• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plainstone
    replied
    Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    Wow!
    Amazing stuff - I can't believe that they were producing this music with almost no knowledge that they sounded like bands in the UK and US - talk about simultaneous creation!

Is it amazingly rare and only findable in Oz?
    There are certainly copies floating around Melbourne. Prices vary dramatically, though (AUS 70-150 range from what I saw).
    The 50 Synth Greats LP is good, and obviously the title is inspired by TG, but Layer on Layer is a work of genius. One of those LPs that makes you want to throw out half your collection.

Leave a comment:

• Expiry2011
    replied
    Originally posted by Plainstone View Post

Btw, I can't recommend the David Chesworth LP highly enough. It's a 2LP version of his first couple of solo efforts and would definitely appeal to the Expiry palate. Some background here.

The Yaraandoo reissue on Votary/Roundtable is pretty damn fine, too. Great label.
    Wow!
    Amazing stuff - I can't believe that they were producing this music with almost no knowledge that they sounded like bands in the UK and US - talk about simultaneous creation!

Is it amazingly rare and only findable in Oz?

Leave a comment:

• Plainstone
    replied
    Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    I bet one or two of you wouldn't have minded, back in the day, limbering-up with Fenella, eh. Eh. Eh..?
    I need to rip that side of the flexi and post it. Saucy stuff

Originally posted by Expiry2011 View Post
    Great finds - would love a copy of the Tasmin Connection
    That copy is VG at best, but that's OK as most of those pictured were trades. Don't be fooled by the price stickers ... very little money changed hands as I'd brought a pile of Japanese stuff over. Only saw one other copy of TC and it was in better nick but AUS30, which is still OK for a great LP in my book.

Did you know that the two Don Burrows Quartet recrords as the same?
    The one with the salmon pink swirly cover is a later issue of the one with the photos of the band on it
    Yep, those are destined for the next One Box Record Fair.

Btw, I can't recommend the David Chesworth LP highly enough. It's a 2LP version of his first couple of solo efforts and would definitely appeal to the Expiry palate. Some background here.

The Yaraandoo reissue on Votary/Roundtable is pretty damn fine, too. Great label.
    Last edited by Plainstone; 30-11-2011, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Expiry2011
    replied
    Originally posted by Plainstone View Post

Aussie upgrades

Great finds - would love a copy of the Tasmin Connection

Did you know that the two Don Burrows Quartet recrords as the same?
    The one with the salmon pink swirly cover is a later issue of the one with the photos of the band on it

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Good work Iain, nice finds - glad you enjoyed Melbourne - a great city IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    I bet one or two of you wouldn't have minded, back in the day, limbering-up with Fenella, eh. Eh. Eh..?

Leave a comment:

• Plainstone
    replied
    Melbourne finds

Just back from a week in Melbourne and here's a selection of what I picked up, plus one snap of some trades action from Waxi.

Any questions, just holler.

Big 'uns

I took a stack of RPs up to the listening station at one shop and the one with the drabbest cover had the winning track.
    Lexical Music is treated voice samples in a Terry Riley/Steve Reich style.

Aussie upgrades

Raer and reissue

These from Waxi.

little 'uns

Flip of this last one is a stonker.
    A-side is awful and on youtube if you dare.

Leave a comment:

• someblokecalledfuz
    replied
    I found one of these at the booter on Sunday - just got around to listening to it - what a smashing little surprise..!

The opening track "I Think I'm In Love" written by one of the school pupils is a right proper synthy disco number..! Good stuff.

Yeah nice find - worth a bit too. It should easily convert into a nice little pile of record tokens if you dangle it over at Waxidermy.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Wicked..! The first track yeah..? Must be - it's the pick to these cloth ears...

Leave a comment:

• BoneyVotel
    replied
    Sorry - the Microwave album is a private press album by the Thomas Wolsey School Band (Ipswich). Early 80's...
    Cool - a track features on my Christmas mix
    Nice find

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Sorry - the Microwave album is a private press album by the Thomas Wolsey School Band (Ipswich). Early 80's...

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    I found one of these at the booter on Sunday - just got around to listening to it - what a smashing little surprise..!

The opening track "I Think I'm In Love" written by one of the school pupils is a right proper synthy disco number..! Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• captainwilloughby
    replied
    great brazilian finds jens - i have that gamboa too - love it, some ones i'd love to score at some point meself!

Leave a comment:

• wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
    I love that 'Namelosers' Jens mate, I think Lee is looking for a copy.
    he might

Leave a comment:

• mr sayers
    replied
    I love that 'Namelosers' Jens mate, I think Lee is looking for a copy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X