July finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AlanP View Post
    then just before leaving I checked the L bin, as I've been doing for donkey's years, and came up reissues of Left Banke's first two albums. Righteous.
    Result! On bam caruso mate?
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
      Didn't know this was on 45! Anyone seen this before??
      I have, but never on this side of the pond. Be interested to hear how it's been edited. I found the Benson "Erotic Moods" LP at a booter last weekend, no-one commented on it - I thought that would be considered by the VG+ bretheren as a fairly hefty find for a field in Hertfordshire...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
        It's always a bit strange when you find one great record among a pile of total crap......

This was nestling in a box that otherwise contained complete runs of The Nolans and Chris DeBurgh

And the only only other record of any note was by gay rappers Yo! Majesty, which my friend nabbed. Weird.
        Great find - I've never unearthed any sa jazz in a charity shop - except for some kwela
        I think you probably got the better record than your mate!
        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
          Great find - I've never unearthed any sa jazz in a charity shop - except for some kwela
          I think you probably got the better record than your mate!
          I think so.....
          Last edited by d7bohs; 17-07-2011, 12:21 PM.
          Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

• Originally posted by babycart View Post
            The Wurzels are wrong. Normandy and Brittany produce large quantities of cider, including rough, uncarbonated versions similar to scrumpy, and their costumes indicate that they are in that region of France.
            Yes, the Wurzels are definitely being fussy. Northern France produces some excellent ciders. I suspect this same streak of ignorance prevails today as despite their unrelenting gigging schedule they very rarely seem to play anywhere north of Chipping Sodbury or east of Bristol. Decent cider can be found all over now chaps, largely thanks to your own sterling efforts back in the 70s I suspect.
            The Downstairs Lounge
            http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
            http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

• A few singles arrived from US after a rather long wait (ordered in April ).... bought on spec looking through a list of stuff from somewhere I get LPs from, but who had some 45s in for the first time. I think he knew as little about them as I did judging by the 'very reasonable' pricing.

I rather like these ones:

Amos Milburn - Soft Pillow as played by john Stapleton a while ago.

Aesops Fables - Temptation 'bout to get me / What is love - sweet sweet soul music on Cadet Concept - love the orchestration

The Shades Ltd - Frog hunt on mars / Fragile Fruit - not usually something I look for - raw garage - which makes my collection only about five 45s... but I rather like both sides of this - vocal to one side (fragile fruit) a little like a very raw Gloria, and fine instrumental to the other. Can't find much about them - think this might be their only 45.

Amboy Dukes - Journey to the centre of the mind - Funky and psychedelic stuff

The Electric Piano Playground - Good Vibrations / The Flower Song - Filthy Rich has the album, and I share his love of Good Vibrations - great fuzzed up ever growing version. Flower Song is pretty weird spaced country too. Will have to get the LP I think.

The Purple Cucumber - Some kind of magic / Green Eyed song (Smash) - not sure how to class this? Garage-sunshine pop? I love it (Some kind of magic is best side) - but probably it strides an impossible musical chasm for most!

Also picked up a great (to my ears) 80s electro-disco 45:

Shock - Dynamo Beat
              Last edited by pitch; 17-07-2011, 11:21 PM.
              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• Nice little stash there Steve!

I've been after the Electric Piano Playground LP for ages now! So long in fact that I had forgotten I was still looking for it. Does this mean I am no longer looking for it? I'm confused!

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                A few singles arrived from US after a rather long wait (ordered in April ).... bought on spec looking through a list of stuff from somewhere I get LPs from, but who had some 45s in for the first time. I think he knew as little about them as I did judging by the 'very reasonable' pricing.

I rather like these ones:

Amos Milburn - Soft Pillow as played by john Stapleton a while ago.

Aesops Fables - Temptation 'bout to get me / What is love - sweet sweet soul music on Cadet Concept - love the orchestration

The Shades Ltd - Frog hunt on mars / Fragile Fruit - not usually something I look for - raw garage - which makes my collection only about five 45s... but I rather like both sides of this - vocal to one side (fragile fruit) a little like a very raw Gloria, and fine instrumental to the other. Can't find much about them - think this might be their only 45.

Amboy Dukes - Journey to the centre of the mind - Funky and psychedelic stuff

The Electric Piano Playground - Good Vibrations / The Flower Song - Filthy Rich has the album, and a share his love of Good Vibrations - great fuzzed up ever growing version. Flower Song is pretty weird spaced country too. Will have to get the LP I think.

The Purple Cucumber - Some kind of magic / Green Eyed song (Smash) - not sure how to class this garage-sunshine pop? I love it (Some kind of magic is best side) - but probably it strides an impossible musical chasm for most!

Also picked up a great (to my ears) 80s electro-disco 45:

Shock - Dynamo Beat

Comment

• Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
                  Nice little stash there Steve!

I've been after the Electric Piano Playground LP for ages now! So long in fact that I had forgotten I was still looking for it. Does this mean I am no longer looking for it? I'm confused!
                  Copy here

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by pitch View Post

You might dig the LP mate -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VbcB...eature=related

Great finds BTW.
                    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

• Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                      You might dig the LP mate -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VbcB...eature=related

Great finds BTW.
                      Have heard good things - so will hunt it down...

Also picked up following albums:

Montage S/T - loved the Left Banke album, so very pleased to find this follows on very nicely - I almost prefer it. 'I shall call her Mary' and 'Grand Pianist' are immediate favourites.

Martin Denny - Hypnotique - haven't really explored proper exotica, but I love the production on this....the gorgeous title track

Karen Beth - Harvest - love her voice singing just about anything - laid back country folk - Like wine to me
                      Last edited by pitch; 17-07-2011, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• It's been at or around 100 degrees F for about a week and expected to stay thereabouts for another week. I started good and early at the yard sales this weekend.
                        Before work on Friday morning I found the only vinyl at the sale at the Masonic Hall - a 4 x 7" box Audio Book of H.G.Wells' "The Time Machine" with a cool cover - unfortunately it plays at 16rpm so I won't be playing it anytime soon.
                        Quite a few yard sales on Saturday and early on I checked out one where the lady of the house was still setting up. After looking around I asked her if she had any records - I recently decided to ask this at every sale I go to. Pays to ask. She went to her basement and brought up quite a stack. Pick of the bunch were:
                        Quincy Jones/ Walking In Space (A&M)
                        Andy Bey/Experience And Judgment (Atlantic)
                        already know this one - probably a keeper
                        Shorty Rogers/Chances Are It Swings(RCA)
                        love the cover with the blonde in her striped pedal pushers. Good tunage too.
                        Stanley Turrentine/The Baddest Turrentine (CTI)
                        my favourite from this "anthology of previously released recordings" is Salt Song. I'll investigate Stanley Turrentine further.
                        Sergio Mendes/The Great Arrival (Atlantic)
                        Les McCann/Comment (Atlantic)
                        Les McCann/Another Beginning (Atlantic)

ain't doing much for me, too many slow vocal numbers. I expected him to be livelier than this.
                        Perez Prado/Voodoo Suite (RCA)
                        very impressed with the titular side after which the mambo treatment of "six all-time greats" sound quite trite.
                        The heat and humidity ensure that digging activities curtail early today. Time to retire for a beer or two in air-conditioned comfort.

Comment

• Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
                          Chain Reaction - When I Needed You - Date

Great record, hope you managed to find it relatively cheaply, John? I presume you know it's got a teenage Steven Tyler from Aerosmith on it?
                          "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

• Got this at the boot. Suprised to find after it had been the box had been rummaged through by the regulars.

Recent visit to Coventry with Daddy Yaya for a Microdot Cindy gig, managed to pick this up at a charity with a serviceable copy of Full House by Fairport

Recent house visit from a car boot tip off. Errol Dixon on Oriole, Marsha Hunt Beast Day and Ejection by Capt Lockheed. The black and white picture sleeve is AK Process, a great early TG type 7 bought from the bay.

Got some reggae off my mate who found them in a skip! Still cleaning some of them up.

Heres some highlights

Interesting dub and ungooglable.

http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

• Some more.

Another one I could find any info on net about

Max Romeo on Black World

Been taken me ages to clean up these but most of them and have come out okay.

Comment

• Last lot of the highlights.

Great funky b side to the unmentionably named a side.

Love this track.

Nice psychy dub to my ears.

Bristol stuff.

More Bristol reggae.

Reggae Regular

This last one is more African sounding with high in the mix heavy handed bass. Couldnt find anything on the net about this one.
                                Last edited by ROCKPROF; 18-07-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X