July finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gogo View Post
    I'll be grateful if someone tolds me with which album to begin my introduction with Coltrane.
    the two Village Vanguard records are probably the gateway, but Impressions is one of the pinnacles.
    Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
      the two Village Vanguard records are probably the gateway, but Impressions is one of the pinnacles.
      Thanks!

Comment

Solid advice, and to answer your other question none of those are rare and many of them look like reissues and budget pressings.

Still, if you've never given Coltrane a real chance they'll all be worth wading through.

Comment

Originally posted by No, LordNo View Post
          Solid advice, and to answer your other question none of those are rare and many of them look like reissues and budget pressings.

Still, if you've never given Coltrane a real chance they'll all be worth wading through.
          Thanks!

Comment

All with "c"

All the records I paid with C - some I know, others - no

Comment

From "c" I took all the Coltrane's records that the guy has. I have done the same with Miles, Monk, Mingus and Rollins albums. I don't know if here (Coltrane) there is something rare. If someone can tell me. And I have no time to listen all in the near future - I'll be grateful if someone tolds me with which album to begin my introduction with Coltrane.
              Nice score, reissues or not. However Duke & Trane and the two Village Vanguards look original.

To me Impressions, Duke & Trane and the first Village Vanguard are classic and fairly accessible. Sun Ship is probably the most free/challenging.

Comment

All the records I paid with C - some I know, others - no

Seems like a really good collection - nice Can find, for example. Looks like an original.
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
                  Nice score, reissues or not. However Duke & Trane and the two Village Vanguards look original.

To me Impressions, Duke & Trane and the first Village Vanguard are classic and fairly accessible. Sun Ship is probably the most free/challenging.
                  I've never bothered with the Duke and Trane for some reason, maybe because I can't really easily imagine how it works - worth getting, yeah?
                  Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

Coltrane

I had listen the 2 Lives and Ole. Really good records like music -thanks to "advisers". No time to listen other this evening, but tomorrow I'll try other one.
                    CCCP - Ortodosia is a funny punk from Italy (I took it only because of name and because of the red vinyl). Is it popular?

Comment

I found this signature on one record. If someone know something about the Ray's signature... Is it real?

Comment

surprisingly good hand writing ...

Comment

Originally posted by lord dunsby View Post
                          surprisingly good hand writing ...
                          For someone who started going blind at the age of 5, and was completely blind some year later if I remember correctly - yes. But what do I know about blindness - maybe I underestimate their ability to learn how to write, but it does strike me as odd that not only is it a signature (that I guess many blind people learn for signing legal papers and stuff??) but also added "best wishes"...
                          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

According to Battaglia, the cursive “Ray Charles” autographs that you see offered on Internet auctions are signed by a designated signer who was authorized to sign for Mr. Charles. “Doesn’t anyone ever find it peculiar that they are aesthetically signed so that the signature is perfectly positioned on the white of the photo?” questioned Battaglia. “That would be quite a feat for someone who couldn’t see what they were signing.”

The bottom line for collectors hoping to secure a genuine Ray Charles signature is to proceed with great caution and to be very leery of purchasing Charles autographs that do not appear on legal documents.
                            from Autograph collector magazine

Comment

I've never bothered with the Duke and Trane for some reason, maybe because I can't really easily imagine how it works - worth getting, yeah?
                              It's very nice, if a bit mellow and bluesy.
                              Try these for example:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR13E...747427C3EFB0B1
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KnDS...900DDE608D8361
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNrVrEXUVS4

Comment

"D" - day

Thanks to all.
                                This is "D" records (including Newport 1963 because of Dylan)

Decameron- Third light
                                2 Dionysos
                                Dog Soldjer
                                3 Eric Dolphy (but I realise that 2 are the same songs but dif. records)
                                Decennium -Song of the Sad times
                                Demon Thor
                                Dulcimer
                                Doors - 3 lps box
                                The Damnation of Adam Blessing

No time to listen - I'm still on Coltrane
                                Last edited by gogo; 14-03-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X