Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flytipper View Post

polish pop EP from Wislanie 69.
    Well done on that 'Przeboje Nonstop', always knew about Romauld & Roman's 'Bobas' on there but when I finally got one realised that was only one of many killers on the LP...many not on other albums either.

Is that 'Wislanie 69' 45 any good? My finger's hovered over it as a cheapish BIN several times but I've never quite felt confident about pulling the trigger on it for some reason...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

• pull the trigger if it's cheap Wayne - one nice beaty pop number and the album sounded ok too / some nice hammond but not solid by a long chalk !
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post

Brother Jack McDuff - Hot Barbeque
        Expect some kinda jazz-funk/soul.
        Killer title track!
        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
          Nice finds. Love the Louis Hayes.
          yes, I think you where the one who mentioned it.
          My Statigram account ...

http://statigr.am/cratedigger

http://kratgraver.blogspot.nl

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Muench View Post
            As i don't know the town very well these directions might be a bit vague..

It was on a road round the side of an indoor market which itself was just up the hill from Lord St Boulevard.. i remember it wasn't far up from the band stand.

Somewhere near here i think...

Hope that helps.
            Yep, small place on Market Street (near where the old location of Market Records used to be). I've not been record shopping in Southport for 18 months or so but there certainly was one other shop last time I looked, on a little side-road off the pedestrianised bit of Talbot Street. I used to pop in there a couple of times a week, slowly going through their huge piles of cheap stock. Got a lot of good stuff from there.

There's also a lot of records in a big antiques place, at the south end of Lord Street. Lots downstairs but piles more upstairs as well.
            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

• got in some enjoyable digging on Satdee and snagged a few 7s:

Cozy Cole: Big Noise from Winnetka Pts 1&2 - too cool with spoken intros an' all.

John Schroeder Orchestra: The Fugitive Theme - giving the drummer some.

Shadows: Stingray - early octaver on the guitar?

Paper Dolls: Something Here In My Heart

Sounds Nice feat Tim Mycroft: Je Taime/ Love You Too - really liking the b side.

Sandy Edmonds: Give Him My Love - really happy with this one, she was something of a beat singer here in the 60s and was (reputedly) invited to join the Seekers post-Durham. But she went bush and disappeared in India for about 40 years; only resurfaced a couple of years back.

http://www.elsewhere.co.nz/absolutee...ring-pop-star/

and These Wilding Ways: Can't Control Her. another happy local find. was an offshot of 80s group the Screaming MeeMees and to my mind is an unsung kiwi classic in a sort of Mighty Wah sort of way.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanP View Post
                Sounds Nice feat Tim Mycroft: Je Taime/ Love You Too - really liking the b side.
                I love the B side too mate, I'm sure you'll enjoy the LP if don't already own it.
                "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Thought I would share the Lonnie Donegan EP cover, it's like a Stalinist poster extolling the merits of hard work for the benefit of the motherland.

The Downstairs Lounge
                  http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                  http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

• Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post

There's also a lot of records in a big antiques place, at the south end of Lord Street. Lots downstairs but piles more upstairs as well.
                    I did go in that place. It was a bit disappointing really, tons of vinyl but pretty much all rubbish. Anything of any interest was either expensive or trashed.....
                    Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
                    www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
                    www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

• a few lp,s from interweb and record fairs...

floating bridge s/t uk liberty
                      fire escape-psychotic reaction usa og
                      help-second coming usa decca
                      james gang-yer album usa bluesway
                      freedom-through the years usa
                      them s/t happy tiger
                      warlock s/t music merchant
                      ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Comment

• Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
                        I've loved the Rambling Syd stuff for many years, originally a character from the Round the Horne radio show, he took on a bit of a life of his over the years and it was one of the few roles Williams would return to with any real relish. There are a couple of EPs as well with much better sleeves, containing the same material as the album. If you like the Cook sketches you should track this one down, there is a lot of Cook material including sketches that were jettisoned from the stage production but which made their way into Not Only But Also, notably the One Leg Too Few skit:

Yes, got plenty Round The Horne's and Beyond Our Ken's and one of the EP's too - great sleeve !
                        "World Of Kenny...." includes tracks from 'Pieces Of 8' (1959), 'One Over The 8'(1960) and 'On Pleasure Bent' (1967). All the "8" sketches but one are by Cook including Asp & One Leg Too Few.
                        Never seen a copy of One Over The 8 !

Perhaps I should oblige with a picture. As I mentioned before this was a charity shop find and the sleeve look like it had been used as a dog chew. A liberal use of glue has restored the worst of it thankfully. Some of Holloway's most famous monologues on here, Albert and the Lion for instance. The monologues are all from the thirties given a buffed up re-release to cash in on the popularity of My Fair Lady:

Got 5-6 Holloways inc the early stuff (Lion & Albert, Albert Comes Back, Sam Pick Up Thy Musket...) LOVE IT ! Grew up listening to the 78s...got quite a bit of music hall including a bootleg of Kate Carney !

I have the album, Jim was a surprisingly versatile singer songwriter, from early bubblegum pop singles (Be My Girl, Sugar Time) through comedy classics (Piccadilly Line) and Kings Road-esque swinging London hits (Dick a Dum) to, as you say, much more introspective and reflective songs. he also managed to pick up an Oscar nomination during that time for Georgy Girl.

Never seen that before - that's another want ! Dick A Dum Dum is surely the highlight of Des's career ?!
                        "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

• Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
                          Brother Jack McDuff - Hot Barbeque
                          Expect some kinda jazz-funk/soul.
                          Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                          Killer title track!
                          co-sign on that, genius party record, any time of the year...

Comment

• Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                            Also on a handy 45, of course!
                            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                              I actually needledropped it and put it aside for further evaluation wether to keep or not,

We'll see if I hear what you hear when I pull it out of that pile.
                              "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                              and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Originally posted by kenneth View Post
                                Ten years after-portable people/the sounds,deram 68.The debut single from them and the sounds is a killer tune moody,dark and a ridiculous guitar break.
                                Any others from ten years after worth looking out for?
                                Kenneth
                                Co-sign on 'The Sounds' mate! Just picked this up as a blind buy and love it...

as Kenneth said, are there any other Ten Years After bits worth keeping a look out for?
                                Destroy all the stereotypes

Comment

Working...
                                X