February Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Divine One View Post
    One year at hogmanay at the Art School, top Glasgow nite-spot Optimo gave away a free Liquid Liquid 45s at the end of the night. Of course, most young people don't have record players, so many were used as frisbees outside. The next morning on the Optimo message board people said they'd gone up in the morning and just picked up copies off the street. Someone who'd missed the copies on the street went up and found a load... in the bins!
    I remember reading that John's Children took all their copies of the unreleased "Midsummer Night's Scene" 45 to Finsbury Park for a day of record-frisbee. Collector's note before you start digging: these singles are probably no longer in mint...
    Last edited by Mang; 07-03-2012, 08:05 PM.
    Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

• Some kids from my school were in a crap 80s hardcore / punk band called Devastation who made one self-released EP. The vast majority of the copies sat around in the guitarist's mum's house for an age, with many being either frisbeed or melted and turned into ashtrays, flower pots, etc.

He now works in a garage.
      Copies go for £20-£50 each!

Though of curse that may be because they're now quite rare.
      To infinity - and beyond!

Comment

• Originally posted by jakartajive View Post
        Some kids from my school were in a crap 80s hardcore / punk band called Devastation who made one self-released EP. The vast majority of the copies sat around in the guitarist's mum's house for an age, with many being either frisbeed or melted and turned into ashtrays, flower pots, etc.

He now works in a garage.
        Copies go for £20-£50 each!

Though of curse that may be because they're now quite rare.
        Misspelled on purpose?

Would fit and be a nice phrase. Maybe it is?
        "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
        and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

• Originally posted by AlanP View Post
          actually, I think there's another issue here - how the value placed on an item affects the value a punter sees in that item.

in this case the crowd saw no point in claiming those 7s because they were being given away gratis. I doubt the cleaners would have been picking any up if they were being sold at market value.

I regularly see apparently serious collectors flick past fine records simply because they're in the cheapie bin, which, don't get me wrong, is damn fine by me if I get them instead.

so a high price point can operate like a five star review to people who don't know otherwise. wotcha reckon?
          I gather there is research bearing this out.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
          X