September finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
    What's the Toop/Burwell like? PB was the guy behind Bow Gamelan, wasn't he?
    Yes, Burwell was in BG with Richard Wilson (the artist best known for the oil-filled room in the Saatchi gallery) & Anne Bean. A friend studied in Hull at the time he was running the Kingston Rowing Club/Hull Boathouse there in the early 2000s, sounds like he was a very interesting chap...KRC is still going as a venue, too, but never managed to get there and see what it's like.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
      Cat - Don't know much about these guys - this track Light Of Love sums up their general approach
      Also done by Bonnie Dobson!

Comment

Cubitts "The Shape Of Things To Come" - UK private press, looks interesting - off the market. 1972, Google didn't yield much, one reference on Popsike...

Will investigate when I get home..!
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
          [Almost sprays tea all over computer monitor...] NICE ONE!!!!
          Yeah, that's one incredible find, well done Sir
          You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Got a bunch of stuff from the Birmingham record fair this morning. Apart from one they were all between 50p and £3. Sometimes I go to these things and find I'm just not in the mood and go home empty handed, other times, like today, I must be in the right frame of mind and I spend a little cash, but with mixed results. Here we go... (pictures rather large - sorry)

Bad Company - Burning Sky on Island from 1977. No info whatsoever on the front or back cover or on the inside of the gatefold, so I had a glance at the inner sleeve and saw the name Rodgers and thought I was buying a Free album!

Slave - The Hardness Of The World funk thing on Cotillion from 1977

Ideal by Ideal (?) something German from 1980 on the Innovative Communication label - plays at 45rpm

Grace Jones - Portfolio not expecting much from this

Chicken Shack - 40 Blue Fingers... original Blue Horizon, well used, but looks like it'll clean up nicely - couldn't leave it at the price (3 for £5)

Dead Kenneddys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables on Cherry Red

Crass - Stations Of The Crass my first Crass record. Heard "Do They Owe Us A Living?" recently and find myself humming it quite a lot

Space - Magic Fly my first record purchase back in 1977 was a toss up between the title track of this or "The Crunch" by The Rah Band. Went for The Rah Band

Positive Noise - Get Up And Go 12" on Statik. I like the Statik label, but this is probably rubbish

The Special A.K.A. Live! 2 track juke box / promo copy with "Too Much Too Young" on one side and "Skinhead Moonstomp" on t'other. Nice glossy pic sleeve - one for my 2 Tone collection

Tubeway Army - Are 'Friends' Electric? picture disc - nice original copy with the card insert

Rip Rig + Panic - You're My Kind Of Climate Virgin 7"

The Special AKA - Racist Friend Another glossy card cover and paper labels - think I might have doubled up on this one

Creation Rebel - Dub From Creation Boomshot of the day! Great UK dub album. Have a white label copy with the proper cover and the Dutch pressing on the Midnite label already, but never had it with the proper Hitrun labels. Happy with this. Had to haggle, but got it for a hugely reasonable £15. Not sure about that "pre release" cover though...

Right, off to crack open the PVA!

North of the River Cole

Comment

First lot by post

William Onyeabor - Anything You Sow (Onyeabor) - LP - unoffical re-issue of electro infused african LP - hint of TG "hot on the heels" here

The Cramps - Human Fly (Vengence) - 7" - classic - waxi score at top price

Stoneface & Life Everlasting - Love Is Free (Academy) - 7" - Frank find goes top re.issue

Alexander Rabbit - Malaguena (A&M) - 7" - odd groocer

Gentry V - Summertime (Valon) - 7" - ace for the floor cover

The Guise - Chumpy McGee (Musicland USA) - 7" - groover

This lot from Vienna fair today - great mix of sellers - best this year - all LPs at great prices

Temple City Kazoo Orchestra - Some Kazoos (Rhino Records) - 12"

Peter Cook and Dudley Moore - Bedazzled (Decca) - LP

Basil Kirchin - The Abominable Dr. Phibes (American International) - LP

Jerry Goldsmith - Logan's Run (MGM) - LP

Guido & Maurizio De Angelis - Keoma / Il Cacciatore Di Squali (Cinedelic) - LP

Marcus - Marcus (Kinetic) - LP

followed by top beer
              "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Originally posted by soulful-illusion View Post
                Thats a find and a half, good work I've never heard the Soul on Ice side is it any good?
                Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the find. And other play-able tunes (on other 45s) are nice too. I think the Soul on ice side is pretty good. I'll try to record it & post it up.

Comment

Originally posted by MPFlapp View Post
                  First lot by post

William Onyeabor - Anything You Sow (Onyeabor) - LP - unoffical re-issue of electro infused african LP - hint of TG "hot on the heels" here

Hi

went after that lp today, but it seems to be sold out everywhere. Can i ask where you got yours?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Digga View Post
                    Can i ask where you got yours?
                    PM'ed
                    "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

I seem to get around to posting finds so rarely that I'm not sure which records have been acquired since I last posted. Needless to say many records have been found and bought home. The first set (of which this is just a few highlights) started as a call yesterday afternoon followed by a visit today. In the final deal I paid a fraction over £3 for each for these, so quite pleased with the outcome. Everything but the Crompton Suite is an original! It is a bit of a strange mix that originated from a couple of different collections, I guess. Some real surprises and definitely worth the trip out.

These remaining few are from various sources over the last few weeks. The Joseph Jarman and the Stockhausen were both from MVE. The Virginia Tree (PP, folky) was a 50p charity shop find.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
                        I seem to get around to posting finds so rarely that I'm not sure which records have been acquired since I last posted. Needless to say many records have been found and bought home. The first set (of which this is just a few highlights) started as a call yesterday afternoon followed by a visit today. In the final deal I paid a fraction over £3 for each for these, so quite pleased with the outcome. Everything but the Crompton Suite is an original! It is a bit of a strange mix that originated from a couple of different collections, I guess. Some real surprises and definitely worth the trip out.
                        Great batch of records, but i am curious about the wood you're photographing them on: floor or table?
                        Last edited by Sie Vulture; 12-09-2011, 12:48 AM. Reason: removed the repeated photographs...

Comment

Nice stuff there Piglit esp the Mcnair.
                          http://soundcloud.com/anthroprophh

Comment

Originally posted by Digga View Post
                            Great batch of records, but i am curious about the wood you're photographing them on: floor or table?
                            Table. The shadow that occasionally appears top left is my son reading a book about the pharaohs.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Table. The shadow that occasionally appears top left is my son reading a book about the pharaohs.
                              Thank you!

So, you both like diggin'

Comment

Some real surprises and definitely worth the trip out.

Game over.
                                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Working...
                                X