Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sie's Chandni Chowk Experience - The Return (Delhi, February 2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• netteworte
    replied
    Ok - I think Charanjit Singh produced hundreds of soundtracks anyway... not all of them can be "Ten Ragas...". Nice turban-bass-combination though.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Originally posted by netteworte View Post
    How's the Charanjit Singh? I only know his amazing "Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat" from the reissue.
    Hi mate ... This album is one of those close but no cigar moments... hints of brilliance but somehow Charanjit just doesn't quite deliver...

Save your money

Leave a comment:

• netteworte
    replied
    Great post, amazing finds!
    I only have the Shaan, but I guess that's entry level stuff
    How's the Charanjit Singh? I only know his amazing "Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat" from the reissue.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Originally posted by peter sundae View Post
    ...you didn't find any Beatles LP's then ?
    I know where they all are...

Leave a comment:

• peter sundae
    replied
    Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
    Oh and I emptied out the Okki when I'd finished...

Starters-

Indian mushroom consommé with french toast.

...you didn't find any Beatles LP's then ?

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Originally posted by pencilface View Post
    Not really in my experience, but then again i haven't got much patience for the more traditional stuff...
    SHALIMAR is pretty strong. SOUL OF BOBBY is meant to be great, but i haven't got a copy so can't comment.
    I agree - Shalimar has about 3-4 decent tracks on it and Soul of Bobby is a great listen all the way through (I saw a copy on this trip - 4000 rupees so that's over 50 quid. Thought about calling Saint Jude back in the UK and then thought again when I checked the condition of the album! )

Mostly tho' - they are 1 or 2 trackers IMHO...

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman View Post
    One of the few good ones I've stumbled across is the Ek Baar Phir that Sie found. It's got one storming track, plus an instrumental version.
    Indeed it has... Phwoar..!

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Originally posted by medlar View Post
    Quick question aimed mainly at Sie V... With this type of gear do you take blind punts or do you go with a specific list of wants?
    The first few times I went to India I just used to be pleased to find records, so anything and everything was a blind punt. Over time, I started to research on-line and find out what LP's were worthy of my rupees. I have over 100 albums now and so I use a wants list these days to focus on those LP's that I really want to find (I have a hopeless memory).

There are still times for having a blind punt on an album - look at the track listing and look for instrumentals - usually called Title Music or Dance Music. I'll always take a cheap punt on those. Anything from 1965 to 1980 should be reasonable (you can go a bit later than usual with yer Bolly's) and of course, anything by the big players of the time - SD Burman, RD Burman etc - should be worthy of a punt.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Originally posted by pencilface View Post
    How's that ZEHREELA INSAAN? I've been idly looking for one, but can't remember why
    I guess you'll be wanting it for the wild and crazy Title Music instrumental. Bit too full on with the orchestra and violins, not a track you could reasonably play out. There is however a short percussion and flute piece on the flip that drops that good ol' Bollyfunk for about a minute thirty. I wouldn't go out of your way specifically to find one of these or spend proper coin...

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Thanks for all your comments. Sorry I've not been around much since the weekend to answer all your Q's, I'm gonna have a go tonight...

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    To elaborate further, I recently found a handful of Indian stuff, and the ghazals of Jagjit Singh & Chitra Singh just blew me away
    Beautiful heartfelt music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSQaPLTGLFw

Leave a comment:

• Saint Jude
    replied
    Originally posted by reza View Post
    some great stuff you picked up, you def got the best version of Deewaar, I picked up the "power packed dialogue" version which misses the best tracks

track
    I have two copies with "power packed dialogue"

Schoolboy error on my part

Leave a comment:

• Saint Jude
    replied
    Originally posted by medlar View Post
    Quick question aimed mainly at Sie V but equally applicable to others on this thread:

With this type of gear do you take blind punts or do you go with a specific list of wants?
    IMHO it's best to know what you are looking for, although you can take a chance on most things by RD Burman up to the early 80's and come up trumps more often than not.

Leave a comment:

• pencilface
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe M'geek View Post
    I hear the words 'one tracker' a lot with bolly stuff.

Any solid albums out there?
    Not really in my experience, but then again i haven't got much patience for the more traditional stuff...
    SHALIMAR is pretty strong. SOUL OF BOBBY is meant to be great, but i haven't got a copy so can't comment. The 3 mentioned by Reza above are more good than bad too.. My collection is all one or two trackers really, which is daft isn't it

Leave a comment:

• reza
    replied
    some great stuff you picked up, you def got the best version of Deewaar, I picked up the "power packed dialogue" version which misses the best tracks

track

and Salaam Memsaab is one of the most underrated bollywood lps imo , totally wacky offbeat stuff with a lot of great humorous anglo indian dialogue in it, wild

track

best though , Yaadon Ki Baaraat, Shaan and Hum Kisise Kum Naheen which is without doubt in the top 5 bolly albums

Leave a comment:

Working...
X