July finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July finds

Jens wickerman is in town DJ:ing at our club. We went to one record shop, the best in town, and even though I wasn't gonna buy anything I came back with some stuff.

Sleeveless selftitled Small Faces for peanuts. Ice rink but plays pretty good.
    Nick Nicely - Hilly Fields (1892) - Jens found this for me, not cheap but happy to pay a bit for this. Cheers!
    Traffic - Roamin Thru The Gloamin With 40000 Headmen - Jens tip-off, great folkfunkpsychprog. Cheers again!
    Erkin Koray - Aska Inanmiyorum/Yagmur - freebie from a friend who was in Istanbul recently. I didn't know any of the tunes but he knew Yagmur from a Gaslamp Killer sample. Great to have friends with taste.
    The Sweet - Spotlight - Freebie from... Jens again. Great glampsychrocker. Thrice cheers!
    http://soundcloud.com/teaspoonsweden
    http://www.mixcloud.com/SebastianFSorrow/
    http://soundcloud.com/seb-f-sorrow

Local charity has had a donation of some Polish lps. Not an area I'm familiar with, but nonetheless I take a lucky dip with Zdzislawa Sosnicka, Irena Jarocka, Maryla Rodowicz, and Urszula Sipinska. They are all rather too MOR for my liking, but wait, what's this
    The last track on side 2 of the Urszula is fantastic!

The Memory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm0M2OhYgCM

When the strings, horns, and heavenly choir make their entry, wow and the drummer gives his kit a belting!
    Last edited by medlar; 02-07-2011, 03:42 PM.
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Not all found in July but hey ho!

45s

It's the late 90s again

classic instro

funk tune on a novelty 45 flip

Handy 45

cheers Cees

Sock company advert 45 - not quite Fun Buggy but good!

Small Faces with PP

Nice fuzzy French femme pop

Beatles covers from another land

Nino in English

weird John Cameron produced 45

Groovy Elvis 45

LP round up - will add comments later

Brainticket was a BIN on here- cheers - great LP and much more accessible than I was expecting. Auger & Tooth both spares from a charity shop. Groove Holmes / Ernie Watts has a number of stormers on it - not least the title track. The Rascals I'd not seen before - their last? Good funky pop with the odd touch of fuzz / production technique. DC5 from the £ bin - some good stuff on the 'fast' side. Billy Preston from the same bin - nice organ soul. Auger Oblivion not from the pound bin - great choice of covers and usual high class keyboard workouts - think this may be the cut off point from Oblivion Express stuff or am I wrong? Dial LP bunged my way from Fuz - you were right mate it is a bit on the disco side but do like Law of the Land on it.

Advisory Circle was given to me by a pal - really liking it - what other Ghost Box stuff is similar please? JBs - last one I needed cheap from a London record shop! SF Sorrow - not cheap from the same London record shop - Germany original - creeping ever closer to a proper UK orig. Is mono or stereo the one to aim for here? A row of cheapos - all with good stuff on them! Chuffed to replace my long gone copy of Add N to Xs finest moment IMHO - this LP fucking rocks! Marketts Batman is great - twangy, gritty and organy - apart from the title track there is no discernible batman theme (musically). Blues Current is another winner - one of the strongest moog LPs Ive heard certainly!

Last edited by LDJB; 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Can't believe it's July!!
        Couple of 'ol VG+ classics this morning;

The Gladys has the great version of Who is He to You, the Taverners is UK trad folk, still need to check to see if there are redeeming features

The Pieces of a Dream is such a perfect summer record. That and the Walter Jackson were a couple of quid. The Walter Jackson is a terrific soul record, not heard anything too shabby from him.
        Need to check out the Country Joe.

Some sealed Jazz instruction LP's by Jamey Aebersold, shame the groovier ones were not in the same pile.

Couple more jazz LP's from this morning. Niel Young Live and a CBGB's live LP with band that I don't recognise at all.

Everyone on here seems to rate early Bee Gee's, this is a great listen to a newbie. A 1980's Smithsonian/Folkways LP that could go either way and a nice but rather boring Kenny Burrell session.

Great tip on the Ronnie Lane from the 1001 thread. Two Frances Yip LP, think she's been discussed before, not sure what to expect, but looks MOR.

Some Nilsson, love lots of his stuff and just keep picking them up Battered Animals, yet playable. A live Todd Rundgren LP that I will try and tackle at some point.

Only posted the Paramor as can't remember it in the BBC thread.
        The soul comp on Silverline is a great listen.

Best LP for a while, nice UK Xian folk with some excellent guitar work!!

Nice clean Metal Box, wouldn't of bothered with this but a recent thread comes good, really enjoyable.

Loads of 45's, will add on description on more intersting ones in a while

Last edited by BoneyVotel; 03-07-2011, 02:18 PM.
        You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Nice finds Mark! What's that leaflet with the metal box - not the tracklist but the one with the Discus thrower on it - mine doesn't have one of those?!

Also who's on that live at CBGBs? I've never seen that one - I think I have another GBGBs comp that has the usual suspects (Televsion, Blondie etc) and a couple of Max's Kansas City things with Suicide etc.

Comment

Found some nice sevens this weekend from two carboot fairs. Probably pick of the bunch was this:

Got this quite late on ,after the local RECORDKINGZ had scoured through everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlQaIWBX4Q

In the picture are:
            Tony Jackson with The Vibrations - Fortune Teller (Pye)
            The Five Stairsteps - World Of Fantasy/ Playgirls Love (Windy C)
            The Carrolls - We're In This Together (UK CBS)
            Derrick Morgan/Baba Brookes Band - Around The Corner (Ska Beat)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn7LYepBc7E
            Creative Source - Who Is He and What Is He To You (Sussex)
            The Dynatones -The Fife Piper (HBR)
            Dee Dee Sharp -Its A Funny Situation/ There Aint Nothing I Wouldnt Do For You Cameo. Instantly likeable 6ts dancer.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNK7ftwMIK4
            Earl Preston and the T.Ts - I Know Something (Fontana)
            Alvin Cash - Philly Freeze (President
            Gwen McCrae - Rockin Chair (President)
            Alton Ellis -Too Late To Turn Back Now (Ackee). Real nice version of the Cornelius and Sister Rose track.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAmjXwIadPo
            David T.Walker - Love Vibrations (Zea)
            Last edited by relkeel; 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM.
            record licker

Comment

Your local RECORDKINGZ missed some killers there mate,especially the Tony Jackson
              Rockwell
              Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                Your local RECORDKINGZ missed some killers there mate,especially the Tony Jackson
                Bless em :
                Did cop for one tu*d though.
                Bozo Darnell on Kapp. Avoid!
                record licker

Comment

especially the Tony Jackson
                  Great record - the flip is damned good too!

Comment

@ ldjb- I have the Dickie Goodman- I rate it to

@ Boney votel - Agree on Walter Jackson most of his stuff is pretty solid, though do prefer his Okeh stuff the most, especially the track " that's what mama says"
                    @ Relkeel
                    Dee Dee Sharp -Its A Funny Situation/ There Aint Nothing I Wouldnt Do For You Cameo. Instantly likeable 6ts dancer.
                    Indeed it is a top tune

Comment

Originally posted by BoneyVotel View Post
                      A 1980's Smithsonian/Folkways LP that could go either way
                      This Lucinda Williams was one of a couple that she did on Folkways. They are both easily available on vinyl new but an original would be nice to have. Not exactly sure how you might tell the difference as I have not seen the labels on the new ones. Is that shrink wrap on it? If not to your taste happy to discuss...

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post

Nice fuzzy French femme pop

A great record Lee mate, I'll have to leave mine at home when I come up in September!

Great finds as usual BTW.
                        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

What he said....

They'll have been too busy looking for illsickbreaks, and evilmoodydramaloops etc!
                          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

late June / early July

Various sources but happy with the car boot finds so far - i'm far too random in my bootie efforts...some weeks i go,some i don't - going to try and go weekly now - here are some highlights -
                            Jumping Jacques - Sugar and Spice - mad scat / easy / jazz oddity - already been bagged by an esteemed member of this board [i already had one] - only my second ever copy and both found in the wild for the price of a trolley dash in poundland

Hellers - singers...talkers...
                            Mad advertisting related easy/soft psych job with electronics and some excellent tunes - got it cheap which is always nice !

Car boot find - Buddy Greco - his 6 minutes + version of 'like a rolling stone' is a revelation - wicked version !

Debut album by Bulgarian progsters Diana Express - proper kicking keyboard heavy goodness and highly recommended

French bootie find - like early music meets ISB like folk - a grower - would you have left a record that looked like that for a quid ?

A funky Taj Mahal on uk direction - liking his version of 'the cuckoo'

Novis side is excellent - do not play Karell Gott on the flip - you have been warned !

Thanks to Bazooka Joe for this big Towny spin Bobby Cole - so glad the record fair you attended was useless [only joking mate!]

Another bootie pull - Essential Logic - found amongst a load of country albums - always amazes me when that happens - post-punk excellence !

Rada Krishna Temple on Apple and as dicussed with LDJB - i'm liking it !

i don't buy Libes as a rule but it was hard to resist this one as it has 'the troll' on it -which is on the Fuzzy Felt comp on Trunk that i love dearly - ta RB !

Now to get rid of my repress - second one this year i think for someone on here? - and thanks for bearing me in mind sir

a spanish EP from the bootie with a decent version of 'everythings alright' by the Mojos on there - may be getting played at this weekend's Mud session !

and finally chuffed to find this in a pic bag - as far as childhood memories go it strikes the same chord as the robinson crusoe theme for me - not funky,no illsickbreaks but deffo a lovely 45 !
                            Last edited by Sie-Fly; 05-07-2011, 01:37 PM.
                            Rockwell
                            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Yeah... ACE record!
                              Back and to the left... back and to the left... back and to the left

Comment

Working...
                              X