Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agnes_Guano View Post
    The follow up single is even worse...

This fascinates me. So it's a beach party, right? Russ is there with some of his creations, along with George Michael, one of ZZ Top, Strawberry Switchblade, Elton John and Mike Read? Is everyone else seeing this? Who's the woman behind Russ, is that Madonna to the left and who's is the severed head in the sand?

Strawberry Switchblade only really had a profile in Nov/Dec 1985 and early 1986, so I wonder when the decision to include them was made, as they would have been long gone by the time the album came out?
    SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
      Do black people in the South find it offensive? Genuine question.
      Black people in the South are not monolithic in their attitudes - we're talking about a ton of people in many different communities. Some are offended by it, I've seen some black folks fly it, wear it, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
        This fascinates me. So it's a beach party, right? Russ is there with some of his creations, along with George Michael, one of ZZ Top, Strawberry Switchblade, Elton John and Mike Read? Is everyone else seeing this? Who's the woman behind Russ, is that Madonna to the left and who's is the severed head in the sand?

Strawberry Switchblade only really had a profile in Nov/Dec 1985 and early 1986, so I wonder when the decision to include them was made, as they would have been long gone by the time the album came out?
        It looks like Mark Gatiss, but in 1985 he'd probably be about 12.

What intrigues me is that dark object in the sky, it could be a Stealth bomber passing overhead. Sadly it appears to have missed the gathered beach party guests and dropped its bombs on the shoreline, hence the fire behind Strawberry Switchblade/Bananarama/Fidel Castro.

This single is like the Rosetta Stone of record covers. If only we could decipher what the message is and what Russ was trying to tell us, we could learn so much about what everyday life was actually like in the mid-1980s.
        The Downstairs Lounge
        http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
        http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

• Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post

What is the significance of Fidel Castro in the picture?

And what it that ominous black thing in the air - is it a missile

If its an all night holiday why is the sun still in the sky (albeit setting)?

Not sure when the record came out but the inclusion of the other characters doesn't make it impossible it was released in 1985 - although of all the female pop stars to choose they do seem a slightly obscure choice

I agree about the head - very unsettling

Dare I ask about the music
          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

• It reached the dizzy heights of number 20 in the charts back in July 1985. If anything it's worse than Atmosphere.
            The Downstairs Lounge
            http://downstairslounge.wordpress.com/
            http://soundcloud.com/agnes-guano/

Comment

• Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
              Ptolomy Psycon!!!!!!!!!!!
              Originally posted by No, LordNo View Post
              Black people in the South are not monolithic in their attitudes
              Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
              Finds thread is firing big guns in all directions at the moment, great reading.

Nothing Short Ov A VG+ War
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

• The lady behind ghetto blaster Russ is the Duchess of York.
                the head in the sand may be a reference to Ultravox's Thin Wall video
                I wonder how Elton's bowtie is staying on.
                Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by No, LordNo View Post
                  Black people in the South are not monolithic in their attitudes - we're talking about a ton of people in many different communities. Some are offended by it, I've seen some black folks fly it, wear it, etc.
                  I'd say that most find it offensive when it's sported by somebody "proud of their Southern heritage" --nearly always code for racism or self-indulgent historical myopia. And saying that the Civil War was not all about slavery, while true, misses the point by a hella wide margin.

http://hidingplaceplace.com/

Comment

Yeah sure, badly phrased question maybe.

I've spent precisely two weeks in the US South ever, so skating entirely on the surface. I was rather taken aback by seeing the Dixie flag (or versions thereof) on flagpoles in front of official buildings in Mississippi. But, as you say, the meaning is bound to be more complicated than it would seem to the tourist.
                    Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

• Originally posted by beddoes View Post
                      I'd say that most find it offensive when it's sported by somebody "proud of their Southern heritage" --nearly always code for racism or self-indulgent historical myopia. And saying that the Civil War was not all about slavery, while true, misses the point by a hella wide margin.

Like I said as I white Southerner I wouldn't fly it, it's too sensitive. But for some dude from Denmark to come out of the woodwork lecturing someone who might have a legit reason to use it as his avatar as to how "most people" feel about it...doesn't sit right with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
                        Yeah sure, badly phrased question maybe.

I've spent precisely two weeks in the US South ever, so skating entirely on the surface. I was rather taken aback by seeing the Dixie flag (or versions thereof) on flagpoles in front of official buildings in Mississippi. But, as you say, the meaning is bound to be more complicated than it would seem to the tourist.
                        I think seeing it fly on official / state grounds is dodgy personally. But it is more complicated than it only being code for racist ideology.

Comment

• I relied on my diminishing memory to pluck out the dates for Strawberry Switchblade's prominence - their only hit was released in December 84 and got into the Top Ten in January 1985. There must have been a period when Russ was willing them to have another smash in order not to make him look a twat. I don't know where Bananarama come into it, they're clearly not present.

As for the stealth bomber, my interpretation is that it is a bird of ill omen, or perhaps a metaphor for Russ' guilty conscience - a dark stain marring the apparent idyll of the beach party.

Could the head be John Peel? Is that possible?
                          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

• 5 star thread! Who would have thought Russ Abbott and the Confederate flag would have crossed paths
                            some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Like I said as I white Southerner I wouldn't fly it, it's too sensitive. But for some dude from Denmark to come out of the woodwork lecturing someone who might have a legit reason to use it as his avatar as to how "most people" feel about it...doesn't sit right with me.
                              Why not? When did our country stop screwing the rest of the world?

The irony, of course, is that most Americans aren't in a position to comment on domestic matters in other countries, being entirely ignorant of such. Even our presidential candidates can't be bothered to learn what's going on outside our borders.
                              http://hidingplaceplace.com/

Comment

• Hate to tell you this, but the black (plane/bird) isn't on my copy, so may be an imagination of a certain person with their black felt tip pen/marker

Comment

Working...
                                X