September finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe M'geek View Post
    I knew I'd like this, being a massive fan of all things sunshine pop...somehow I'd never thought to check it out online til this reminded me.

BEST THING EVER! (well, the two tracks I've just found on youtube...at least) Much better production than their first album, which is great, but much more primitive sounding.
    a favourite of mine / like a different band to the early Kapp Critters...
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by flytipper View Post
      a favourite of mine / like a different band to the early Kapp Critters...
      Yeah, great LP Sie mate.
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
        Is that one any good then, apart from not being very good this one is too late for my taste with it being 1978.
        I haven't had the nerve to spin it yet. Judging from the hair and clothes, I'd guess it was from 1975 or 1976, but that's only a guess.
        https://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Comment

Originally posted by moecurlythanu View Post
          I haven't had the nerve to spin it yet. Judging from the hair and clothes, I'd guess it was from 1975 or 1976, but that's only a guess.
          Unfortunately the cover wasn't enough to put me off spinning the one I picked up, as Hommer Simpson would say 'My ears are soiled'!

Comment

yep, took the Critters down to my vinyl cave in the basement and gave it a rip - good times, and as you say, a much fuller soundscape cf the debut.

but on my way home I also nabbed tha Little Ann album Deep Shadows (Timmion). It's a vinyl only release with accompanying legend that it was recorded way back in the whenevers, then shelved and forgotten.

Anyone know if this is true or a bit of marketing spin?
            Either way it's superb, spinetingling stuff and well worth the price of admission

also got this Ray Bryant Orchestra album, Take A Bryant Step (Cadet) with some very very cool jazz takes on the likes of To Sir With Love and Paint it Black; a wee nudge on the bpms turns the latter into top dancefloor fodder.

so, it was a pretty good day on the buying front.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanP View Post
              Little Ann album Deep Shadows (Timmion). It's a vinyl only release with accompanying legend that it was recorded way back in the whenevers, then shelved and forgotten.

Anyone know if this is true or a bit of marketing spin?
              It's definitely old 60s recordings, don't think it was intended as an album, as such - it's more a compilation gathering all her recorded output. Which has mostly been on various Kent CDs and 7"s - but this is the only place they're all collected together. I agree, it's amazing - think "What Should I Do" has been a massive spin since it was played off acetate in the 70s... her identity unknown.

Check out "Dave Hamilton's Detroit Dancers" CD for the full story...
              Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post

The Shadows - Shades of rock (EMI)
                Finally managed to grab a copy of this vulture classic.
                It took some time for me too. Only found recently - it's probably mentioned by me in the July or August finds thread already. I spun My Babe at the outdoors Crillo because I thought the average Dane needed some organ groove meets trippy backwards psychedelia to go with their early afternoon Saturday walk.
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

I'd seen it a couple of times previously, but it had either been rough or over priced.

Comment

The usual bag 'o crap from my local cheapie bins... Can't wait for my first paycheck to start manicly collecting the expensive trophees ...

Last edited by Headless mermaid; 15-09-2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Managed to pop into a local shop after a nice Jazz collection hit the floor. Everything was reasonably well priced but the owner luckily put out the stuff that was unfamiliar at particularly attractive prices . Here's what I came home with (pics not mine):

Leo Burnett Company - Music Music Music
                      Vanity pressing of a breakfast meeting from 1962 where they have a live group performing all their successful jingles in between speeches.

Eddie Jefferson - Still on the planet
                      I love his versions of Bitches Brew and Freedom Jazz Dance from the other LP I have and this has a terrific version of Chameleon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIdy8NpjneE

Clifford Thornton New Art Ensemble - Freedom and Unity
                      I grabbed this mainly cause it looked the business. Only needle dropped but it sounds great - free but not too skronky.

Abdul Wadud - By Myself
                      I'd seen this posted on Waxidermy I think so I took a punt. Again, only had a chance to needledrop but sounds pretty good on first pass.

Norma Winstone - Edge of Time
                      Again, only knew about this from posts on here. Very pleased with this one.

So, all in all quite a pleasant Thursday evening.

Jamie
                      https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Paradise View Post

Norma Winstone - Edge of Time
                        Again, only knew about this from posts on here. Very pleased with this one.

So, all in all quite a pleasant Thursday evening.

Jamie

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Paradise View Post

Abdul Wadud - By Myself
                          I'd seen this posted on Waxidermy I think so I took a punt. Again, only had a chance to needledrop but sounds pretty good on first pass.
                          I listened to it this week and it's so damn good. Well done.

Comment

cheers for that oh divine one, a good yarn.

just grabbed myself a copy of the Faces Ooh La La for a buck, mostly for the mad cover, but I'm quite liking the Fly in the Ointment instrumental.

never been much of a fan of Rod's vocal stylings.

and Randy Newman Orchestra's Peyton Place soundtrack which comes loaded with honking sax and a mid-60s rock and roll-type vibe. Not great but not bad neither. may have it's uses.

Comment

The postman pat delivery...

The Evil - Whatcha Gonna Do About It? - Capitol
                              - mod dancer

The Accent - Red Sky At Night - Parrot - mod dancer

Double Feature Baby - Get Your Head Scewed On - Deram - mod dancer

Michael Moorcock's Deep Fix - Dodgem Dude/Starcruiser - Flickknife - Glam dancer
                              "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Great singles there John mate, just got that 'Evil' myself!

Comment

Working...
                                X