what I expected.
                              it's shite! don't let them wash your brain!
                              Autobahn vas ein Monster: here she is, mit 7 others

Comment

Working...
                              X