Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sie's Chandni Chowk Experience (Delhi, February 2011)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sie's Chandni Chowk Experience (Delhi, February 2011)

Here's my report, the results of an afternoon digging about in the Chandni Chowk market of Old Delhi. A mixture of classics, wants and some speculative punts. All need a damn good clean..!

Thanks to Boney for the super-accurate directions to get to the New Gramophone House; what a great shop. I also found records in two other locations at the market. Surprise of the afternoon was when I called by the CD/DVD shop on Connaught Place that only has a small number of records for sale these days, and asked them politely about the store-room upstairs...

I also scored a Shalimar with the intricate fold-out sleeve *almost* intact. It's about 3/4's there, certainly the best copy I've found for 150 rupees...

Last edited by Sie Vulture; 27-02-2011, 06:52 PM.
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Soul Of Bobby
    it's OK to head out for wonderful, but on your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through all right. When you get to all right,
    take a good look around and get used to it, because that may be as far as you're gonna go.

Comment

Wow, quite a haul there!
      The Burning Train always makes me laugh, what a voice

Comment

Wow! - great stuff ther Sie, a few favourites, a few i've been looking for for yonks - and loads i don't know.

I got that MAA recently- - wonky exotic fun. and MERA FAISLA has a few bangers on!

So which are your favourites out of this lot? And did you grab any trades?
        Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

I'll be honest and say I haven't had much chance to listen to these since i got home on Saturday coz I've been unwell (). But I did get a listen to:-

MAA - wow! This was 250 rupees and well worth it - there's one track that's really good.

Mera Faisla was a speculative punt. The sweet old Sikh guy that Boney and I have now both met on Chandni Chowk just kept making LP's appear from no-where, wanting 150 rupees a go - so I just picked up those with "dance music" or "title music" tracks on or composer names that I knew.

The two Usha LP's are very interesting. The "Uncensored" album is on red vinyl. The disco Babla LP's are funny, not much quality on them but raise a cheeky smile. There's one track that sounds like "Wordy Rappinghood" for starters..!

"Sansani" has two really good tracks on it. Picked up another couple of Hemant Bhostle LP's, will check those out later.

The only trade I picked up was "Shalimar" - I'll combine the two copies I now have to make a favourite album/sleeve then move on my spare.

I have about 20 LPs that I've bought over the years that I'm looking to move on - will prepare a list...
          Last edited by Sie Vulture; 28-02-2011, 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

That's a pretty swell haul! Nice one. I've never seen the shalimar fold out. Looks pretty bonkers! I got a nice fold-out LP in Mumbai, but I can't remember what it's called. I'll post it up if i get round to taking a photo.
            "Jumping cues and making haste just ain't my cup of meat"

www.alexd.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X