Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Finds

This dropped on my mat this morning

Best saturday morning related comedy their is........

Not a record, but this recent poster find is a real beauty

http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
    www.the-onyx.co.uk
    www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

nice poster mate - very cool
      was Jimmy Page connected to the Talismen?
      Rockwell
      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
        nice poster mate - very cool
        was Jimmy Page connected to the Talismen?
        I believe so, I'm not sure if this is the same 'Casting My Spell' band. The poster would be late 60s. I thought the Talismen were all session folk and that would have been a few years earlier. I assume the rest of the bands were local to Southampton.
        http://peachfuzzforest.blogspot.com
        www.the-onyx.co.uk
        www.kernowbeat.co.uk

Comment

Poster is from 1967, looking at the day/date combination.

Very nice too.
          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Went to a presale charitysale that's organised by the dutch Lions Club every year. They used to do books only and this as the first year they had a stash of records as well. Everything was 0.50 eurocent. The room was crawling with sweaty men.
            Found a couple of nice things there. There was an older dude who was going through the records he had pulled and I noticed some serious rare stuff like the Cressida - Asylum LP on Vertigo and a clean copy of Electric Ladyland with the nude cover.
            Kind of frustrating but that's how it goes I guess.
            I was really pleased, especially with a Vertigo press of Manfred Mann's Chapter 3.

Lonnie Smith - Afro Desia
            The Quartet (Milt Jackson) on Savoy
            Astrud Gilberto - Now
            Sly and the Family Stone - Small Talk
            Birds and Brass - Soundsational
            Lazy Latin (Duncan Lamont)

Buzzcocks - Another music in a different kitchen
            Manfred Mann - Chapter Three
            Donald Byrd - A new perspective
            Talking Heads - Psycho Killer 12"
            Home - Pause for a hoarse horse
            The Boys
            Last edited by markie; 02-06-2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rprest View Post
              I believe so, I'm not sure if this is the same 'Casting My Spell' band. The poster would be late 60s. I thought the Talismen were all session folk and that would have been a few years earlier. I assume the rest of the bands were local to Southampton.
              Not sure if this is the same Talismen, who were from Cheltenham and weren't sessioneers but obviously had 'help' from the likes of Jimmy Page on their Stateside single. Their only other release was an album in Italy and they split in '67 and as far as I know were never signed to Polydor, unless they did and split before releasing anything.
              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

June has started well with a few more odd showbiz/comedy singles, among them...

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore - Goodbyee b/w Not Only But Also by the Dudley Moore Trio
                The opening and closing theme from their 1960s show, the theme tune is a fine piece of British jazz

Charlie Drake - Charles Drake 007 b/w Bumpanology
                A fairly dull A side, but the B side is well worth tracking down, and if I ever get another chance then it's definitely going to played at a Brillo
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e36Aj_b1H4

Mike Yarwood - Saturday Night At The Crown b/w Harold
                apparently withdrawn and subsequently quite rare, it featured in the show Johnny Trunk did recently with Jarvis Cocker from the BBC Record Library.
                The Downstairs Lounge
                http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
                http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

[QUOTE=markie;441418.
                  There was an older dude who was going through the records he had pulled and I noticed some serious rare stuff like the Cressida - Asylum LP on Vertigo [/QUOTE]

Ouch, my sympathy goes out to you. Same thing happened to me with that Cressida at a Car boot many years ago. Nice to get the Chapter 3 though.
                  http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Just picked up a few 45s-

couple of upgrades:
                    Small Faces- my minds eye (my third 'demo' matrix copy...never seen the other one)
                    Who- can't explain

and some new to me:

Dorothy Masuka- zoo lake
                    King Crimson- cat food.

Both great!
                    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

I just picked up "Primal Roots", the Sergio Mendes lp everyone was raving about a few weeks back.
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                        I just picked up "Primal Roots", the Sergio Mendes lp everyone was raving about a few weeks back.
                        Great LP.....Do you like it then mate?
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Received by Mr Postman this morning, a lovely copy of World - Lucky Planet

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                            Great LP.....Do you like it then mate?
                            Only bought it at lunchtime. needle dropped about 10 seconds and was sold. I like Sergio anyway and this looks like its playing up his best stuff.
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by RobLilley View Post
                              Received by Mr Postman this morning, a lovely copy of World - Lucky Planet
                              A nice album...wish I hadn't GIVEN MINE AWAY !
                              "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Working...
                              X