X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainbomb
    replied
    Originally posted by soulful-illusion View Post
    Whats the Frankie Nieves like? And if you don't like it can I have it ??
    It's really good, quite hard and tight latin soul / boogaloo with some occasional jazzy touches. And I quite like it.

Leave a comment:

• soulful-illusion
    replied
    Whats the Frankie Nieves like? And if you don't like it can I have it ??

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    Yessir, with turban and kilt wearing Rufus Harley
    Must've been the same tour then as the one I bought was recorded live at Montreux jazz festival and released in 1974.

Leave a comment:

• Headless mermaid
    replied
    Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post
    With Rufus Harley? Because the best way to sell me Sonny Rollins is if he comes with bagpipes....
    Yessir, with turban and kilt wearing Rufus Harley

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    Originally posted by Headless mermaid View Post
    @Brainbomb, nice haul + sounds like a fun trip, you could have called it your CSC and it would've been fine
    Btw, I recommend everything from the 70s by Maceo, The JBs, Fred Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis.
    And not to rain on anyone's parade but Sonny Rollins recorded an even better live version of Swing Low Sweet Chariot for Danish tv in 1974 (not on Youtube unfortunately).
    With Rufus Harley? Because the best way to sell me Sonny Rollins is if he comes with bagpipes....

Leave a comment:

• Headless mermaid
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Muench View Post
    [/CENTER]
    Full Clip(12")-Gangstarr: As I dont own the Full Clip LP I had never heard this before. Its pretty good
    Quite an understatement, sir, it's one of their seminal songs. Or you might say "one of the best yet".

Leave a comment:

• Headless mermaid
    replied
    @Brainbomb, nice haul + sounds like a fun trip, you could have called it your CSC and it would've been fine
    Btw, I recommend everything from the 70s by Maceo, The JBs, Fred Wesley and Pee Wee Ellis.
    And not to rain on anyone's parade but Sonny Rollins recorded an even better live version of Swing Low Sweet Chariot for Danish tv in 1974 (not on Youtube unfortunately).

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    Originally posted by BeatsDeluxe View Post
    Nice! That Sansara has some tune off the Chameleon OST right? How much did it set you back? And that Rollins is my fave of his, lovely long droney version of "Swing low" if I remember right
    Nothing from the Chameleon that I recognized but then, I tend to forget and mix up things all the time so album titles and song titles and in some cases wether a particular track is by Miles Davis or Herbie Hancock and stuff like that isn't my strongest field of expertise. Which is really not handy at all when you collect records.

The Sansara cost me 100 SEK - think it's a pretty good price but no super bargain.

Lots of Färnlöf action on it (basically his band) so it would be no surprise if he did a version of something from a previous record. Overall it packs a bit more punch and groove than the Chameleon, but the latter is still a better and more adventurous record.

Leave a comment:

• Daddy Ya Ya
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Muench View Post

The World Of - The Goodies: At first i was disappointed that there was no funky gibbon but on listening was pleased with Ride My Pony and the Gooddies Theme.. Nice and funky.
    'Taking You Back' is the one for me on the Goodies album Heavy funky damage

Leave a comment:

• BeatsDeluxe
    replied
    Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post

The one thing I've listened to - very good 1977 jazz groove with Lasse Färnlöf, Staffan Abeleen, Georg Wadenius etc

Cheap jazz semi-punt - it has Rufus Harley guesting on bagpipes!
    Nice! That Sansara has some tune off the Chameleon OST right? How much did it set you back? And that Rollins is my fave of his, lovely long droney version of "Swing low" if I remember right

Leave a comment:

• Joe M'geek
    replied
    Had an awesome weekend in Norwich...which I think might be the best place I've ever been for record shopping. I think I make it four bricks and mortar record shops, plus chazzas, a record stall in the fleamarket. It was a little overstimulating, to be honest, there was so much stuff to flick through that looked likely that I'd not heard of...definitely not a case of flicking through usual dealer chud

Ultimately though, I'm pretty skint, so reigned my spending into mostly cheapo obscurities.

Jet Harris- Chills and Fever/Besame Mucho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3NQhHBSsw4

Orange Bicyle- -/Want to B Side.

Brilliantly, the unnecessary Beatles cover on the A side has a massive spliff burn on it, leaving just the killer flip to make it into the quid bin. This is very much in the vein of instant whip or something...a knocked out fun b side that is pretty killer.

Laurie I love onions/I want him

Terrible 'play it once and it will live in your head for ages' a side, but a great UK girlsound flip...would fit perfectly into those UK girl comps Bob Stanley did a few years back.

Richard Anthony- J'irai Twister Le Blues - french language version of a great Buddy Greco track I always play out. I'm not sure if this is a tittyshaker or belgian popcorn? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUFPVhMJTfI

Bobby Freeman- c'mon and swim. Needledropped this for about 1 second before it went onto the definite pile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBEwqQU5s_0

Little Frankie- I'm not gonna do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KypMQcCAWC4 Killer uk girlbeat that I've come really close to buying online. Decided not to be stingy and pay the middling price he was after. First time in about 9 years I've actually paid something like the going rate for a record- not a boast...I'm just super thrifty

Through the post:

Couple of Indian garage winnahs for a great price:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDdyRkYAAk8 The Combustibles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AwO4df41k Mustangs

Leave a comment:

• alanmck
    replied
    Originally posted by IAN View Post
    Randy Masters and Solar Plexus - Voices You can always find stuff in the MVE bargain basement if you look hard enough! Ace private US 70s Bossa/Avant Jazz/Tropicalia album that's got some great stuff on it. Couple of extended tracks on here that I think could rank alongside Sergio Mendes 'Crystal Illusions'...
    "Torremolinos" is the main thing on this, stuck an edit of it on one of my early Xmas mixes.

Leave a comment:

• IAN
    replied

Did a quick sweep of Notting Hill Music & Video Exchange at the weekend, nothing more than a tenner...

Tremeloes - Chip Dave Allen Rick I usually pass Trems LPs, but when they're asking £4 a pop it's rude not to partake. Cool Jerk and Ashford/Simpson's Running Out are the tracks

Tremeloes - Here Come The - Always had a soft spot for the title track. What a state I'm in is also a good fuzz groover.

Liliana - Urbanska You might not guess it but this Polish LP has some great funky organ jazz on it.

Sabicas - Rock Encounter Great Flamenco/rock crossover featuring Joe Beck on guitar

Sandra King - Warm & Swinging If this isn't a Vinyl Vulture classic, it should be! Arranged by Ken Moule, this has a storming uptempo jazz vocal version of the Peter Gunn theme - love it. Also a nice version of Slow Hot Wind. 50p well spent!

John Brown Junior's Go Go Music - Another VV classic from Roy Budd's organ playing alter ego, some good stuff on here.

Randy Masters and Solar Plexus - Voices You can always find stuff in the MVE bargain basement if you look hard enough! Ace private US 70s Bossa/Avant Jazz/Tropicalia album that's got some great stuff on it. Couple of extended tracks on here that I think could rank alongside Sergio Mendes 'Crystal Illusions'...

The Sands - Sand Doins one of the better Irish showband LPs.

Reflection - On Hymns Of Our Time UK xian stuff, one great track 'When the mood of the music changes' based on the Louie Louie guitar riff.

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    Now that I've rested fully and had time to listen a bit more I can say:

The Jack Costanzo & Gerry Woo is excellent tight latin soul/boogaloo and I did check it out on Popsike so that seems to be quite a find.

The Dave Hubbard was really pleasant - lots of nice electric piano.

Listened to the first 2-3 tracks on the Hollins & Starr before I went to work today and it sounded very good, as Jakartajive described it.

Other than that I saw further proof that there appears to be a small wave of new recruitments to our crowd: the first customer of the day to the stand I was helping out was a girl who looked about 17, she came up with 2 Doors albums and just exclaimed "these two for 20 Euro, OK" and it wasn't even a question so already a seasoned haggler. Elsewhere I spotted a young couple around 20, the girl enthusiastically leading the way "what? you're already bored? I wanna look at more records" and the bloke trodding along behind her (though later I saw them again and I did see him light up a bit at the sight of a cheap Smiths record but apparently the condition wasn't all too good). Another young girl - very proper looking picked up a Burzum?? And a bunch of metal kids hung around for most of the fair buying a fair amount - the youngest looked like he was about 14 or something. Also lots of dad/son couples - that seemed to be interested in pretty much the same music: lots of Bowie, Pink FLoyd etc.

So I think it may be some years still before we can count out the vinyl... the new recruitments may not be anything like it was 20 years ago, but still enough to make you happy and warm inside.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Muench
    replied
    After some of the finds in this months thread mine look a bit pitiful but I'm going to make you look at them anyway..

Last weekend i went to visit my brother (Dr Muench) in Bingley near Leeds where we had a pleasant evening involving a lovely curry, plenty of beer and getting beat at pool by 2 southerners and a woman from Alaska in a pub pool room that looked like something out of hogwarts:

Next morning whilst our other halves slept off there hangovers, my bro and I hit the local car boot:

This place can be a bot hit and miss but i had more luck than i did last time i visited.. Here's what I got:

The World Of - The Goodies: At first i was disappointed that there was no funky gibbon but on listening was pleased with Ride My Pony and the Gooddies Theme.. Nice and funky.

S/T - Zarza: Spanish holiday LP with some disco efforts some of which are almost listenable.

Sounds Like Ray Conniff - Unknown : For those who find original Ray Conniff LPs a little pricey, a budget RC LP. If you dont like Ray normally then you wont like this. But I do so its all good.

The Worst Record Show - Kenny Everett: Kenny presents what he thought were the worst songs in the world but (and this says more about my musical taste than anything else) I quite enjoyed some of them..

Kiss You Back - Digital Underground: I loved the Sons Of The P album when it came out and pretty much played the tape blank.. This was always the most commercial of the songs but pleased to get it for 25p ish.

This morning as the wife owed me about 1 and a half hours (I accompanied her to a meeting about being a slimming world consultant which went on for 3 hours and was mind numbingly dull.. In penance she drove me to a car boot a few weeks ago but we were only there an hour and a half so I was still owed another 90 mins.. For anyone that cares Mrs M decided against being a SW consultant after all that...) and so we popped into the Style car boot. (Style is just out side Wilmslow near Stockport and its main attractions are a mill and a woman's prison). Here is what I found:

A Few Of Our Favourites (Rhai On Hoff Ganeoun) - The Outlaws: You may remember that I lamented during my CSC about how I find British Country & Western LPs hard to understand. I think my main issue is the fact that they often just copy the US version without trying to inject any of there local style/influences and it just sounds fake and has no realism. It would seem this band are from Wales but from the cover you cant tell. However... They do 2 tracks in Welsh (which I think is a language invented purely to gain a top score in scrabble - sorry any Welsh VG+ers) I have to admire their National pride and for a quid it was something I had to hear.. As it happens its not too bad and i quite enjoyed it.

Bein' Green - Urbie Green: The sleeve of this LP states that Urbie is the most acclaimed trombonist on the world. Unfortunately I dont mix within Trombonist circles so i am in no position to dispute this, but I had never heard of him. Having listened to this LP however, I will be keeping an eye out for any more of his stuff as its pretty decent. I got Love & Brand New Key (which I cant listen to without singing "I gotta brand new combine harvester") are both funky and the self penned The Weenies is a nice 10 minute stab at jazz funk which grooves along nicely including a nice bass solo before morphing into a more trad jazz track.. Really good..

Sky's The Limit - The Temptations: I'm not the worlds biggest Motown fan but I do have a soft spot for the Temptations, especially when they break away from the 3 minute standard and get a bit of a funk on. They do it twice here "Smiling Faces Some Times" and "Love Can Be Anything (Cant Nothing Be Love But Love)" and both sound good from first needle drop.

Roots Of Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix: Yet another cash in LP of stuff Jimi recorded before he was famous. Its oner of the better ones I've heard with some nice bluesy rock. If I had a criticism it would be that the first 3 tracks (Wipe the Sweat, Wipe The Sweat Sequel 1, Wipe The Sweat Sequel 2) are basically the same song recorded 3 different times in a slightly different way... bit lazy.

Now & Just Pet - Petula Clark: The Now LP is really drab and boring.. Quite a disappointment, but the Just Pet LP was surprisingly good. Some nice up-tempo R&B numbers..

Schizophonia - Mike Batt: Ever wondered what Mike Batt did in-between the wombles and discovering Katie Melua? Well he was making overly complicated self indulgent concept albums like this. Occasionally a bit of a good groove will start but then it will abruptly turn into something else.. I will keep this LP but only because of the old skool B Boy break on it...

Both Sides Of - Hermans Hermits: I've never really heard any HH before and was pleasantly surprised by a couple of the tracks on this. "For Love" stood out with its belting drums..

Joan - Joan Baez: No real surprises on here, gentle folky stuff that i may well like if I took the time to listen to it properly..

Stardust - Buddy Cole: Not a great record.

American Pastime - Three Dog night: You know what to expect with TDN, slick funky rock, and this is no exception. "Easy Evil" and "Yellow Beach Umbrella" both stood out.

Full Clip(12")-Gangstarr: As I dont own the Full Clip LP I had never heard this before. Its pretty good and as a bonus you get Dwyck on the B side complete with accapella.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X