No announcement yet.

September finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the James Brown info Lee mate.

Here's the track off that Mireille Mathieu LP -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6RyNa0I4WQ
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by blue burt View Post
      I have to say the Pidgeon s/t must one of the best albums of it's ilk I've heard - I've seen it many times before but been always kinda put off by the awful (and misleading) sleeve..saw it recommended here not so long ago and decided to give it a go this time, and I'm glad I did..so whoever it was, I'm using the opportunity to say "thank you"! And to pass the word to the fellow 60's popsike/baroque pop loving friends here, yet unfamiliar with this record: you should get it NOW..an absolute bargain to be had for - what, 10-20 bucks..?!

Hurrah! I believe that was me...Truth: worst sleeve ever/AWESOME record, and totally unappreciated. My copy (not sealed, mind) was £2.99, including shipping... which is just nuts.
      "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe M'geek View Post
        Hurrah! I believe that was me...Truth: worst sleeve ever/AWESOME record, and totally unappreciated. My copy (not sealed, mind) was £2.99, including shipping... which is just nuts.
        Yeah, some otherworldly good stuff here..definitely one of the most pleasant discoveries this year..so cheers!
        The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Nice finds so far y'all. Pitch I liked your bear photo. I'm going to try to get to Vancouver soon. Rockprof I like those bluebeat 7s!

So far this month has been good for me. Jayme Marques:

and some fun 45s:

Lightnin' Hopkins - grievance blues
          The free design - kites are fun
          Jesse Anderson - mighty mighty
          Will Wendel - lonely blue boy
          Bobby Watkins & fire - flight to cuba/soul on ice
          Cannonball - mercy mercy mercy

All from the flea market and yard sales.

Comment

Originally posted by king_maxwell View Post

All from the flea market and yard sales.
            [Almost sprays tea all over computer monitor...] NICE ONE!!!!
            Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
              Wow! Never seen this on a 7" before, let alone a UK issue. One of my fave Hooker tunes.
              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post

Majestics - their first LP - I was on the lookout for something by them... not disappointed - boy they are energetic! I'm particularly partial to the last track - 34 ½ (Half-way there) - a rarity in that it's not a cover version.
                Indeed a energetic LP. Lovely to see this post. Was in Montreal few years ago and recognize Cheap Thrills and Primitve...and it's also where I found my Majestics LP (not sure in which shop it was though). There are also plenty of great second hand shops with plenty of records on Avenue du Mont-Royal. Found great stuff there, mostly Jazz, Latin-Grooves and Funk stuff for really good prices. I'm looking forward going back to Montreal. Actually I was planning to go there maybe this Winter... Hope it's still the same...

Comment

Originally posted by king_maxwell View Post
                  So far this month has been good for me.

Thats a find and a half, good work I've never heard the Soul on Ice side is it any good?

Comment

Some recent finds and buys:

The Can album is sessions from 68/69, and is of the quality of 'Delay' excellent stuff, and bought as the seller sold me it on a sale or return basis.

'Friends' by Friends is from 1975 (recorded in 1972) ace free jazz type stuff and a nice little piece on the back about the 70 year old cover artist.

The Velvet Underground singles box was bought from the same person I got the Can from, as good as new, and glad to get it for a decent price. Contains seven singles, one of which is an interview disc.

I sold the Kinks 'Misfits' (1978) album years ago, glad to have another copy, this one is German, I especially like the Dave Davies track 'Trust Your Heart.'

Good to see people still putting some effort into vinyl releases. The Richmond Fontaine new single 'Lost In The Trees' is a beautiful package, and the people at the label make little profit.

The new Voice Of The Seven Thunders 'Blue Comet' remix album also has a beautiful sleeve and is excellent. Runs at well over 40 minutes.

The Lou Killen 'Sea Chanteys' on ESP from 1973 promised the warped sound of butterflies and frogs (front cover) and lions and birds (with umbrellas) in space (back cover). What I got was the sound of a busker on Elvet Bridge in Durham. It's folk from a guy in Gateshead, albeit recorded in New York.

The new Wooden Shjips I got from the Thrill Jockey label in America, good value, on blue vinyl with download code, 7" single and tote bag, excellent stuff as usual. They were on Marc Riley's show in session and conversation this week (Wednesday), it's still on the i-player.

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel blazer View Post
                      The new Wooden Shjips on blue vinyl with download code, 7" single, excellent stuff as usual.
                      i bought these too yesterday! they were actually playing here in Tallinn, it was pretty amazing concert, no dull moments. unfortunately this event got zero promotion, they really should have deserved more listeners.

Comment

Originally posted by priima View Post
                        i bought these too yesterday! they were actually playing here in Tallinn, it was pretty amazing concert, no dull moments. unfortunately this event got zero promotion, they really should have deserved more listeners.
                        What was the venue like Martin, they just played here at the excellent Brudenell Social Club in Leeds, which is ace, and tiny. There are so many independently promoted shows here (in Newcastle) that get zero promotion as well.

Comment

They have played Leeds (as Moon Duo too - tho essentially W.S.) about 4 times in the last two years!! Bit miffed they never did Newcastle... Star and shadow would probs be the likely venue...If they do!

Have all their vinyl Lps/12s and 7s up to now but ain't got new one... Much did that package set you back mate?

Comment

Originally posted by enrico chiesa View Post
                            They have played Leeds (as Moon Duo too - tho essentially W.S.) about 4 times in the last two years!! Bit miffed they never did Newcastle... Star and shadow would probs be the likely venue...If they do!

Have all their vinyl Lps/12s and 7s up to now but ain't got new one... Much did that package set you back mate?
                            It was $30 (inc shipping) but I couldn't get one from here because of the warehouse fire. They were apparently meant to be on at the Star and Shadow a year or two ago but the people there didn't know of them. I have had to go to Leeds to see both bands.

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel blazer View Post
                              What was the venue like Martin, they just played here at the excellent Brudenell Social Club in Leeds, which is ace, and tiny.
                              it was in big soulless rock club. under 100 people in 800+ club was sad. it would have been great, if it took place in small club.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKPROF View Post
                                What's the Toop/Burwell like? PB was the guy behind Bow Gamelan, wasn't he?

@Pitch ... those Vancouver pics take me back. So many great stores, and a good microbrew town as well.
                                https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                                http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                                https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                                https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Working...
                                X