Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utrecht 2012 - the finds

I'll kick this off then.

I didn't buy many LPs this year but I did spuff on a couple of long time want biggies

Great Chappell DMM for a very reasonable sum.
    Swegas was a prearranged buy of Thomas at French Attack. Prog funk business.
    Art - long time want but settled for this cheap German second press.
    Doris - very good price for a very good LP.
    Osmium - decent price for a near perfect copy....and from a very nice UK dealer!!!
    Bonnie St Claire- nabbed on the half price Sunday sale - got it for 'I Surrender' as I've not had a sniff of the 45
    Madeline Bell from a Euro bin - love 'Soul Time' on here.

I was mainly concentrating on the 45s (as usual( and two particular ones in mind I wanted to come home with me....and I found them both!!!I had to over pay a bit on one but swings and roundabouts and all that! Mr Sayers put me on to a lot of these so I'm just going to say a huge 'ta mate' at the top here to him - if you want Euro knowledge dropped - he's your man!!

Pic sleeves first

Found a run of super cheap Ronnie Bird eps - so I picked up the one's I liked and I think this is the pick of the bunch. Great version of 'I Can Only GIve You Everything' on it along with 2 other corkers.
    The Grabbletons - great fuzzy dancer (as you can see from the sleeve ) - they did 2 45s and this is the cheaper and easier to find one.
    Burt Blanca - a bit of googling tells me he's a rockabilly chap who went on to do this - Wryly Smile is the side (link is to Jens copy - hope you don't mind Sir?)
    Los Salvajes - they live up to their name - this was me minting up on this cracking ep.

The Renegades - well known garage punker - thirteen women
    Master Apprentice - four f*ucking killer tracks on this ep! I've wanted a proper copy of 'undecided' for a long time now so to get 3 other top tunes in a oner was a total bonus.
    Choc - 2 45s to their name - I got both and this is one of them - Sayers spin!
    The Scorpions - all about the B side - more snotty garage! Craig you were right they were the UK band.

The Jay Jays - Dutch beat - Bald Headed Woman
    Tower - Slow Motion Mind - comes on a bit like a psychier version of Brian Auger Trinity.
    Outsiders - Cheapy Dutch beat classic
    Babylon - coming your way Sie.

Les Baroques - great poppy garage - it the other side you want, 'Such a Cad'.
    Motions - Wedding of the Hundred Brides is a later effort by the Dutch beat band. Love this.
    More cheap Ronnie and more ace covers.
    Can - Vitamin C / I'm So Green - 'nuff said!

The Smoke - sort of a rewrite of My Friend Jack but great stuff and very cheap - Have Some More Tea - could be mine and Nige's theme tune!
    L'Ame Son - Killer track from a killer LP!
    Los Salvajes - more rawness and a Stones cover.
    Les Problemes - one superb track on here - pulled out of the same cheapy pile as the Ronnie Bird stuff.

Yet more Ronnie
    V cheap copy of the Classic French Garage ep also featuring Les Problemes - going to get rid of the LP now I think.
    Another Smoke cheapy - later era though.
    Group 1850 - great bit of euro psych - Mother No Head

The other Choc 45
    Cheap Q65 - ace but want the one Craig got though!
    Theo Schuman - ace instro dancer with fuzz and stuff!
    Q65 - their first I think? Brilliant whatever - You're the Victor

Rumplestiltskin - another LP out the door
    Dentists - Fuzzy oral hygene themed dancer - the Dentist
    Swinging Soul Machine - Stop the Machine is great but not as good as the Mec-Op Singers version.
    Ye Ye version of Satisfaction.

Alan Trajan - want a UK one but this'll do for now - Speak To Me Clarissa
    Cindy and Bert - long time want and first time I've ever come across it at Utrecht - stone minter too.
    July - the Way - different version from the LP - no sign of a Dandelion Seeds though.
    Driftin Five - Hard Headed Baby - the first of the two big wants - Utrecht Band! I overpaid for this but when am I going to see it again?

Roubaix OST masterpiece - lovely stuff!
    Mickey Finn - Garden of My Mind - this cleaned out my wallet on Sunday but it was worth it.
    Inner Space - Kamera Song - I like Can and I like this funnily enough - the lads were all admiring the sleeve on Saturday night for some reason.
    The Zipps - Kicks and Chicks - the other big want - I knew I'd find this one though. Got a great copy for a reasonable price. The best Euro garage 45s there is for my money - they played it live on Saturday too!

non pic sleeves

Big Sie-Fly - best thing they ever did to my ears.

VG+ classic which I never had on 45 before.

US 60s Punk classic which I never had until now.

Great US fuzzer - Mr Kirby

Euro press of UK psych classic - good two sider too!

More US fuzz -very stompy!

Their version of Louie Louie is what they're know for but this is great too - It's Not Easy

Surfaris last 45 when they'd embraced the fuzz pedal! Search.

Can't resist covers of this song. It's decent but I've got better.

Garage version of a VG+ staple. Great version too - not sure if this is the same bad that ended up on Rare Earth?

..and to end on a predictable note - more fuzzy US 60s gear - Evelyn

Happy with what I got but I was very jealous of Nige's great psych LP haul, some of Mr Sayers superb 45s, Fuz's stash (put that LP to one side for me please) and Mr Divine's far flung and eclectic haul - I need to take more risks

Loved every minute though.
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Fantastic stuff mate - i'm getting out of breath here - thanks a lot for the picking that Babylon up for me ......glad you found the only decent track Ten Years After did !!!
    Some amazing records there - Osmium is so damn good .... i'd better start saving now for 2013 !
    Rockwell
    Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Killing it there Lee mate, very jealous of some of your finds especially The Grabbletons and Doris. It was great going back to back with you on the digging front again, don't be so modest your equally as knowledgable as me on the Euro 45 front!
      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

You'd love it Sie mate!!!!

Originally posted by Sie-Fly View Post
        i'd better start saving now for 2013 !
        Hope you can make it!

Comment

Looking good... DEFINITELY going to save up and attend next year haha!

Have a few of those above... Dentists is fun, played that last month at Tanners, once had a UK Mickey Finn but had to sell on - would love the euro P/S copy... There is a 2nd EP of the Masters Apprentices (albeit in a red coloured sleeve - same image) which collects up another 4 from the LP... amazing band...

If you have a lesser copy of that Salvajes with sitar EP let me know mate I may require one - got a bunch of Salvajes in Barcelona in may but don't think that one was in there...

Comment

Really good buys Lee! Reckon overall you would have got a really good deal, some pretty "in demand" titles there & as an afterthought surely its an impossibility to overpay for that Driftin Five single! .......very jealous :-(
            The Sound of Salvation blog

Final Upgrade Genuine Archive Item
            Vault mint

Comment

Originally posted by antwhiplash2 View Post
              Really good buys Lee! Reckon overall you would have got a really good deal, some pretty "in demand" titles there & as an afterthought surely its an impossibility to overpay for that Driftin Five single! .......very jealous :-(
              Thank you Sir! Only saw one copy of the D5 single all weekend and I was kind of determined it was coming home with me Shame I could get a dealer to budge on the price of that Michel Legrand 'Un Homme est Mort' 45 though...

Comment

Great single mate!

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                Thank you Sir! Only saw one copy of the D5 single all weekend and I was kind of determined it was coming home with me
                What was the dealers crack about it having a rare sleeve or something?

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                  What was the dealers crack about it having a rare sleeve or something?
                  Yes - tried to tell me it was the original first press colouring of letters on the sleeve - I think it was a load of rubbish - can't see this ever getting more than one press

Comment

ok, so I also posted this in the other thread.

I'm very happy and very broke

Comment

Very nice - what do you think of the Leaf Hound? I struggle with it a bit....and I have no poster.

Comment

me neither, but you can't actually play that poster as far as I heard

Great hard rock, the way I like it. Good vocals and good guitar work. Very led zeppelin-ish, in a good way. So yes, very pleased with it, though I wouldn't fork out 4.000 for the original Uk ...

Comment

Here are a few of my finds... I bought some more, including Chet Baker - Chet Is Back (german press), a nice Miles Davis 10" on Prestige etc, but my camera kind of died before I photographed them all...

I had a really great time in Utrecht this year, and traded/bought some great records, thanks to Vinylspot, Houman, Swejazz, etc. Definitely going again next time!
                          http://thejazzkid.tumblr.com

Comment

Lovely stuff Lee. As always the 45's all sounded awesome and it pains me I miss out on so much great stuff being more LP based. Speaking of LP's, Doris was a steal and the Parliament LP...damn! Wish I'd visited his stall but like most of us there the UK sellers are just so hard to deal with and prices to match. Richie is at least one of the exceptions.

@Mescal...Lovely stuff there mate. I should perhaps adopt that quality over quantity approach but I just can't help myself
                            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I very nearly pulled the trigger on a Belladonna....one of the many I'll no doubt have grippers regret within the coming months.
                              "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Working...
                              X