Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great records
    Just noticed that the model is the same on both records
    "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• Good heavens, so it is..!

A bit of further research over breakfast has revealed that they were recorded just a few months apart...
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
        Good heavens, so it is..!

A bit of further research over breakfast has revealed that they were recorded just a few months apart...
        How civilised to be able to do research over breakfast
        My breakfast time consisted of trying to keep two battling children from killing each other over extra bacon followed by a strained conversation with Mrs E in which she wouldn't believe that I couldn't mow the lawn u til the dew had dried
        "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
          How civilised to be able to do research over breakfast
          Aye - but it all came to a crashing halt about 30 mins later when I was ordered outside to paint the fence...
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

• Round up of the last couple of weeks - mostly real world with a few 45s in the post. Slim pickings around Edinburgh these days - in fact I don't think I'd get any decent records if it wasn't for the VG+ BINs and trades. There were more records than this that came in the door - some have gone straight back out, some have been passed on and some you really don't need to see (the same could be said for some of the below). Can't wait for Utrecht to have my mind (and wallet) blown again

Big 'uns

all booter or charity shop in this one - Badger and Necktar from the boot - both a bit meh..
            Manu disco 12 and Demis disco raer. Not really my thing but though I might be able to move them onwards especially the Demis.

L.O.V.E. got a hold on me

Timi LP for my daughter's boyfriend and a spare Cleo with Night Owl on it - holler if you need. If anyone has a copy of the 45 for me please give me a shout

Night Owl

Blast First comp with all the usual suspects - sadly the Obi is missing.

Sonic Youth - come and smash me

Butthole Surfer feature on the Blast First LP and I found this later LP with Donovan and Sabs covers in the same box

Hurdy Gurdy Man

The Latin Discotheque was largely bought for the sleeve as the music is too latin for me

2nd press of 1st Family LP from Craig - cheers mate - great LP but I dont think they ever really equaled it.

Hey Mr Policeman

Spindrift was another from Craig - it's a psych version of 'the Pirates of Penzance' and it's great! Lots of fuzz!! Here's a really annoying youtube clip of one of the tune pirates.

Larry Willis from a local shop - decent jazz funk I suppose - inner crisis

Cochise from the same shop - poppy prog psych - the best thing is the take on 59th street bridge song which they do in a sort of Vanilla Fudge style.

Davy Graham is my best charity find for a while - I don't like it as much as Midnight Man but bits of it are sublime! Both Sides Now for example.

Dennis King - Girl Power - very Vulturesque LP which I'd never come across before - the self penned title track is particularly good.

Replace my shameful later press of the Kinks 'Lola Vs..' with a proper first press - great and underated LP - from a charity too The Contenders

The Crusaders 1st from a charity too - the US double rather than the UK single (which I have now passed on) - some great stuff on here!

Also from a charity I inched closer to a UK mono of Pink Floyd's 'Saucerful of Secrets' - by finding this UK second press stereo issue

and here's some more charity finds with the exception of the Cranium Pie LP which I suspect you've all nabbed a copy of by now - it's great. I don't think Mr Rich looks quite right in the martial arts gear by the way - he reminds me of Bolo off the Mighty Boosh.

little 'uns - as I said before a fair few BINs from this very site - great stuff and thanks to everyone that posts them - please keep it up.

Mai Oui!

Erotissmo

Much debate and nerves but worked out great! Love this tune.

Big Fat Spider

I like this version better than the stones

Mothers Little Helper

Another one from Mr Sayers - many thanks Craig - nice psych funk.

The Devil Made Me Do It

Another BIN great tune - just wish the Fi was a bit Hi - er. I think it was recored as an after thought following the Eurovision A side session. Is it any different to the Jose Cid version by the way? *edit* forget that - some googling suggests they are one and the same - as you were. This sounds a lot 'brighter' than my 45 - bla bla bla

Willie Mitchell classic on UK issue which I realised I already had after I bought - it's on the flip of 'That Driving Beat' but this has 'Mercy' as the flip - therefore it's a spare.

Everything Is Gonna Be Alright

Mercy
            Last edited by LDJB; 25-09-2011, 01:35 PM.
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• finds from the last 3 weeks

from the wycombe shop
              east of eden-things(awesome repackaging of the first 2 lps on nova.very very good!)
              man-12 ozs of plastic and a whole in the middle

the rest came from the local chazzas and a boot
              lps
              richie rome-deep(cool white man boogie.daft punk and mf doom would have a field day with this!)
              lamont dozier-right there (no bad at all)
              freddie hubbard-windjammer(much better than expected)
              ray mcvay-its reggae time
              jan hammer group-oh yeah(come cool breaks n beats as usual with the 70s jan hammer output)
              doothy moore-st(turd)
              dorothy noore-misty(turd as well)

45s
              robert wyatt-im a believer/memories (memories is great)
              wizzard-bend over beethoven
              shag-lay it down/loop di love
              the casuals-toy/touched
              the string a longs-wheels/am i asking too much
              jean ferrat-la montagne (not much cop french thingie)
              chuck wood-seven days too long/soul shingaling(b sides the better to my ears)
              ohio players-fire/skin tight
              bt express-close to you/watcha think about that
              roy ayers-star booty/if you wanna see the sunshine
              fatback band-master booty/zodiac man
              chocolate milk-actions speak louder than words/aint nothing but a thing
              adamo-petit bonheur/mon cinema(mon cinema is a cool gainsbouroughesque riff on the james bond theme with nice thick bass)
              roya ayers-tongue power/the golden rod
              truth-i can't go on/whatcha gonna do when i'm gone(fonkay!)
              galaxy-dancing tight(nice boogie bassline!ensign has some good stuff innit)
              al green-i wish you were here with me /love
              the ohio players-sleeptalk/food stamps yall
              crown heights affair-dancin/love me
              smokey 007-good old song/never ending song of love.

pretty cool funky 45 chazza haul.never find stuff like that in the burgh for cheap!
              https://soundcloud.com/vapor-teh-apparition
              https://soundcloud.com/don-pachi-aka-bling-laden
              https://soundcloud.com/charlie-chong-snoop-god

Comment

• @ Lee - top scores on the doors...

Buttholes is a quality LP - there is a 12" of Hurdy cut loud as hell - as versions go this is the one

Agree with Gene Latter - rocks with pace - like a mother on a hand full of little helpers

That Erotissmo 45 has eluded me for a good long while - one of those price vs. vinyl grade issues -
                "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

• Nice finds fellas / Charlie never seen that East of Eden - pricey?
                  Lee - i have a US press of the Davy Graham...i love his 'both sides now' - it's great...just picked up a version by Dave Van Ronk on verve forecast...comes a close second
                  Few more from me -
                  James Lewis Fields - how long shall i wait
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSKHk-CBkbg
                  Cheap JB's style funk - a blind buy that paid off...
                  Don Paulin - mad latin meets german jazz cats...now to grab the album !
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPGTxW0unxg
                  Couple of soul / garage 45's - the wild ones and a nice 2 sider from dusty greyrock.

Another blind punt - Lyn La Salle - randee ram jet - deffo in the Creation / Smoke school of pop-art / freakbeat...really liking this.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpQFd5O2y9I
                  Reflections-[just like] romeo and juliet - nice soul/mod sound - Clay Allison - fell from the sun / all soul - pre Opal / Rain Parade genius - i got one at last Al !
                  Plus another long time want...Angel Angel Down we go on tower - one of my favourite psych tunes ever...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqzELprWIfM
                  part of haul of records i am slowly getting back from the royal mail after i was robbed...more of that when it's all over and done - it will need a thread of it's own

Picked up the Supertramp debut after discarding mine many moons ago - i'd recommend this to prog fans...it's much much better than i remembered it but don't take my word for it.
                  A Japanese Roy Ayers Ubiquity - 'we live in brooklyn baby' is a dark menacing piece of edgy psychedelic soul and a long time favourite - anyone know the score on this Japanese press...i bought it as an 'original' ? ?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chA_-j1gBWQ
                  Two more 7"s - Gaitley and Fitzgerald 'seance day' nice bit of psychy folk pop offa one of those 'fading yellow' comps and a nice tune from the young folk on double shot - someone has scrawled in pencil 'great pop beater' they are correct !

Lee - glad Heinz landed ok
                  Rockwell
                  Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                    Nice finds fellas / Charlie never seen that East of Eden - pricey?
                    was 16 squids so a lot cheaper than the o.gs on deram.definitely find of the year musically for me so far.project mercator is such a great lp
                    https://soundcloud.com/vapor-teh-apparition
                    https://soundcloud.com/don-pachi-aka-bling-laden
                    https://soundcloud.com/charlie-chong-snoop-god

Comment

• Originally posted by cancer scabies View Post
                      was 16 squids so a lot cheaper than the o.gs on deram.definitely find of the year musically for me so far.project mercator is such a great lp
                      those 2 albums are great Charlie / way to go for me i reckon...saves me a load of cash too !
                      Rockwell
                      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• Nice stuff as always Sie mate - really digging that Lyn La Salle 45 - must investigate
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• Originally posted by flytipper View Post
                          Another blind punt - Lyn La Salle - randee ram jet - deffo in the Creation / Smoke school of pop-art / freakbeat...really liking this.
                          Ah! I thought this was still in my watch list on ebay.

I see that, in fact, it's ended, with a solitary bid, and been dispatched to you already.

Must get the hang of this ebay business one day.
                          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

• did you know it John?
                            I found it had been comped on a garage comp so my £3 was well spent
                            Rockwell
                            Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

• More or less a month's worth, with a few clunkers taken out
                              All of these were real world finds, and mostly charity shops and markets - most expensive was €10, and most were in the €1 -2 range.

3 out of 4 of these were part of a '10 for a fiver' deal at Oxfam - Feelin' is by the Ivor Raymonde Singers Etcetera and surprised it isn't more rated around here: decent versions of the canon -McArthur Park, By the Time I get to Phoenix etc. Jean Pierre Thanes is 'from the school of' Jarre etc: nice enough, I guess. Concerto for Harry not as good as its cover

Vapour Trails is cheery DeWolfe Synth - surprisingly Human League-y sounding; or maybe not surprising given the date (1980). Bottom right is Sound Purpose - Twinkling of an Eye; Xian folkiness with nice harmonies

This lot probably needing no explanation? Stating the totally obvious, but the Bobbie Gentry is tremendous.

These four from street market - surprising, since I rarely see any records there at all. The Assagai is stone mint. Greenwood County Singers has nice versh of Lydia Purple.

Flea market today - Hemmings only pricy one. Turid is relatively late I guess, 1980 - a bit pleasant.....

The Webb is really nice - PF Sloan is a great song.
                              Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

• I found a very nice jazz record today that I didn't know about. Another Swedish one - just goes to show how much more I have to discover.

Jan Wallgren & Bengt Ernryd - Love Chant

Listen to a sample from the LP on Ernryds own homepage: http://www.ernrydmusik.se/Khalida%20kortversion.mp3
                                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X